Nightmare Jobs

I searched and didnt find a similar post to this but wanted to post this individually from the other posts in this particular part of the forums.

So we have all had nightmare jobs, nightmarish interviews, and had to go through a lot of hoops to get a job what are some of your horror stories?

I want to start off by saying most of my jobs recently involve assessment tests which I completely detest. Just reading these comments make me angrier and angrier that potential employees are treated like this.

Say NO to tests prior to an interview - Ask The Headhunter®

Reactions: Nexolaris

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I’ve had to do assessment tests, but only after the interview process. I also have had to do timed writing tests or mini-presentation. I don’t consider that a nightmare, most of the jobs I’ve had need highly skilled writers/facilitators. If you can’t pull together something fairly straightforward, then can you work in a high pressure environment?

Usually, it’s not the interview that’s the horror story, but the job. Still, everything is a learning experience and I take something away from it.

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
Food service for 12 years, I had a few nightmare jobs. I've worked fast food, waited tables, and spent almost 10 years in a row as a barista. I thought I was gonna die working, without ever having healthcare again.

I've been at my new job for a little over a year now. I'm So Fucking Grateful.

yikes. I can't imagine working in the food service industry for 12 years. I did it for like six months and just quit and it wasn't because I couldn't do it or it was tough I was a servers assistant and basically the manager stopped giving me hours for no reason/without cause/without telling me why.

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
yikes. I can't imagine working in the food service industry for 12 years. I did it for like six months and just quit and it wasn't because I couldn't do it or it was tough I was a servers assistant and basically the manager stopped giving me hours for no reason/without cause/without telling me why.

I was at my coffee shop for 8 years before they cut my pay. I was barely above minimum wage as it was. My hours got cut too. It was a corporation. They didn't have to tell me why they cut my pay/hours. I already know how it works .

Graveyard shift at a 24/hour diner for 4 years before that, living on tips. Worked fast food during the day, waited tables at night, 6 nights a week. Day job was also full time. I was exhausted constantly.

The whole time, I tried to get better employment. Took 12 years, but I fucking Love my job now. I prefer not to disclose to the entire community here what that job is, trying to keep more of my personal life private and all. Just know, I'm happy.

Last edited:

I have had some pretty nightmare-ish jobs a few were in call centers which in and of itself is a nightmare but a few in retail...which again is a nightmare in and of itself.

meningreentights

Superior Member
Media
I have been a mailman for over 34 years. Some of the public are wonderful. Some have become precious friends.

Then, you have the a**holes. You can be an hour early, and they'll bitch. They'll call and lie on you. Now they go to social media to do it. You get sexually harassed a lot. I've been groped by both genders. Seen so many naked people that I often times don't notice it in movies. I swear the next person that grabs my goods is getting slugged. I had one lawyer touch me down there with a letter and say, "Why don't you roll that thing up. You make me crazy. You give me Tourettes.". I told him, "He had a jet ski because for once in his life, he wanted something big and powerful between his legs.". He turned red, nodded yes, and laughed.

You work long hours for ungrateful people with coworkers from hell. We had 17 routes to cover. Seven young women called in sick. Three of them even posted on Facebook about going shopping that day. Try and cover 17 routes with only 10 people. I am tired of management showing favoritism based on them being young women. I told the postmaster the next time he tried to make me do their work, I was filing an EEO. He backed off.

I even had to go deliver mail in a neighboring city. I had finished my route and was sent there to deliver mail for them. No choice. One lady said you're kind of late aren't you? I said, "Ma'am, I'm a carrier from such and such. They're so short here that after I finished my route, I had to come deliver here.". She looked like a deer in the headlights.

I am intending to retire at the end of June. F'em all!

MisterB

Worshipped Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I have been a mailman for over 34 years. Some of the public are wonderful. Some have become precious friends.

