I have a question for our British friends.

arktrucker

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I was watching Sherlock last week on PBS and noticed in a couple of scenes escalators. What makes me want to ask this question is I noticed the up escalator was on the left side of the pair with the down on the right. I was wondering if this was a standard in the UK. It seems to me ours are the opposite with the up on the right and the down on the left. I know its a strange question but, those are the kind I like.

Yep, I think so - it seems to correspond with which side of the road we're used to driving on.

On pavement, a lot of ppl seem to stay to the left, too (if there's not much room).

B_subgirrl

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Yep, I think so - it seems to correspond with which side of the road we're used to driving on.

On pavement, a lot of ppl seem to stay to the left, too (if there's not much room).

What joll said. It's the same here. Escalators up on the left, escalators down on the right. I didn't realise it was different in the US!

arktrucker

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
What joll said. It's the same here. Escalators up on the left, escalators down on the right. I didn't realise it was different in the US!

I thought about it a little more and even the people movers at the airports are to the right. It must have something to do with driving rules. Thanks guys for your responses.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I also have a question for our British friends. I am hooked on watching the Lark's Rise To Candleford series. I am on season 2 and so far my favorite characters are Twister, Minnie, and Laura's father.

Am I a hopless sentimental sap? Or does everyone see bucolic fin de siecle charm in this series?

MarkLondon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
On the London Underground it varies. However there is one strict rule: if you're not going to walk up or down the moving escalator, then STAND ON THE RIGHT. People in a hurry will then pass you on the left (there are always people in a hurry in London).

Am I a hopless sentimental sap? Or does everyone see bucolic fin de siecle charm in this series?
It's ideal telly for having a Sunday night in. I tend to be on the PS3 tho, lol.

It's Downton Abbey this year, if you're interested. :wink:

Jason

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
In the UK there is absolutely no rule about which side of the pavement to walk on. If there were we would all break it as a way of expressing the rights of the free Brit.

Escalators tend to be left up, right down, but again there is no rule.

D_Andreas Sukov

Account Disabled
Media
Guys....I think it's safe to tell our American cousins about the etiquette police.

Yes, we do have some strict rules on the whole left and right issue of everything. We are usually lenient with Tourists and people who were not born here, but those of us who were can get in real trouble. Why else would we all stick to it?

Even talking about this can get you in Serious trouble.

Hmmm, some strange people at the door...

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yes :wink:.

Thanks Drift. I needed that. We do watch it on Sunday evenings, of course, and only when it is cold outside.

Actually, I love period pieces of any kind. Especially British ones. I am fascinated by the language, the accents, and the scenery.

The characters in LR2C can also be entertaining for me because British actors always are always spotted at least 10 additional thespian points by Americans regardless of how well they are acting. I am unapologetic when I say that Twister and Minnie make me laugh.

Its not dark enough for normal American tastes, though. Each story thread wraps up too tidily and too quickly, for Americans, I think. We would rather be tortured by bad news and assured that it is inevitable.

As Dorcas would say, this fascination with period pieces is "my one weakness." For my other viewing, I am down with The Wire, Dexter, Breaking Bad, Weeds, The Walking Dead, Madmen, and Boardwalk Empire. This way the mayhem, violence, and moral ambiguity of American TV rescues me from the pastoral life in Candelford before I become a hopeless romantic.

I do want one of those telegraph devices in the Post Office, though. The clock maker, Fisher, said it was a Wheatstone, but I can't find any information for it on the Internet. Wheatstone did invent and produce a bridge style telegraph, but nothing like that model as far as I can see.

Edit: Actually, I did find it. A Wheatstone ABC

Last edited:

hud01

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
On the London Underground it varies. However there is one strict rule: if you're not going to walk up or down the moving escalator, then STAND ON THE RIGHT. People in a hurry will then pass you on the left (there are always people in a hurry in London).
In the US you get the people with their head up their arse who fail to follow this common logic

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Do post office trucks in England have the steering wheel on the left? Here the only vehicles that I know of that have the steering wheel on the right are those of the US Postal Service.

MarkLondon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Do post office trucks in England have the steering wheel on the left? Here the only vehicles that I know of that have the steering wheel on the right are those of the US Postal Service.

No they don't. I suppose yours have the driver on the "wrong" side so they can get out on the pavement side easily on their frequent stops? That's quite a good idea!

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
No they don't. I suppose yours have the driver on the "wrong" side so they can get out on the pavement side easily on their frequent stops? That's quite a good idea!

Yes and also so they can place mail into curbside mailboxes without having to get out, I'm guessing.