On Being "Men"

Altairion

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Jeep, I saw that you don't take compliments well, but from your avatar, you look great dude.

In some cases, I tend to come from the other end of the spectrum. My metabolism has been so high that I literally can't gain weight if I try, no matter what I do. Right now I sit around 5'11" and 140 lbs, 145 if I'm lucky. I spent a summer weight training in high school, and I wasn't even able to feel much of a change. There have been many times that I have hated how I look, and felt helpless that there hasn't been a thing that I could find to change it.

I've never really mentioned this feeling to anyone before, and I know that it pales in comparison eating disorders, but I thought I would throw my experience into the mix.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Jeep, your honesty is awe-inspiring. Not only are you a beautiful person inside and out, but you are willing to share your experiences in the hopes of helping others. Sometimes, I think this is the very reason some people must endure hardship, so they can carry the message to their fellows. Yes, you are gorgeous, but I realise you probably don't see what others see when you look in the mirror and that is a shame. Recovery is a process, being an alcoholic I understand this well, but I can assure you that it does get easier with time. Please always guard your precious life because as long as you live, there is time to work out the details.

If being a dancer taught me anything, it was that there's someone out there who likes what you have nomatter what it is. During the whole three years I danced, I was 5'7'' and 165 lbs- NOT your usual body type for that industry, but I made consistant money and had my own (if perhaps somewhat cultish) following. It's hard for many to fathom how someone who's "everybody's type" such as yourself could have these feelings, so it's sure beneficial to us all to hear you speak so candidly.

Altairion, you may be genuinely unaware of this, but many many women LOVE very thin men....including me! Go on with your bad self!

jeepwranglerboi

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Alt... I hate people like you! LOL I'm just kidding. I actually know several guys like you. They too go crazy not being able to put on weight. Thank you for sharing that.

Mme. Z as always you are eloquent and beautiful. I sincerely thank you for your words.

xoxo ~ Kyle :hug:

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by jeepwranglerboi@Mar 10 2005, 11:19 PM
Alt... I hate people like you! LOL I'm just kidding. I actually know several guys like you. They too go crazy not being able to put on weight. Thank you for sharing that.

Mme. Z as always you are eloquent and beautiful. I sincerely thank you for your words.

xoxo ~ Kyle :hug:
[post=289898]Quoted post[/post]​

*licks Kyle on the face*

You're so delicious!

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Originally posted by aloofman@Mar 9 2005, 06:55 AM

One thing that amuses me is organizations like the Promise Keepers, using religion to get men to re-commit to their own families. I suppose that anything that gets someone's life back on track is a good thing, but I only know one guy personally who's involved with them. And he's a total dumbshit.
[post=289440]Quoted post[/post]​

Agreed 100%. I can't speak for others but I sure don't need peer pressure or some sort of group guilt trip that prods me to remember my committments to my family and community. I can dang well do that for myself and always have. Taking responsibility for my choices and being accountable at all times for my actions. That's what being a man means to me.

SG

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Originally posted by madame_zora@Mar 10 2005, 11:15 AM
If being a dancer taught me anything, it was that there's someone out there who likes what you have nomatter what it is.
[post=289838]Quoted post[/post]​
True. Actually, "heroin chic" is a relatively novel idea. A century ago, the eating disorders went the other way.

D_Humper E Bogart

Experimental Member
Media
Originally posted by jeepwranglerboi@Mar 10 2005, 05:03 PM
I'm gonna reply to this because this is something that really hits home for me...
Jeep. I am going to apologise if I meant any offence. To be honest, just had a fall out with someone I would have regarded as a friend, so I was harsher than should reasonably have been said.

You've been brave to keep yourself going after this time. Thank you for sharing. I suppose the point I was trying to make was that anorexia etc is normally "female associated", which takes nothing away from your experiance. I'm honestly surprised that there were help groups to aid you in your position. I can't help but wonder if all people in your shoes get their help they need.

jeepwranglerboi

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Originally posted by ORCABOMBER+Mar 14 2005, 08:44 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ORCABOMBER &#064; Mar 14 2005, 08:44 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-jeepwranglerboi@Mar 10 2005, 05:03 PM
I&#39;m gonna reply to this because this is something that really hits home for me...
Jeep. I am going to apologise if I meant any offence. To be honest, just had a fall out with someone I would have regarded as a friend, so I was harsher than should reasonably have been said.