Then, you have the a**holes. You can be an hour early, and they'll bitch. They'll call and lie on you. Now they go to social media to do it. You get sexually harassed a lot. I've been groped by both genders. Seen so many naked people that I often times don't notice it in movies. I swear the next person that grabs my goods is getting slugged. I had one lawyer touch me down there with a letter and say, "Why don't you roll that thing up. You make me crazy. You give me Tourettes.". I told him, "He had a jet ski because for once in his life, he wanted something big and powerful between his legs.". He turned red, nodded yes, and laughed.

You work long hours for ungrateful people with coworkers from hell. We had 17 routes to cover. Seven young women called in sick. Three of them even posted on Facebook about going shopping that day. Try and cover 17 routes with only 10 people. I am tired of management showing favoritism based on them being young women. I told the postmaster the next time he tried to make me do their work, I was filing an EEO. He backed off.

I even had to go deliver mail in a neighboring city. I had finished my route and was sent there to deliver mail for them. No choice. One lady said you're kind of late aren't you? I said, "Ma'am, I'm a carrier from such and such. They're so short here that after I finished my route, I had to come deliver here.". She looked like a deer in the headlights.

I am intending to retire at the end of June. F'em all!

I truly wish you well.

I know first hand how important a good mail delivery person is. I miss that...

MisterB

Worshipped Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
When I was looking, I'd take any test. Assessment or whatever test if it helped my prospects. Whatever it took.

And I continued that attitude once I was hired.

It's the secret why I started working as a Clerk/Typist and retired at 56 as a Senior Executive.

I will say call centers are the worst. People for the most part don't understand how high the stress levels are in those places. At one of my previous jobs people were threatening to jump off the second or third floor(there was a balcony) on a weekly basis. People were passing out, having heart attacks and other health problems. Ambulances were being called out almost near every day.

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
I will say call centers are the worst. People for the most part don't understand how high the stress levels are in those places. At one of my previous jobs people were threatening to jump off the second or third floor(there was a balcony) on a weekly basis. People were passing out, having heart attacks and other health problems. Ambulances were being called out almost near every day.

Yeah. I knew several co-workers during my time in food service who ended their own lives, and I've seen several get taken to the ER due to chronic health problems. No insurance, so no preventative care... Lots of health issues.

Not to mention the pay... Living on scraps and having society mock the work you do.

Yeah. I knew several co-workers during my time in food service who ended their own lives, and I've seen several get taken to the ER due to chronic health problems. No insurance, so no preventative care... Lots of health issues.

Not to mention the pay... Living on scraps and having society mock the work you do.

Thats awful. It's just sickening how horrible people in the food service industry are treated by those they work with and for and by people whom they serve.
I've never treated anyone in the food service industry terrible because I know it's a shit paying job and you're treated like shit.

Lookinginconshy

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Thats awful. It's just sickening how horrible people in the food service industry are treated by those they work with and for and by people whom they serve.
I've never treated anyone in the food service industry terrible because I know it's a shit paying job and you're treated like shit.
Yeah why do people look down at people working certain jobs (food workers, janitors, hotel staff etc...) they are working so hard and get little. I appreciate there work. My best friend in life digs graves for his job. As soon as somebody hears what he does , the shit snobbery starts , mocking him or talking down to him like he is stupid and beneath them. A lot boast to him about themselves stupid a**holes , He has the last laugh , when his mom died he inherited 81 million in real estate. He can buy n sell those snobs that look down their noses. Btw he did not quit his job but he bought the company ....he loves working. Love yah Joey!

My job from hell was long ago working on a small island village as one of the third shift cops. Absolutely the worse thing I ever did. The place was small but big enough to patrol for 4 hr. Shifts and 4 hrs office duty every day. It was so boring that a deer or bear running across the road or a drunk pissing beside the road was a high lite. Paid shit too. The other cops were not interesting, only talked about guns and complained about their wives. The only good thing was the uniform, it was fitted and nicely showed off your ass. The entire police force looked hot in uniform..ever notice cops seem to all have a nice asses. Lasted 4 months and quit. Wasted that schooling but went back for a different degree and happy i did.

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I've had my share of crappy jobs. The absolute worst was the highest paying job I ever had. I worked in sales for a major advertising agency. You trust no one. You do not make friends. You cannot let your guard down for one minute. I had to make ironclad relationships with clients to avoid being poached by others. We did not have a territory, but we could make deals with our commissions.

