John Kerry

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
I voted for Kerry. Bush did not get a mandate. He got 51 % of the vote. 49% voted against him. And the religious right turn out in droves. And there weren't enough ballots in Democratic areas in Ohio.

Having said that. There were problems with John Kerry.

The nomination goes to the New Hamshire winner. John Kerry was from a neigboring state. Had it been a national primary, I don't know that he would have been the nominee.

Bush has some major weaknesses. John Kerry simply failed to conmmunicate that to the American public enough. For instance. the Reublicans really talked about the Contract with America. And went on and on and on about that Balanced Budget Amendment. But when Bush came into office with control of both parties and the White House look what happened.

Clinton has a surplus. Doesn't matter if it was a result of what someone else did. He still had a surplus. First thing Bush did was reduce taxes and incrase spending and created the largest debt in American history. Did Kerry really communcate this fact to the American people. No Kerrry did not.

Kerry failed to really expose Haliburton and its role in the Iraq war.

Kerry failed to point out that Bush while pushing his Federal Marriage Amendment was also quoted as favoring civil unions for gays.

Chaney was against that amendment. The Republicans were divided. But Kerry didn't communicate that fact to the American people.

Kerry should have come up with his own amendment such no state has to recognize the marriage in another state of two people of the same gender.

Almost the same. But we all know that the Marraige Amendment is going the way of the Balanced Budget Amendment.

That was alll a ploy to get the religious right out to vote.

We knew then that nuclear bombs were targeting Calif from North Korea. Kerry should have kept hammering that.

North Korea has admitted that they have those bombs and have the ability to hit the United States western area. But alas, North Korea has no oil. We are not going to go after those Weapons of Mass Destruction. The Bush Adminstration has decided that those weapons of mass destruction pointed at Calf. are not dangerous.

But we are going to invade Iran because they MIGHT develop them. No, we want their oil wells. The whole world sees this.

Kerry foolishly wrote of states like Arkansas where the Democrats hold a huge majority in the state legislature and both Senators are Democrats. Kerry should have target some of those sates and gone after their vote.

Kerry out debated Bush in all debates, but didn't deliver the punch that he could have.

Bush won because he was more shrewd then Kerry. Bush will do anything wiht a straight face. Kerry tried to be honest. That is a mistake in American politics. Goldwater told us the truth about Vietnam and he lost by a landslide. Johnson knew that Goldwater was right, but Johnson outfoxed Goldwater and made Goldwater to look like a war demon.

Actually it was Johnson who screwed up that war and the American people listened to Johnson about that war in 1964 and we are still paying for it.

Bush did the same thing to Kerry. Kerry was telling us the real story but Bush outsmarted him in discusing that war. America will come to realize this after the damage has already been done. After we go into Iran we will be over extended and at the mercy of the world.

So one poster wanted someone to tell what Kerry did or did not do that caused him to loss. So I hope this post will explain at least part of the reason.

Originally posted by carolinacurious@Feb 17 2005, 10:51 PM
This was inspired by Onslow in the Negroponte thread where he said:

Mind you this does not change the fact that my vote and support of Junior still stands and as I have stated in the past it was in large part because of the election alternatives, a view which I maintain even this very day.

I thought it might be better to break this out into its own thread.

So here's my question. What was so bad about Kerry? IMO he wasn't perfect but few are. I'm trying to figure out if the reasons people didn't like Kerry had any basis in reality. Most of the reasons I've heard so far had much more to do with 20 year old (largely inaccurate even then) stereotypes of Democrats than they had to do with the man. But I'm listening.
[post=284121]Quoted post[/post]​

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
And, Onslow, that's the problem: War on drugs. War on poverty. War on terror. It never works. And you might want to read Orwell wrt perpetual warfare. It doesn't matter if it's against Eurasia or Eastasia; the real war is against the proles of Oceania.

