Lurkers?

Altairion

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Originally posted by Leung@Apr 7 2005, 07:21 AM
However, my main experience of lurkers (especially the damn "anonymous" ones (grrrr :grr: ) is that they are here for the galleries, which I think is a bit pervy to be honest.
[post=298002]Quoted post[/post]​

I tend to get the annoying messages from lurkers who want me to send them pics since I don't have anything posted in the gallery, and for good reason. The lurks certainly don't deserve them....I'm not that easy you know :D

I posted nearly as soon as I got here and had gotten the feel of people on the board, so I've never truly had a lurker perspective.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Tallhung and Altairion,

I think you both have touched on something. As we all know we have come here for many reasons. There are some people who may come here to simply look at large body parts, garner an anonymous hookup, etc. There may be people here looking for escape, and dont want their spouse or others in their RL to know they are here. That may account for them not being a part of the general discussion. I think though that most of us have what it takes to discourage unwanted advances or inappropriate requests. There have been occasions as in Jana's unfortunate stalking incidents where stronger measures are taken, but by in larger most of us are able to nip things in the bud.

Naughty

steve319

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
And really, if we're honest, there are some pretty strong personalities and just hands-down brilliant people here. That can be intimidating too until the newbie sees that everyone generally plays nice, offering kind words and support rather than derision.

And once again, Naughty, you're the compassionate conscience of the thread! "There may be people here looking for escape, and dont want their spouse or others in their RL to know they are here." Great point! I'd bet the people in your RL realize how lucky they are to have such an understanding and empathetic person in their lives!

mikenwillie

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
hahahahahha ... the way we see it the guys that only look and never say anything are the ones that they dont want anyone ( there wife or boyfriend ) to know they are looking at cock or anything on the net ... dam closet case's

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
hahahahahha ... the way we see it the guys that only look and never say anything are the ones that they dont want anyone ( there wife or boyfriend ) to know they are looking at cock or anything on the net ... dam closet case's

Says someone who has made 8 posts since joining a year ago! (you say 100% gay here - but how do I know you aren't 'closet case' IRL?)

Why bump this ancient thread to make such an overgeneralised statement? By posting do people automatically somehow reveal their identities to people in their personal lives? How?

Viewing the site (if you don't clear cache) is just as likely to be noticed by SOs as posting to it.

Think before you type.

- MB (who is thinking that maybe the 8 posts in one year is a good thing :wink:)

1BiGG1

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Why?

Well, I have to break it down. If I had not joined at an earlier point, I too might have lurked for a while. I have long cringed at the snide comments made when typos, grammatical errors, or even problems with translation occured. In my opinion, it is just as uncouth or wrong to point out someone's mistakes in a public forum. I find that to be a pretty sad joke indeed. It really makes me angry and upset for some of the folks who have been brave enough to post for the first time. I am not going to name any names.Besides those most guilty would probably only come back with a nasty retort. This is a support group. We all come from different walks of life. No one of us is so invulnerable that we can afford to be mean spirited. There is no reason that a number of our members don't post, have left or feel wounded because of the insensitivity that we all exhibit from time to time. Let's try to use a little of the "Golden rule" around here. Then maybe we might see some new voices emerging.

Naughty

Good post but I wonder if uneven moderation plays a part as well. I’m not directing this at you personally as I have never known that to be the case but there is much talk here on this issue and somebody sitting on the sidelines may not want to expose themselves to real or perceived injustice.