Lack of diversity in LGBTQ+ tv shows and how it has an effect in the real world

HOU_HEADHUNTER

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
This thread is interesting. I'll share my 2 cents. I've noticed for a while that there is a lack of positive representation of black LGBTQ, to be specific, in LGBTQ media. Whenever I'd watch something that was listed as LGBTQ I'd watch with the understanding that IF there are black men in the movie they may just be fillers to make the scenes look more diverse or they may be supporting characters. As of recently I haven't really been watching much mainstream media for that reason. With social media and the internet the representation that black LGBTQ desire is available in web series. While they may look low budget in some cases they still tend to be very entertaining so imagine what those creatives could do if they had a good budget and good quality electronics to record with. The last great series that was somewhat mainstream that consisted of a predominately black cast was Noah's Arc.

Reactions: Fishsqueezee69

Fishsqueezee69

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I

I remember watching many BL films when I was in undergrad. “The Love of Siam” absolutely destroyed me in all the right ways lol.
Love of Siam is a beautiful movie, and often considered the first Thai BL, though I think that honor belongs to Love Sick The Series.

I don't know if it's the lack of diversity or not, but western gay/queer series don't interest me anymore. Well, Heartstoppers is an exception. And Young Royals.

wsnki07

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Love of Siam is a beautiful movie, and often considered the first Thai BL, though I think that honor belongs to Love Sick The Series.

I don't know if it's the lack of diversity or not, but western gay/queer series don't interest me anymore. Well, Heartstoppers is an exception. And Young Royals.
OMG that scene when Mew was doing his rehearsal and everyone realized he was referring to Tong :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

now I gotta see this movie again. Lemme brace myself for the feels again LOL

Reactions: Fishsqueezee69

Fishsqueezee69

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
OMG that scene when Mew was doing his rehearsal and everyone realized he was referring to Tong :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

now I gotta see this movie again. Lemme brace myself for the feels again LOL
The scene at the end when Mew puts the nose on the doll, then cries because he feels that just like the doll, his life feels more complete because he knows that Tong loves him (but they can't be boyfriends).

I cry every time.

bigboaster

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
There has always been lots of diversity of lgbt shows. The OP was essentially upset that the most popular media wasn't "diverse" in his opinion (which I still take issue with) This is usually such a narrow critique that is full of confirmation bias

Reactions: FrankieGuile

FrankieGuile

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
There has always been lots of diversity of lgbt shows. The OP was essentially upset that the most popular media wasn't "diverse" in his opinion (which I still take issue with) This is usually such a narrow critique that is full of confirmation bias
Spot on. I'll add that casual observation would lead one to conclude LGBTQ+ is overrepresented in shows in proportion to their standing in the general population. It simply might be the case those shows are under-watched and get cancelled. The free market is a bitch like that.

AfterHours69

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
San Francisco (California, United States)
Verification
View

FrankieGuile

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Love you for this, but they mind’s made up. Blindfold on eyes, fingers in ears. They know what they feel, facts be damned, and that’s all that matters. I’m cynical, yes, but experience has made me this way.
Give yourself a break. A realistic perspective born of experience is not cynicism.

Reactions: AfterHours69

bigboaster

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
This post was made in February 2023 complaining about "lack of diversity"...

yet I was able to find at least 22 films from 2022 that featured non-white main characters, and this is obviously not a complete list by any means nor does it include television series.

Fire Island (Ensemble cast - 2 Asian leads, 1 NB latino, 1 plus size black man)

Lonesome (1 black lead)

My Fake Boyfriend (1 black lead, 1 arab love interest)

Cobalt Blue (2 brown leads) Indian film

Sisid - (2 filipino leads) Filipino film

They/Them (Ensemble cast, 1 black transwoman, 1 black male)

Tell the World I Love You (2 thai leads) Thai film

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (2 hispanic leads)

Golden Delicious (2 asian leads)

Will-o'-the-Wisp (1 black lead) Brazilian film

Egoist (2 asian leads) Japanese film

Barrio Boy (1 Hispanic lead)

The Inspection (1 black lead)

Not Out (2 brown leads) Indian film

FrankieGuile

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay

yet I was able to find at least 22 films from 2022 that featured non-white main characters, and this is obviously not a complete list by any means nor does it include television series.

Lonesome (1 black lead)

Good list...didn't see one of them. I think I represent the majority of the market in that regard but, as your list shows, the choice was there to make.

halcyondays

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
It simply might be the case those shows are under-watched and get cancelled. The free market is a bitch like that.

^This.

I will add my opinion that most shows don't know when to stop. I rarely make it through the third season, movie or book of any series because the stories & characters become so repetitious or go completely off the rails.

IMO a good story has a beginning a middle and an end. Even if the end leaves me hanging it's better that the story isn't milked to death for $$$.

As for representation this old Boomer is and has been very happy to see the explosion of LGBTQ+ content, writers, authors and actors in print and film over the years. It's amazingly rich compared to what it used to be and is only going to get better. :cool:

badd mamma jamma

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight

Lonesome (1 black lead)

Nice list, but we're talking strictly about American movies not foreign films.

badd mamma jamma

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Up until very recently like over the last couple of years has there been an increase in LGBTQ content. When you try and state facts bring your receipt as NeNe Leeks says.

bigboaster

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
Nice list, but we're talking strictly about American movies not foreign films.
Is American media superior? What a ridiculous standard. Some of the most popular lgbt content in general are foreign projects (and Americans are making up a good hunk of that audience). Give me a break smh.
Up until very recently like over the last couple of years has there been an increase in LGBTQ content. When you try and state facts bring your receipt as NeNe Leeks says.
I did bring my receipts, you shifted the goalposts. As expected. OP didn't even bring receipts, just feelings.

bigboaster

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
Also there was a post back on like page 5 or 6 maybe that did provide "receipts" which were totally ignored... hmm I wonder why. lol

GLAAD’S 2021-2022 Where We Are on TV Report: LGBTQ Representation Reaches New Record Highs | GLAAD

This year, racial diversity of LGBTQ characters is up on broadcast and streaming, but down on cable. For a fourth year in a row, LGBTQ people of color (58 percent) outweigh white LGBTQ people on broadcast, continuing to meet GLAAD’s previous challenge ensuring that more than half of LGBTQ characters were also people of color. After meeting and surpassing the challenge last year, representation of LGBTQ people of color on cable decreased this year to 45 percent. Representation of LGBTQ people of color on streaming increased to 49 percent.