You&#39;ve been brave to keep yourself going after this time. Thank you for sharing. I suppose the point I was trying to make was that anorexia etc is normally "female associated", which takes nothing away from your experiance. I&#39;m honestly surprised that there were help groups to aid you in your position. I can&#39;t help but wonder if all people in your shoes get their help they need.
[post=290744]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]
You did not offend me in any way. It takes a lot to offend me. LOL I shared my story in hopes that not just you but all people that read it will see that the disease is not just a female one. Like I said, many men do suffer from eating disorders but it isn&#39;t something that is really discussed. We&#39;re still cool dude, no worries. B)

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
I&#39;ve read that many men secretly suffer from anorexia and bulemia. It&#39;s actually a much bigger problem than people know about because it&#39;s a closet disease for most men, being considered a "female" disorder. Men have as many body dysmorphic issues as women do--we are faced with just as many pressues to have that "perfect" body. Look at the ads we see in magazines, in catalogues, and even on TV. How many of us can really live up to that? I went through a phase in high school where I was on the verge of becoming bulemic, but having a mother who is a medical professional, she saw the warning signs. I would go for days and only eat lettuce drizzled with a little olive oil and lemon juice--how healthy is that? Can we say "no nutrients?" I lost a lot of weight quickly and was thin as a rail, but luckily she was able to help me get out of the cycle BEFORE it turned into something more serious.

Kyle, thanks for opening up and sharing what many people silently suffer with.
Men are expected to just deal with their problems, but it&#39;s not healthy. Healing takes a long time and I wish you success on your journey&#33;

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Originally posted by jeepwranglerboi@Mar 17 2005, 09:01 AM
Like I said, many men do suffer from eating disorders but it isn&#39;t something that is really discussed. We&#39;re still cool dude, no worries. B)
[post=291662]Quoted post[/post]​
I think there&#39;s some rule somewhere that women can have drama but men have to deal. Thus, any psychiatric problems, such as eating disorders, cutting, rape, molestation, suicide . . . Everyone will always assume it&#39;s a woman with the problem. It doesn&#39;t work that way, though; fate spares no one.

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Originally posted by jonb@Mar 17 2005, 06:04 PM
I think there&#39;s some rule somewhere that women can have drama but men have to deal. Thus, any psychiatric problems, such as eating disorders, cutting, rape, molestation, suicide . . . Everyone will always assume it&#39;s a woman with the problem. It doesn&#39;t work that way, though; fate spares no one.
[post=291753]Quoted post[/post]​

I want to know who got that rule established, because it has really hurt us as men.

jeepwranglerboi

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Originally posted by prepstudinsc+Mar 17 2005, 11:44 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prepstudinsc &#064; Mar 17 2005, 11:44 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-jonb@Mar 17 2005, 06:04 PM
[post=291753]Quoted post[/post]​

I want to know who got that rule established, because it has really hurt us as men.
[post=291770]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]
I honestly think that men came up with that unspoken rule. Men wanted to be seen as invincible, hard and superior. Well, as we all know that just isn&#39;t the case now is it.

Altairion

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Heh I agree with that one prep and Jeep. Sometimes it sucks always having to be a tough guy when you don&#39;t really feel like it. As much as I enjoy being something I don&#39;t really want to be, it gets to be a bit straining after a while.

carolinacurious: A few disjointed thoughts:

1. We are DEVO.

2. I think Robert Bly had it right in "Iron John". His theory was that this all started in the industrial age, where the men were suddenly removed from the homes and the extended family split apart. Prior to the rise of the factories, most children were raised in a home with both the mother and father, or the father at least nearby, with probably a grandfather and a couple of uncles around as well. As a child, you understood what your father DID, because you saw him doing it. Now your father leaves and frequently does a job that makes no sense to a child&#39;s mind, becoming something "sinister". For those who would say this doesn&#39;t explain the last few decades and the "metrosexual" movement, I would say that I don&#39;t see what the metrosexual movement has on the early 80&#39;s with the initial rise of GQ as a mainstream magazine, and that the last few decades are merely the extension of Bly&#39;s process, set into motion long ago.

