Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
More proof that racism is alive and well in America. :mad: :frown1:

The Jena 6 Case is History Written in Lightning
Trey EllisWed Sep 19, 12:41 PM ET

If you don't know who the Jena 6 are, you are not alone. The first I heard about the black high school teens being railroaded through the Louisiana criminal justice system was last week when I received an email urging me to wear black Thursday the 20th in their support.

The first Sean Hannity heard about it was last night when Reverend Al was trying to bring it up and Hannity assumed he was talking about Megan Williams, the young black woman who was tortured and sexually assaulted by those crazy hillbillies in West Virginia. Cryptkeeper Colmes tried to explain but as usual Hannity didn't hear a word he said.

The Jena 6 case began last fall when a new black student to the mostly white, rural Louisiana town of Jena sat under the "white tree," so called because it was the place where the white kids at school congregated.
The next day three white boys on the rodeo team hung three nooses from the tree.

The white boys were only given an in-school suspension, their act deemed no more than a "prank."

The day after that several of the school's black high school football stars organized a peaceful silent protest under the tree. The school freaked, called in the police and the next day Reed Walters, the local D.A.,
addressed the school. There, he is reported to have looked at the black kids in the audience, waved his pen in the air and said, "With a stroke of this pen, I can make your life disappear."

The football season was a good one for Jena and for a few months there was relative quiet in the town. Then on November 30th, a wing of the high school was burned down. Whites thought it was blacks and the blacks assumed it was the whites.

The always excellent Wade Goodman of NPR reported what happened next:

"The next night, 16-year-old Robert Bailey and a few black friends tried to enter a party attended mostly by whites. When Bailey got inside, he was attacked and beaten. The next day, tensions escalated at a local convenience store. Bailey exchanged words with a white student who had been at the party. The white boy ran back to his truck and pulled out a pistol grip shotgun. Bailey ran after him and wrestled him for the gun.
After some scuffling, Bailey and his friends took the gun away and brought it home. Bailey was eventually charged with theft of a firearm, second-degree robbery and disturbing the peace. The white student who pulled the weapon was not charged at all.

The following Monday, Dec. 4, a white student named Justin Barker was loudly bragging to friends in the school hallway that Robert Bailey had been whipped by a white man on Friday night. When Barker walked into the courtyard, he was attacked by a group of black students. The first punch knocked Barker out and he was kicked several times in the head. But the injuries turned out to be superficial. Barker was examined by doctors and released; he went out to a social function later that evening.
Six black students were arrested and charged with aggravated assault. But District Attorney Reed Walters increased the charges to attempted second-degree murder."

The first black kid to go to court, Mychal Bell, then 16, was tried as an adult and convicted by an all-white jury. He faced 22 years in prison. After an outcry the charges were reduced; however, tomorrow Mychal Bell is to be sentenced on the lesser charges.

The white kids who attacked Bailey the night before have not been charged with anything.

As always happens in these cases, the blacks say of course there has always been racism in this little town, and the whites say their little town is just like any other small town full of good, churchgoing folk.

What white Southerners still fail to realize is their complicity in some of the most vicious and effective terrorism the world has ever seen. Lynchings were only the most visible and brutal embodiments of a system to terrorize the black minority. A noose is a symbol the way a swastika is a symbol. A noose hanging from a tree in that context is an almost unimaginably vicious act. Those white teens, instead of being ashamed of their terrorist ancestry, reveled in the evil. The adults who are charged with the education of all the students deemed it merely a prank.

The scariest part of this ordeal is that you know these boys are the relatively lucky ones for whom publicity might spare them. How many other black lives are still thrown away at the whim of our broken justice system?

avantgarde

Experimental Member
Media
i Was going to ask if anyone had heard about this, but I figured it might have been beaten to death with all the other racial stuff being thrown around.

I wore my black today, but i'm still not sure what the outcome of the sentencing was today. I'm keeping my ear to the ground. let us know what's the most recent news.

tim36

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
At most those 6 should have been suspended for a week from school and then thats all. To have this go to trial and possible 20+ plus years in jail for a fight, and the one who had to go to the hopsital, was released the same night, how is that fair or right? I wore black today too, I hope this whole case will be thrown out of court, but I know this wont be the case. I too will keep watch on this.

avantgarde

Experimental Member
Media
At most those 6 should have been suspended for a week from school and then thats all. To have this go to trial and possible 20+ plus years in jail for a fight, and the one who had to go to the hopsital, was released the same night, how is that fair or right? I wore black today too, I hope this whole case will be thrown out of court, but I know this wont be the case. I too will keep watch on this.

