Online persona vs Real life personality

HyperHulk

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Just wondering, how different is your online personal here at LPSG from your everyday self in the real world?

In reading some people's posts I wonder if they have the same attitude and communication style online as they do when they talk to people in the "real" world? Are you braver, shyer, more antagonistic, more helpful, etc?

For me I find that my online persona matches my real life personality when I'm serious. I've chosen to be slightly more cerebral on this site because, well there seems to be so many people who are constantly cracking jokes and going for people's jugulars, that I wanted to do my best to give reasoned, helpful responses or straight-forward commentary where it applies. In my real life, I've got a pretty cerebral occupation and work environment, by the personality I generally employ when I'm not with clients is a joking, smart-ass personality because I enjoy making people laugh. I supress that part of me online.

I also find that I'm shyer and more coy when I discuss sex online but in real life, I'm quite blunt and matter-of-fact. Online I feel like I need to diffuse some of the sexual energy because it can seem to be too overwhelming and in real-life I seem to want to raise sexual energy because it's often too suppressed.

How about the rest of you?

Rubenesque

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I've always been told by people that I've met up with after chatting online that I'm exactly the same in person, apart from being a little less confident. But that's only in the initial little while after meeting, once I'm comfortable with them I come out of my shell and am "me" again.

D_Pubert Stabbingpain

Account Disabled
Media
Just wondering, how different is your online personal here at LPSG from your everyday self in the real world?

In reading some people's posts I wonder if they have the same attitude and communication style online as they do when they talk to people in the "real" world? Are you braver, shyer, more antagonistic, more helpful, etc?

For me I find that my online persona matches my real life personality when I'm serious. I've chosen to be slightly more cerebral on this site because, well there seems to be so many people who are constantly cracking jokes and going for people's jugulars, that I wanted to do my best to give reasoned, helpful responses or straight-forward commentary where it applies. In my real life, I've got a pretty cerebral occupation and work environment, by the personality I generally employ when I'm not with clients is a joking, smart-ass personality because I enjoy making people laugh. I supress that part of me online.

I also find that I'm shyer and more coy when I discuss sex online but in real life, I'm quite blunt and matter-of-fact. Online I feel like I need to diffuse some of the sexual energy because it can seem to be too overwhelming and in real-life I seem to want to raise sexual energy because it's often too suppressed.

How about the rest of you?

Hi Hulk,

This is a good question.
A little while ago I decided to take down my "shades" pic and put up the real deal as my avatar. What you see is what you get.

I try to be as genuine as possible online in hopes of meeting similar genuine folks.

Life is fluid and diverse and although I try to maintain an attitude of diversity, I myself am not so fluid at all times for all things.

For example, at work I was strictly a "nose to the grindstone" guy and as such, I was nicknamed appropriately. However, I worked with folks that really did not share my "work ethic," some of whom, preferred to spend most of the day joking and surfing the net. Usually, I just shrug that off as a managerial issue but when the joking started taking the form of personality attacks and started coming from several people and was blatantly passive aggresive (cutting me and other people down with personal and sometimes offensive remarks and passing it off as jokes when there was no humor involved), and when it was condoned by management as "blowing off stress," I was forced to leave my comfort zone and, to some extent, play the game in order to maintain my sanity. The difference was that I had to be very careful due to I really tell people what I think of them. IOW, they were joking but I was not!

I don't like to do this. I almost always try to treat others how I want to be treated but we all have a tolerance level and survival in the office was priority.

Despite the fact that I could play the game, and well, I could still help these same people when they needed help. That is what I do best and what I enjoy doing.

Generally though, I am much more shy in person and especially with strangers when it comes to discussing sex. I would have to have previoiusly talked to someone say perhaps, on a half dozen other occasions before discussing such topics. With friends, it can get raunch but with strangers I am formal, polite and even have a problem being myself and having fun.

The sex I talk about here is usually because I ain't getting it off line! :mad:

That's what they say, right? If you don't get it you have to talk about it? :smile:

P.S. I can also be quite the comedian and have also been called "crazy" and "bad" in a good sense. :biggrin1:

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think I am probably a bit more introverted in real life than I am on here. I very rarely, if ever, discuss sexual matters and that is only to a very few RL friends. I work in what would be described as a cultural think tank of sorts so I come here to interact with a wide diversity of personalities and learn about things that are quite removed from my real life experience. The name "Naughty" was created "tongue and cheek" to say the least. I think the lines from Adam Ant's Goody Two Shoes probably best describe me. "Don't smoke, don't drink, what do ya do?" More later, perhaps...

B_mylipswet

Experimental Member
Media
In your mind until you meet me eye to eye if you d
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think I'm more sensitive on line about my sexuality then I am in person. Although I've really had a more serious LTR online then I thought imaginable for an online relationship. My main experiences are with one man. He has gotten me to a submissive state where I am more willing to submit to him totally. I've never done this in real life nor even discussed this in real life. On line he expects me to be totally submissive. My personality is often a product of what he expects. I find him forcing me to do more things for him that I wouldn't do in real life. Otherwise he closes up, blocks me and punishes me for trying to communicate my feelings. I'm about to give up on the entire on line process because, of this I am totally pessimistic about on line relationships entirely. I want to be free to be me and not threatened or bullied not to express myself. Do most dominant men do this? What I see it's more mental cruelty. I'd like to see him treat me this way in real life. No way would this happen. So I am MUCH different in person.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
My online persona...is me essentially. I chose invisibleman as a name because it offers me to be anything. I can be the cunt or the cavalier in personality. But some may think cunt lately. :smile: I can take that and run with it. It is all good.