I got poached often. At some point I learned my commission structure was different from the men. We had three women in sales. It was strictly forbidden to discuss compensation within the company. Let's just say that I and some others broke some rules and found out that there were two or more commission structures, and for some bullshit reason the women were all in what was considered a tier two with no explanation of what it was or what qualifications were required.

But it was a long time before this news became public, and HR and admin said it would be addressed quickly. Right.

It was a golden prison. The money was too good to pass up. I was hooked. At some point I realized that I was an addict and I felt my life spiraling downward. I was not a pleasant person. I had time for nothing else but work. My daughter did not like me much.

So, I asked her what would she think if I switched jobs and made half the money. She was only worried about moving. I promised that we wouldn't.

I made the switch, and I became the happiest woman on earth! And if it weren't for that switch I would not be doing what I'm doing now. I also probably wouldn't have met my husband, because it was a coworker that made me go to that concert!

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I've had my share of crappy jobs. The absolute worst was the highest paying job I ever had. I worked in sales for a major advertising agency. You trust no one. You do not make friends. You cannot let your guard down for one minute. I had to make ironclad relationships with clients to avoid being poached by others. We did not have a territory, but we could make deals with our commissions.

I got poached often. At some point I learned my commission structure was different from the men. We had three women in sales. It was strictly forbidden to discuss compensation within the company. Let's just say that I and some others broke some rules and found out that there were two or more commission structures, and for some bullshit reason the women were all in what was considered a tier two with no explanation of what it was or what qualifications were required.

But it was a long time before this news became public, and HR and admin said it would be addressed quickly. Right.

It was a golden prison. The money was too good to pass up. I was hooked. At some point I realized that I was an addict and I felt my life spiraling downward. I was not a pleasant person. I had time for nothing else but work. My daughter did not like me much.

So, I asked her what would she think if I switched jobs and made half the money. She was only worried about moving. I promised that we wouldn't.

I made the switch, and I became the happiest woman on earth! And if it weren't for that switch I would not be doing what I'm doing now. I also probably wouldn't have met my husband, because it was a coworker that made me go to that concert!
Oh, yeah, one of the worst jobs I ever had was the highest paying jobs I ever had. It was not worth it. (Although I have to say, call centre? Hands down the worst. Lasted one day. Not enough money in the world!)

Again, I have learned from every experience, though. I need a job that means something to me. And I found, for me at least, the money eventually followed.

ohiorod

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

I just love happy endings! (I have a feeling that I just stuck my big foot in my mouth with that double entendre!)

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I just love happy endings! (I have a feeling that I just stuck my big foot in my mouth with that double entendre!)

Well, that brings to mind one of the first and funnest jobs I had. Fortunately, I was too naive to recognize double-entendres at the time. Sorry, TOS prohibits details, but I was a cart girl for a country club. The pay was pretty awesome, too!

most of my jobs have been in call centers which are the worst I could spend days telling you all horror stories from the suicides, ambulances being called daily, cops being called daily, people quitting from the stress, managers having multiple as they call it 'coming to jesus meetings' which they basically screamed and yelled at you for not having the best numbers, there were times managers and their account managers would set you up to try and crack you so that you would quit, one company hosted a mini carnival but you weren't allowed to go to it if your shift started after 10am but they allotted people before that time to go anyone at 10am or later was told they had to come in on their time and enjoy the carnival.
One of the bigger companies I worked for back in 2010 started out with a class of about 18-25 new hires and after going through their training and nesting period(s) those people went out and started taking calls on their own by themselves. After a year or so I started finding out people were quitting due to the stress not just one or two here and there but multiple people were quitting and/or planning to quit soon. Needless to say no amount of money is worth sitting in a seat for 7hrs and 30mins and every call you get is someone screaming, shouting, and cussing at you. At the end before I quit, I checked to see how many of the people from the class that I started with were still there and from the ones I could remember there were 3 or 4.

That kind of job is only for a select few.