9/11 didn't have that much economic impact. It might've caused the Dow to fall an eighth of a point. And certainly Bush's deficits had an effect. But it would require someone really different from the Republicrats to fix the economy. It would require a paradigm shift, one where punishing corrupt executives isn't taboo. One where people realize that the working class, not the executives, actually produces the materials.

BTW, if it's against terrorists, why are they attacking everyone but the terrorists? You need to look no further than our "allies" the Saudis.

orionsword57:
Originally posted by carolinacurious@Feb 17 2005, 10:28 PM
.....what I was really looking for, at least at first,.... was the people who weren't really crazy about Bush but still couldn't bring themselves to vote for Kerry.
[post=284180]Quoted post[/post]​

I've thought about this a lot, and while I am uncomfortable with Bush (who is really no different than most politicos because they are bought and paid for), I just couldn't get comfortable with Kerry. He didn't do very good soundbite, which is what the people need now. Joe Klein had a pretty good article in Time a few issues ago in which he touches on this very point. Bush comes across as being able to think and act quickly (of course, it's easy to do so when you have your decisions scripted for you), and Kerry looked like a plodder who might have to worry about what his wife thought. I don't think it was the media, or Viet Nam, or any specific event. I think it was the concern about his confidence and/or his ability to respond quickly. You just didn't feel that way about John Kennedy or FDR.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
And that's the problem. The media are responsible for soundbytes. You're saying you didn't vote for Kerry because he wasn't good enough at spin. Lovely.

You see, the average soundbyte isn't enough time to explain it. Back in 1960, Nixon typically spoke for 60 seconds. By 1988, the average soundbyte was down to 9.2 seconds. As of 1998, it was eight seconds and falling. You try to explain something in eight seconds; anything worth explaining will require several minutes to several hours.

It didn't help matters that Bush had all kinds of media plants, and actually wouldn't let non-plants in on his campaign..

B_RoysToy

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Yeah, but in spite of this we are still told that we have a democracy! Our democratic days ended when George stepped into the White House.

It didn't help matters that Bush had all kinds of media plants, and actually wouldn't let non-plants in on his campaign..
[post=289903]Quoted post[/post]​
[/quote]

KinkGuy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Hell, if you don't prove you're a republican and sign a loyalty oath, US Citizens aren't even allowed to attend the shrub's town hall meetings and Q&A sessions (kathump, that was the sound of me laughing my ass off) which they claim are an open forum. :grr:

KinkGuy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Originally posted by madame_zora@Mar 10 2005, 06:35 PM
Whew! I'm just glad it wasn't your balls!
[post=289941]Quoted post[/post]​

In most cases (but not always) my balls are no laughing matter! At least to me.

B_RoysToy

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Originally posted by madame_zora@Mar 11 2005, 10:35 AM
No laughing matter at all, more like national treasures. *packs them snugly under her breasts for safe keeping*
[post=290082]Quoted post[/post]​

Strange how male and female minds can work so much alike. I would be happy to pack KinkGuy's big balls snugly under mine for safe keeping, too.

orionsword57:
Originally posted by jonb@Mar 10 2005, 03:25 PM
... You're saying you didn't vote for Kerry because he wasn't good enough at spin. Lovely.....
[post=289903]Quoted post[/post]​

I can see how you might read that into my post. I was talking about people in general (in my estimation) and not myself with regards to soundbites, which was a non-secquitur. My problem was that I want to vote FOR someone rather than vote against someone just for the sake of it. I wanted to really believe that Kerry was the person I feel should lead the Party and the country, but I couldn't get there. I was spoiled by Kennedy abd Roosevelt and keep looking for someone who can capture people's minds and hearts in the same way they did. If we are to have a true change in the right direction, it can't be lead by someone who doesn't have that kind of charisma, like it or not in this day and age. Bush is in there because of Reagan's charisma (in the final analysis) and Gore's lack of it, and I guess most people didn't want to unseat a wartime president.

In truth, I didn't vote for either man, only participating in local elections. I know some folks will think that's lousy, but it was where I was in the booth.