In real life-- I really do feel invisible. I have learned to do a lot of things on my own. Had I been the popular guy, I think that I wouldn't have taken the risk in being who I am which makes me invisible.

But you know I actually like being me. I sleep better at nights. It is difficult being a lot to people anyway. So, damned if you do...damned if you don't. I would rather be hated for who I am than for who I am not.

I learned a lot in college. I learned that I have to learn things on my own. If you rely on others to help you...you will be at the mercy of those people. So, you learn to do everything...then when you get people who "help" you out and they fuck you over, you remember that...and you learn to not trust. You do it all.

So in real life, I am a man of few words (if I don't know you.)...but I think a lot. If I know you, I am a chatterbox...but then compared to many in the world...there may be a person that talks more than I do.

thicnjucy10

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I can be who I want to online, but honestly I go online to fullfill my fantasy. In real life I am a married father of 3. Online I am a bi sexual man looking for an encounter to satisfy my sexual desires. I also have excellent conversation on line (unlike at home w/ the wife lol).

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I get blasted for some word choices I use here (like I purposely use "big" words, but I use them in real life, and is my style. I try to convey a casual attitude in debate , but think I come over much more casual in person than online.

Think there are a number pip-squeaks here that wouldn't say what they say to me, in my face... either because I'm far to laid-back in person, or they'd get crushed right then and there if they pushed me over the edge. I call it "internet bravado".

With sex, from a casual perspective I'm very open, with a "lady" I'm reserved at first, then a pig shortly thereafter.

mista geechee

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
the only difference is that i keep some of my more radical views to myself. after all , i live in south carolina , you hear gasps if you curse on teh same street as a church in some parts of town.

that and you guys probably wouldnt understand a word i was saying with my accent and all

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I try to be as up front and honest as possible. No need to lie about it just to win over the minds of people you may never meet in real life. And the few that do meet me deserve to know exactly what they're going to encounter.

That, and I'm not good enough at Photoshop to put Mandingo's cock on my photos and make it look convincing. :biggrin:

unabear09

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I'm, for the most part, exactly the same here online as I am in real life. THe only exception is that I dare not talk about men in any sort of a sexual manner, and I tend to be more 'vocal' with my opinions online. Great thread op

B_becominghorse

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I'm the same insofar as that is possible (it isn't, because of the nature of the medium, which is to say, it's denatured and freeze-dried.) But I find this matter extremely interesting because of the people I have first met on line and later in person. Some of them were much as they had presented themselves, i.e., they were trying to just 'be themselves on the net'. Others, though, really were working at an online persona that was more like what an actor would do with a role--in this case, I met a person I didn't care for so much, because the online persona had been made the dominant one, and I was meeting someone 'different.'

Another dreadful occurrence was meeting a very active blogger, who does long intellectual posts everyday on literature and politics and philosophical theory. Well, he was EXACTLY as he was on the blog, only not really like a person--meeting him in person was like being around a flesh-form of blog, and this was ghoulish. I had been a regular participant on his blog till I met him, and I shortly concluded this participation. Actually, this isn't quite accurate, because even though it seemed only like a continuation of the blog, he also had given me the impression of a big swashbucking Texan, instead of a little attention-whoring shrimp who felt sorry for himself and referred to himself constantly as a failure. For all these reasons: An odious experience.

I've met only one person I first met online that I will become friends with offline. Because I liked her in person even better than I had on her blog. Other than that one case, I am finding that I still prefer to meet people offline to begin with, and I never meet sexual partners online.

B_jacknapier

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I'm way more antagonistic online, but I do love to argue points to my friends that I don't actually believe in, especially regarding religion and politics. I'm a devils advocate.

Also I have a bigger dick in real life.

Mr. Bungle

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Good post man, good post. I'm very much the same person here as I am in real life. Pretty easy-going and I don't really like to step on other peoples' toes... never really been an antagonist; I never really had the ego to begin with and throwing my weight around, either online or in real life - that doesn't really make me feel any better. I've met a handful of people in real life that I've originally met online, and they've been surprised that I'm exactly like I've appeared from their cyber-impression of me. I think I'm pretty fun to be around; obviously it's tough to tell when people are only reading my emails, but I'm not as dull as I appear online... I don't really find any need to step up on my soapbox and hammer beliefs into other peoples' heads; I'm just a happy, chill, total type B-personality dude who steers clear of the bullshit. :smile:

Last edited:

snottybooger

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I think I am EXACTLY the same on here as I would be with a close friend. The only difference is, not all my friends are as open minded as the people on here. And perhaps the fact that we are shielded by the screen in front of us, makes us more open and accepting of others.