PC or Mac

Media
If you want to be a game person, get an xbox. If you want a computer, get a Mac. Better, faster, easier. I actually had one of my Macs hard drive crash one time. The tech guy who checked it out was very surprised. He said this rarely happens. Macs are made to last. PCs on the other hand..........

Dorian_Gray

Cherished Member
Media
The only people in the world that use Macs are those who don't understand hardware.

The ones that want a Mac like experience and do use Linux.

I run ubuntu and fedora, but i still like all 3 macs! Sometimes linux gets on my nerves whereas osx never has, and it works as advertised! "It Just Works"

Vista is just a big pile of hot mess... pitiful in design, rushed to market, and WAYYYY too many bugs!

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm gay and I quite happily use a PC. There's hardly anything worse than an Apple snob, IMO.:rolleyes:
Uh, right!

im gay and i hate MAC's
Uh huh, again...

The first computer I used was a Zenith Data Systems box, with two 5.25" floppy ports and no hard drive, and a zippy little Intel 8088 processor running (I think) at a whopping 8KHz. MS-DOS was Boss (ver. 2.0) This dandy piece of technology was owned by the First Marine Division, and I spent about 5 hours a day working on it. The two main programs I used were WordStar (I actually loved that program) and dBaseII (and later, dBaseIII). The bulk of my work was creating and maintaining a database, doing official correspondence, and generating reports... lots and LOTS of reports. :biggrin1: Some of our younger members don't remember the days before computers, let alone the days before the GUI interface and the mouse. I was SO proficient at typing formatting codes and writing DOS scripts!

Shortly after that, I got a Mac Plus. I've owned a Mac of one model or another since then (the second one I owned was a Performa 6116CD, and I replaced it with the G4 gigabit ethernet that I still own & use.)

I worked at a tech company for about 4 years in the early 1990s, and we did some heavy image processing, so we were mostly a Mac company (although I spent about 10 months in another department in that same company, using a Sun SparcStation). Other than that, I've always used PCs at work.

Pre-Windows2000 Windows operating systems were SHIT! 3.x was the worst I've seen. The best operating system I've worked with was MacOS 9.x

Our PC friends here never miss a chance to talk about the Mac snobs, but I've more often seen the reverse to be true. Personally, I don't really care which computer or why, another person chooses to use. I have had some really rabid anti-Macs tear into me for preferring Mac, though. One example in a previous post was someone who mentioned that Mac users like things to be easier. Really, though, what's wrong with that? Things have changed since then, but a few years back, (when Win 3.1 was ubiquitous) a PC fanatic engaged me in an argument about why PC was better. He started with price, and I mentioned that if we compared, my Mac, out of the box, cost about the same as his PC if he were to add a video card (extra), and a networking card (also extra). My processor also had much better performance ratings, even though it was about half speed. He began foaming at the mouth and saying it wasn't a fair comparison, because mine was a RISC processor. I just shrugged. I also mentioned that if I added a memory chip or an external drive, I didn't have to set any dip switches or re-write the config.sys and autoexec.bat files. I just plugged in the chip or the cable, and turned on the machine. He really lost control then.

Personally, if it works, and works well, I don't care.

jeunessedoree

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It's dumb to make generalizations about anything, much less sexual orientation. To say that gays prefer Macs, is like saying girls prefer cats. Although you could bring up infinite amounts of statistics and evidence proving this, it's just as easy to refute that claim.
Assuming that homosexuals prefer Macs implies what, exactly? It implies that Macs are stylish and trendy. And since all homosexuals are replicates of the Fab 5, they are also stylish and trendy. Thus we can make the assumption that homosexuality=Macintosh. WRONG. It is solely a matter of preference. You can not create trends or statistics based off of something completely insignificant such as sexual orientation. THERE IS NO CONNECTION.

jeunessedoree

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I tried posting, but my internet crashed.

PC all the way. I've used both, and PC's outstripe in my book for many reasons.

First and foremost, cost vs quality.

If you want something safe and all that, run Linux for free, instead of spending 3k on a Mac that can cost you 1.5 with Linux. Mac's truly are for people who just want things EASY and done for them. Who don't want to think, and want everything all pretty.
Hell for that matter, Ubuntu can do all that + cool stuff like Beryl and the like.

Also, when it comes down to gaming, hands down Windows. You wont see any serious gamers on Macs because the support isn't there, and the overhead is actually quite a bit. You talk about loading times? Learn to not be an idiot. All my PC's start up fast because I don't let spyware and extra crap on it. Sure Windows will get that stuff and mac's wont: but Mac's aren't being targeted; they dont have the market share to make it work a hackers trouble to write code for their Kernel. They can still be hacked, people just don't normally bother learning. It's much more convenient to know how to Hack a Windows system: And don't even bother trying to hack a Linux box.
Note: Linux = PC to me.

And finally: Vista. Honestly it's a good OS. Overhead? Of course, but they said the same thing about XP when it was released. Security? is actually good now, took some time and with SP1 coming out, it'll be even better. Takes some getting used to, but I've been running it since Beta 2 and love it.

PC all the way. Sidenote: at ITT Tech where I attend school, we learn Linux and Windows: Our Mac's literally have dust on them, and are only used once in a great while by the Graphic Art students. Honestly it's kinda sad because 100% of Mac's are VERY GOOD in terms of hardware; they have some serious balls - and need them to run OSX (And would run Vista easily)

Therein lies another problem with Mac's, they need specific hardware to run OSX. Kinda crappy. Install Linux some time, and let your jaw drop when it detects every bit of hardware right down to the weird off brand monitor you're using.