I just did some looking around looks like The court decided that it was garbage about mychal bell and overturned the conviction. EXCELLENT!

With all the charges that asshole Walters was trying to push on the others (attempted second degree murder etc.) it was really closer to 80-100 years in prison if convicted on all counts. Which is down right ridiculous.

tim36

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I just did some looking around looks like The court decided that it was garbage about mychal bell and overturned the conviction. EXCELLENT!

With all the charges that asshole Walters was trying to push on the others (attempted second degree murder etc.) it was really closer to 80-100 years in prison if convicted on all counts. Which is down right ridiculous.

Excellent news, this whole thing should be thrown out of court, shouldnt have been in court in the first place.

D_Sir Fitzwilly Wankheimer III

Experimental Member
Media

not just a fight they almost killed the kid. in the US you go to jail for that infact they should have been charged as a hate crime. I find it ironic when a white guy beats up a black guy it's always a hate crime. when a black guy beats up a white guy it's just a simple assault.

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
not just a fight they almost killed the kid. in the US you go to jail for that infact they should have been charged as a hate crime. I find it ironic when a white guy beats up a black guy it's always a hate crime. when a black guy beats up a white guy it's just a simple assault.

Maybe Im not following this correctly but almost killed what kid? A beatdown is almost killing someone?

You must mean the white kid who went to get his gun almost killed someone.

avantgarde

Experimental Member
Media

you OBVIOUSLY don't know the story... read the original post...

matter of fact, read up on the Jena Six before you say anything else. The guy was released that night and was in public joking with friends that very night ...he was FAR from "almost killed" and in fact, it was just a school fight. white guys JUMPED a black kid at a party and they were charged with nothing. You've only listened to what someone told you, please educate yourself.

There was violence and malicious acts going back and forth...especially a white man brandishing a shotgun at two black kids in a convenience store (brandishing a weapon is ILLEGAL in public if you have no license to do so, which this guy didn't) but guess who was charged...the black kids for taking the gun from him before he got a chance to shoot them with it. They were charged with theft of a fire arm.

I'm just going to say, research, digest, think, read, think, read, digest, think, THEN post.

Experimental Member
Media
Maybe Im not following this correctly but almost killed what kid? A beatdown is almost killing someone?

You must mean the white kid who went to get his gun almost killed someone.

Are you saying that if a black kid went around braging about his freinds beating up a white kid then was knocked out and kicked In the head several times by white kids that they would just be suspended? Al and Jesse would be on that like flies on shit. I forgot. Tawana Brawley was a seperate incident.

I'm not justifying anyone's actions but if I beat the shit out of everyone that pissed me off I'd would have been on death row years ago. Believe me I think there are a lot of people that need a good ass kicking but until it becomes legal i'll wait for the first punch... or shot. Act like an animal, get caged like one.

tim36

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay

He hardly was "almost killed" as you say, he had to go to the hospital, was treated, and even went to a party that his words, he was planning to go to for 11 years. Hardly grounds for a group to spend 20+ years in prison because of.

And there was simmering tensions way before this incident in Jena, and black youths were also jumped by a group of white students and hurt, but they werent in danger of being sent to prison for 20+ years.

Like I said, this whole thing should be dropped, these charges to possibly send these youths to 20+ years in prison.

Its sad that this is the year 2007, almost going into 2008 and this type of thing is still happening in the United States.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Thanks, njqt, for enlightening those here about the background of this Jena 6 debacle. Judging from some comments made in another post (relative to certain comments by Jackson), some here were apparently uninformed about the history of this case, in particular that there was an attempt to ratchet up the charges against these kids to attempted 2nd degree murder, before the public got wind of it.

While no one condones assult whomever the perpetrator or the victim, the fact that both parties weren't being pursued in the courts with equal venom speaks volumes, and is ample proof enough that this racism we're all imagining is apparently still alive and well.