I don&#39;t think I agree with Bly&#39;s suggested solutions to the problem, although I haven&#39;t tried it, but I do like his hypothesis.

3. I remember as a very young child getting together with the extended family and watching the really old men there, men old enough to have served in WWI and WWII (none of that "greatest generation" crap, ok?), and to me they seemed like MEN, in a way that their children, who would now be older than a lot of your grandparents, never would.

4. The Women&#39;s Liberation movement has done much for expanding possibilities for women while there really hasn&#39;t been the same sort of thing for men, although it just seems to be slowly happening anyway (probably more as a byproduct of the Women&#39;s movement than anything else). The gay rights movement is probably the closest thing men have to the Women&#39;s Lib movement but of course straight men fight it tooth and nail, not realizing that it is their own potentialities that they are limiting.

5. For straight men, the women pretty much call the shots. If they loudly proclaim that they find effeminate men unattractive then most straight men won&#39;t be effeminate, regardless of any movement.

discuss.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
I have mentioned how I feel about the whole Men&#39;s Movement, right? Personally, I found "Iron John" full of platitudes. But it is true that the end of the extended family is a big problem. With extended families, even death or divorce didn&#39;t mean an no more male role models. Mass media was the death knell to the masculine, and anything else not marketable.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Wow, that&#39;s a lot to discuss, and great "Are we not men?" intro&#33;

Sure, certainly the industrial revolution had a lot to do with male secrecy, as perceived by others- not only children, but women too. As men left their homes for work, their lives became a mystery to their whole families. Then came stopping by some place "with the guys" after a hard day. More separation. Then in WWII, with the men all off defending our country, women were rallied in to feed the machine, and we found that they could operate heavy equipment, become accountants, work on an assembly line, basically do things previously thought by society to be "men&#39;s jobs". Then the men came home. Heroes&#33; And these hard working women who had kept it going, gotten a taste of the freedom that earning your own money brings, were shoved back into the kitchen as viewed as second class citizens again. Not too surprising we&#39;ve been fighting ever since.

There is absolutely NO chance for a return to the "Golden years", because women as a whole will never again accept being secondary to men. It&#39;s over- get on with it&#33; We all need to redefine who we are and what we expect out of our lives. Blameshifting is useless, the past is only good for historical backdrop. Just like in racial issues, it is not mainly the people who are alive here and now who are at fault for the way things are, so now it is on us to do our duty as countrymen to correct mistakes of the past as we find them. I doesn&#39;t mean everything WE do will be right, either, but the onus is on us to try.

"Metro" men (and I define this as men who know how to dress themselves, cook for themselves, actually decorate their dwellings and not live out of boxes, use grammer properly, and have interests more varied than sports) are in high demand&#33; Fewer and fewer women are into the beer-guzzling, grunting out orders, thick headed Archie-Bunkers who plagues the past. So the definition of "what is male" is certainly in chaos, and this is new. As I said before, men have had it too easy for too long. I like to think of society as a whole coming to a place where people can coexist without having to look like mannequins and act like stereotypical automatons, but I think we are literally decades away form even scratching the surface.

Now for the younger generation, in which our hope lies. I doubt you&#39;ll find very many girls who DON&#39;T find effeminate men attractive&#33; What young women doesn&#39;t love a poet, artist, or political anarchist? There may be hope for us yet. I look forward to becomming a dinosaur.

carolinacurious:
I have mentioned how I feel about the whole Men&#39;s Movement, right? Personally, I found "Iron John" full of platitudes. But it is true that the end of the extended family is a big problem. With extended families, even death or divorce didn&#39;t mean an no more male role models. Mass media was the death knell to the masculine, and anything else not marketable.

Well, I personally haven&#39;t seen your thoughts on the Men&#39;s Movement, I&#39;d be happy to follow a link.

I&#39;m not recommending anyone go out and buy "Iron John", everything I found useful and original, at least to me, is in my previous post.

"Mass media was the death knell to the masculine, and anything else not marketable."