I would disagree with you that 'Mac's truly are for people who just want things EASY and done for them. Who don't want to think, and want everything all pretty.' Yes, Macs have simple operating systems. Yes, Apple does happen to place some energy into the aesthetics of their machines (thank god!). But by no means are Macs for people who don't want to think. The Mac UI was created so users don't have to go to MyComputer/User2/C:/ProgramFiles/RealPlayer/MusicFiles/Music/Songs/etc...but instead /Music/iTunes. All Apple has done is make it so it takes 30 minutes to create that data report for your boss instead of 60. Windows has so many technicalities and trivialities that you lose track of how much more time you would have saved using a Mac.
It's also nice not having to scan my computer for viruses everyday after using it ;)

viking1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I would disagree with you that 'Mac's truly are for people who just want things EASY and done for them. Who don't want to think, and want everything all pretty.' Yes, Macs have simple operating systems. Yes, Apple does happen to place some energy into the aesthetics of their machines (thank god!). But by no means are Macs for people who don't want to think. The Mac UI was created so users don't have to go to MyComputer/User2/C:/ProgramFiles/RealPlayer/MusicFiles/Music/Songs/etc...but instead /Music/iTunes. All Apple has done is make it so it takes 30 minutes to create that data report for your boss instead of 60. Windows has so many technicalities and trivialities that you lose track of how much more time you would have saved using a Mac.
It's also nice not having to scan my computer for viruses everyday after using it ;)

Amen! :grinning-smiley-003

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I have a friend who says the majority of folks who are Gay use macs and straight folks use PC's...What type of computer do u use?

Macs are kind of gay, but not in a homosexual sense. I know plenty of straight people who use Macs.

I use a PC. In the past, I have stayed away from Macs for a variety of reasons. I've never liked the interface as much as Windows, a lot of it seems counterintuitive. Used to be that it was impossible to find much software support for Macs, everything was made for PCs. When Mac popularity among consumers started to really take off, I think that was with the introduction of the iMac, which I hated. They looked ugly, were underpowered, and had ridiculously small keyboards and mouses for my giant sized hands. I wanted a computer, not a toy.

Those are some of my historical reasons for not owning a Mac. I know a lot of those problems have been addressed. Though the Mac people haven't stopped harping on stereotypes from the early 90s in their advertising- such as nothing "just works" with a PC.

When I opted to get a PC laptop recently, I considered buying a Mac instead. I went with the PC, because if I wanted something even remotely comparable in terms of performance and features in a Mac (and I consulted multiple different reviews and benchmark tests) I would have had to pay literally TWICE as much for the Mac vs. the Dell Inspiron with Vista I ended up purchasing. There's no possible way I could justify that. I find that the reliability and security of Macs vs. PCs are completely overblown, I have had no problems with viruses or malware on my PC that wasn't my own fault and have had Macs crash on me plenty of times. Also, and I know this is relatively inconsequential, but I find the snooty self-satisfied passive condescension of most Mac advertising and most Mac owners to be very distasteful. I'd be a little bit embarrassed to be any part of that.

ZOS23xy

Sexy Member
Media
Intelligent and use a Mac. I have nine Macs in the house of various ages. One is the old "fridge" Mac with the tiny screen. Currently use an eMac.

The household does have a PC, but its for games played on line by my son and it crashes frequently, and the interface is horrid and the kid often can't find stored files unless he sits down and searches everything.

What's "gay" got to do with owning a Mac? I though computers were to make things easier.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay

My Inspiron is prettier than your Mac.

Vista is very easy to use.

I click on Start and then Music to get to where my songs are.

Quicktime and iTunes are some of the slowest bloatware I have and take longer to load than almost anything else I regularly use on my computer.

I never scan for viruses and have only had one which I was dumb enough to install myself. If more people used Macs there'd probably be more people making viruses for them, and if you install a virus on your own computer you deserve to have it. There's an automatic virus scan that runs on my computer periodically but it never catches anything. Why do Mac users always resort to bogeyman scare tactics to try and make their case?

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Our PC friends here never miss a chance to talk about the Mac snobs, but I've more often seen the reverse to be true.

You become irritated when you are bombarded every day by snooty ads suggesting that you are somehow inferior because of the computer you use, and fools you meet who seem to agree with the ads, even if they are based on total crap. The PC users are just reacting. Or perhaps overreacting, in DC's experience.

viking1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Yep, this thread has gone just the way I knew it would. Anytime you ask something that is just an objective opinion it will end with an insult filled argument. Although, there are some legitimate good points to both operating systems, it's mostly just what you like, understand best, or suits your particular needs best.

It's just like democrat vs republican, Christian vs Muslim, white vs black, Ford vs Chevy, or the Yankees vs Red Sox. It's just opinion, and nothing brings out more hatred than one's beliefs and opinions. I really hate to see these kinds of threads get started. I cringe every time I see one, and I need to just stay out of them, period...

imacdaddy

Experimental Member
Media
uh, im strait and as you can tell, i love my mac. Im writing this on my mac. I do all my presentations on my mac. My mac loves me. IF i would be gay it would only be for steve jobs so he could give me gifts from apple...

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
What exactly does this have to do with appearance and clothing issues? Just curious

The people who give a shit about whether they use a Mac or a PC are the same ones who have incorporated their personal computers into their commodity selves, and therefore it is tied in very closely.