BTW, seeing as how I mentioned that other post: I can understand why a person like Obama, a candidate for the presidency, might not be as vocal about the incident as some would like. Apparently, from his recent statements, Jackson has come to understand it too... has come to understand that people running for public office can't be at liberty to say everything they think - especially things that people don't want to hear.

Hell, the Republican Party campaign organizers know that. They've proven it time and time again.

People want smoke blown up their bums. Remember Mondale in the 1984 election? "Mr. Reagan will raise taxes, and so will I," he said. "He won't tell you, I just did."

Yeah.... smart move.

YourAvgGuy

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Our university joined with several other local universities in the area to demonstrate and become more educated on the case. In support, I too wore all black today.

I think a lot of people open their mouths sometimes when they are not abreast of all the issues at hand. Research is crucial and self-investigation when you verbally decide to engage in discourse. Obviously some have not educated themselves enough to know the facts behind the case. For those, I would say study and make yourself approved before making yourself look like a potential idiot.

Discourse is healthy in debate but when facts are unknown and people begin speaking with emotion rather than intelligence and grounded facts, it becomes likes a spreading cancer that inevitably corrodes the the gist of what it is you are debating about. Negativity continues breeds hate; hell, sometimes I wonder if that is truly what our country is built and founded on. Examine yourself and listen to what you are saying. Some of the comments being made here fuel hate.

Think about it.

Experimental Member
Media
you OBVIOUSLY don't know the story... read the original post...

matter of fact, read up on the Jena Six before you say anything else. The guy was released that night and was in public joking with friends that very night ...he was FAR from "almost killed" and in fact, it was just a school fight. white guys JUMPED a black kid at a party and they were charged with nothing. You've only listened to what someone told you, please educate yourself.

There was violence and malicious acts going back and forth...especially a white man brandishing a shotgun at two black kids in a convenience store (brandishing a weapon is ILLEGAL in public if you have no license to do so, which this guy didn't) but guess who was charged...the black kids for taking the gun from him before he got a chance to shoot them with it. They were charged with theft of a fire arm.

I'm just going to say, research, digest, think, read, think, read, digest, think, THEN post.

"The first punch knocked Barker out and he was kicked several times in the head" - from the orinal post. The rest of your naration is heresay. I saw the photos of the kid in the hospital. It wasn't your average school yard scuffle.

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
The whole thing just made me want to cry. I have heard that the tree was cut down and is now just a stump.

When I first read about this a couple of weeks ago, I shuddered for a couple of reasons--firstly because of the racism that is alive and well in Jena, and secondly, because of what Jena and Jena High School mean to this board.

avantgarde

Experimental Member
Media
"The first punch knocked Barker out and he was kicked several times in the head" - from the orinal post. The rest of your naration is heresay. I saw the photos of the kid in the hospital. It wasn't your average school yard scuffle.

hearsay? where's the counterpoints the official reports?

Interview with the parents and a Journalist.
YouTube - The case of the Jena six- Racism in Louisiana - pt 1

YouTube - The case of the Jena six- Racism in Louisiana - pt 2

YouTube - The case of the Jena six- Racism in Louisiana - pt 3

YouTube - The case of the Jena six- Racism in Louisiana - pt 4

YouTube - The case of the Jena six- Racism in Louisiana - pt 5

YouTube - The case of the Jena six- Racism in Louisiana - pt 6

I'm not going to argue with you. 200,000 people minimum + the BBC and French media have found the case unjust.

Caseptla Bailey, mother of Robert Bailey, Jr. asked Dr. Alan Bean of University of Texas-Arlington, founder and director of Friends of Justice, a faith-based organization that works on criminal justice reform -- to come to Jena.
Bean, who is white, did what many black people do all the time when it comes to race: He connected the dots to reveal a pattern. But white people often look at the same scenario and see someone drawing lines in thin air.

“I realized if no one intervened, these kids were going to end up with felony convictions that they would be dragging with them through their lives,” Bean said. “I didn't really think they were going to get 80 years in prison, but I thought they might end up with a decade or two. . . .Young black males are going to prison in bizarre numbers.”

EDIT:

Please forgive some of the parents' and students' inarticulate speech. It's the DEEP south after all.

Experimental Member
Media

Thank God fro the BBC and the French Media to set me straight. Silly me what was I thinking?