Am I the only person here who&#39;s ever seen an ad for a dodge pickup? They were selling make-up for men, dresses for men, lace for men back in the early 80&#39;s. I don&#39;t know if all of what&#39;s happening now is a fad or not, but some of it is. If they can figure out a way to make a dime off masculinity (marlboro man?), they&#39;ll bring it back. Masculinity is definitely marketable and marketed.

great "Are we not men?" intro&#33;

Thank-you. I liked it myself.

Sure, certainly the industrial revolution had a lot to do with male secrecy, as perceived by others- not only children, but women too. As men left their homes for work, their lives became a mystery to their whole families. Then came stopping by some place "with the guys" after a hard day. More separation. Then in WWII, with the men all off defending our country, women were rallied in to feed the machine, and we found that they could operate heavy equipment, become accountants, work on an assembly line, basically do things previously thought by society to be "men&#39;s jobs". Then the men came home. Heroes&#33; And these hard working women who had kept it going, gotten a taste of the freedom that earning your own money brings, were shoved back into the kitchen as viewed as second class citizens again. Not too surprising we&#39;ve been fighting ever since.

Great Jana, I hadn&#39;t really thought of the mystery to the whole family angle but you&#39;re right.

Major tanget time: Isn&#39;t it interesting that it was the corporations who split up our family structure, the corporations who largely required us to go to war, the corporations who expected women to fill the gaps in the workplace when needed and to go back home like good little girls when done, the corporations who have it so an average family with two working parents (in some ways) don&#39;t live as well as a single wage earning family in the 50&#39;s but yet refuse to pay childcare or equal pay to women BUT yet it&#39;s the government and each other that we fight against.

Huh?, how lucky is that for those Corporations?&#33;

There is absolutely NO chance for a return to the "Golden years", because women as a whole will never again accept being secondary to men. It&#39;s over- get on with it&#33; We all need to redefine who we are and what we expect out of our lives. Blameshifting is useless, the past is only good for historical backdrop. Just like in racial issues, it is not mainly the people who are alive here and now who are at fault for the way things are, so now it is on us to do our duty as countrymen to correct mistakes of the past as we find them. I doesn&#39;t mean everything WE do will be right, either, but the onus is on us to try.

I like how you have "Golden Years (wop- wop- wahh)" in quotes because of course the "golden years" weren&#39;t always so golden and some of the things I rail against in the corporate sense above have actually been good for society. I guess you can see from above that I wouldn&#39;t say that "blameshifting is useless", I would just say that we have never, as a whole, shifted the blame to the proper place. (And of course it isn&#39;t really the Corporations that are to blame, now is it?)

Corporations probably aren&#39;t going away, I think the thing that pisses me off is that so many "societial revolutions" have actually just been a new way of making a quicker buck, the fact that there has been any benifit to society is merely happenstance. Seems like a really shitty and shortsighted way to run things if you ask me.

"Metro" men (and I define this as men who know how to dress themselves, cook for themselves, actually decorate their dwellings and not live out of boxes, use grammer properly, and have interests more varied than sports) are in high demand&#33; Fewer and fewer women are into the beer-guzzling, grunting out orders, thick headed Archie-Bunkers who plagues the past. So the definition of "what is male" is certainly in chaos, and this is new. As I said before, men have had it too easy for too long. I like to think of society as a whole coming to a place where people can coexist without having to look like mannequins and act like stereotypical automatons, but I think we are literally decades away form even scratching the surface.

Now for the younger generation, in which our hope lies. I doubt you&#39;ll find very many girls who DON&#39;T find effeminate men attractive&#33; What young women doesn&#39;t love a poet, artist, or political anarchist? There may be hope for us yet. I look forward to becomming a dinosaur.

"I doubt you&#39;ll find very many girls who DON&#39;T find effeminate men attractive&#33; What young women doesn&#39;t love a poet, artist, or political anarchist?"

At least when I was coming along, that interest waned the more those young women started to think about having children. But as I was developing more of an interest in manly men myself it all worked out ok (for me at least).

"So the definition of "what is male" is certainly in chaos, and this is new."

I think you&#39;re right, I hope, rather than "effeminate men" we can move towards a new masculinity.

Of course Jung would have us, male and female, fully develop both our anima and animus, which is where I hope as a society that we are headed.

Strauss & Howe, in their generational studies actually predict that what they call the "Millenial" generation will return to more rigid gender roles, rejecting the the more fluid roles of Generation X.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Carolinacuroious, I think your insights on Corporations in America are right on target. The reason we are still blaming the government is that they are so closely aligned, it is the same set of wealthy and priveledged that run both. From the beginning, the framers of the constitution were all white male landowners, and not much has changed. In the rare instances where women or men of color have made it in politics, it is often not before they have assimilated themselves into that exclusive society. It&#39;s hard to blame them, our entire societal structure leads us to believe this is "success".

One doesn&#39;t have to look very far to see the links- there are corporate kickbacks to politicians who vote in ways that favor Big Business, I got myself good and upset last year over the amount Dumbya received from pharmaceutical companies. Sure, we pay the highest prices in the world for drugs (most of which are produced here), the Goverment never really minds if Corporations stick it to Everymen, because their personal wealth makes them immune. They will be able to afford whatever they need in their elder years, they won&#39;t be facing retirement in a state-run hospital for dementia, they don&#39;t look at gas prices at the pump, they just fill up. Live like this long enough and you simply lose touch with the realities faced by the general public. I did it myself in the &#39;90s. However, try working for a living, struggling to keep the lights turned on, keep your family clothed and fed, drive your ass to work to make it happen, and an extra &#036;20 a week to buy the same amount of gas you needed last year can really hurt. Then add the probability that you&#39;ve recently taken a pay cut because so many corporations who do exactly what your company does have outsourced their jobs overseas, and your company has had to stay competitive- well, it&#39;s not pretty. Our class of working poor has increased by leaps and bounds in the last five years, but it&#39;s hard to feel very sorry for us, we did it to ourselves&#33;

Yes, the benefit to women working of being able to be more financially independant was purely coincidental. Children grow up well sometimes in spite of their parents&#33; I&#39;d imagine that the egos of those men at the time was such that they could never have conceived of the possibility that those women would fight for their rights to continue working after their men came home. See, we&#39;ve has a pretty long time to redefine "what is feminine" and we&#39;re sure not doing a very good job of it yet&#33; I had to become fairly "manly" in order to integrate myself into the workforce (at a position higher than "receptionist"). I noticed that the sharper the lines got on my suits, the lower my voice got, the more agressively I shook hands- the more promotions and money I made. If I wore a lot of jewelry and drove a big car, men would take me more seriously, if I didn&#39;t, I was dismissed as "one of the girls". I spent ten years rallying for women&#39;s rights in a number of industries that are seen as male dominated, I&#39;m very proud of the work I did there as well as the small but satisfying impact I had. The problem was I had forfeited my "femininity" and my self-image has been in chaos ever since. I wouldn&#39;t trade that time for the world, my personal restructuring has been well worth it, but change never comes without great personal cost.

So now men are facing an identity crisis as the face of modern masculinity changes, and they won&#39;t find their place in the world or in relationships without doing some serious soul-searching. Don&#39;t be fooled- you are still in the drivers&#39; seat. You still make 20 to 30% more money on average. You still get credit easier even if you make less money (a friend and I actually tried this out. We both applied for a Visa from the same company, I made a bit more money and had a higher credit score. We both got the card, but my limit was 3,000 and his was 5,000). You still have an overall easier time finding employment with health benefits and a 401k. So you&#39;ll have to excuse me if I find it a little annoying if men are in crisis just because they don&#39;t rule EVERYTHING anymore. Sharing the wealth, AND the power, has to be good for us all in the long run.

Sorry for the long post, it&#39;s 6:30 am and I haven&#39;t been to bed yet. I promise to be a good little girl and shut my mouth tomorrow&#33;

orionsword57:
Originally posted by madame_zora@Mar 21 2005, 03:30 AM
....Carolinacuroious, I think your insights on Corporations in America are right on target. The reason we are still blaming the government is that they are so closely aligned, it is the same set of wealthy and priveledged that run both.....Sharing the wealth, AND the power, has to be good for us all in the long run.....

[post=292562]Quoted post[/post]​

Cc and MZ have raised valid and thought-provoking points. History shows us that there are some issues that should not be forgotten in the mix.

1. EVERY culture technologically superior to those contiguous to it has been ruled by some form of partnership between a wealthy aristocracy and those directing and managing commerce.

2. Men in general have ALWAYS feared and stepped on potential challenge from women with regard to our several relative shortcomings.

3. The terms "divide and conquer" and "bread and circuses" are as true today as they have ever been., perhaps even more so.

The above may appear to be unrelated gibberish, but I think not. Any absense of some form of cooperation between political and commercial leadership must lead to one or both sectors of Society working at cross-purposes to the other, thereby creating stagnation, confrontation and confusion. When Kennedy and his brother took on ( and shocked) both big business (Big Steel) and organized crime (one of the largest single participants in business through trucking and distribution) upon coming to power, ongoing working arrangements went awry and the results are well known. Communism failed because of the needs (and promises) of the government to create technological advancement and better living conditions were at odds with an industrial system that could not and WOULD not do either. We can blame incestuous connections for a number of ills, but the alternatives may bring about greater hardships. In any economic upheaval, it is the little person who suffers from lack of reserves. My opinion, of course.

I defy anyone to name a category of life that has REAL significance (throwing a football 70 yards just doesn&#39;t make the cut) where men are superior to women. It isn&#39;t the fact that women bear children so much as it is the bond between a child and the mother through the child&#39;s development years that has set the tone of the woman being the homemaker ever since men killed deer for game. Women are still leaders of the majority of societies on the planet (including all tribal groups), and that is usually because primitive cultures understand that it is the whole tribe&#39;s responsibility for raising one of its young people, not just the mother&#39;s and father&#39;s. Giving up a child to some form of cold and stark communal care center ala George Orwell&#39;s "1984" is not the answer, because it is the child who makes it so obvious that it needs focused love and attention. Don&#39;t blame the father... blame the child if you have to blame anyone for the continuing second-class position of women. My opinion, of course.

The landmark work "The Lessons of History" by Will and Ariel Durant is one of the finest works of any kind ever written. In 1947, they wrote basically that the existing supply of capital in the world gradually becomes concentrated into fewer and fewer hands until such time as too many people have too little, after which the "have-nots" redistribute money among themselves either by violent or non-violent means, and the process starts all over again. The Industrial Revolution and the gradual emergence of labor unions, while fraught with some violence, was the first time in history that capital was redistributed in manner that did not bring about major carnage as during the French Revolution, etc... The term "revolution" literally means "going around again". The current state of affairs once again has too few people owning too much capital, but we have no revolt.... yet&#33; When the deck of the ship is tossing about in a storm, all you can do is hold on, and when things are like that, you can&#39;t have a mutiny. The deck of our country&#39;s society is tossing about, in my estimation, and we are being kept quiet while we hold on to the mast with mindless TV games and reality shows that are no different or better than people being killed in the Roman Colliseum. Once again, Kennedy might have turned things in the other direction, but he was stopped. My opinion, of course.

I know people who don&#39;t think we should have universal health care. I know people who think we still have the right to muscle around the world and shove our dip sticks in whereever we want. But I know more people who are waiting for a cogent, honest leader who will lay bare the hypocracies of our society and reinstill a sense of teamwork in the country. Kerry was not that person. Hillary is too ambitious and too threatening because of her lack of tact. I don&#39;t know who can come along right now, but that person would have to stand up to the biggest defamation attacks this country has probably ever seen. They might be able to so do if they publically made it known ahead of time that the attacks were coming and why.

Things will eventually swing back, but the question becomes whether it will happen with a jerk or with grace. Until such time, our gripes will be the same as those of our forefathers and mothers, and after the swing, we&#39;ll probably have new ones.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Actually, orionsword, the degree of women&#39;s ruling varies. Most societies have a role for both, but you&#39;re not going to find a society where men are basically slaves.

What&#39;s curious about the matriarchal myth is the obsession with childbirth. I mean, the Etoro of Papua New Guinea are the world&#39;s worst misogynists, even if they don&#39;t know the exact role of semen in reproduction. Lakota do know the role of semen in reproduction, but only women could traditionally own any real type of property. So much for the "semen = patriarchy" myth.