Racism

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My parents taught me to think for myself and I think tiptoeing around the word in context of a discussion on racism gives it power on par with the lord's name which you must not speak in vain.

Try and not quote scripture when you are on a big cock site, it's ridiculous.

I also think that there is a difference between using the word as a weapon and using it as an example in discussion.

That makes total sense if there was a situation where you absolutely HAD to use the actual word and couldn't just substitute the "n word" in it's place. You didn't have one of those situations, you didn't need to say the actual word, but you did. Also, the context that you were using it was in the tired old "black people can be racist too" argument. All I saw was racial insensitivity in your post and then on top of that you actually used the fucking "n word" when you didn't have to, you chose to while excoriating black folk for being racist too.

And, you're wrong, black folk cannot really be racist because "White devils" do exist, I've met many in my life.

Following that requirement there aren't many black people anywhere who truly understand racism. It's not the black people who get pulled aside to hear these whispers, now, is it?

Do African Americans actually know how racist many white people are? Probably not as much anymore, but their parents and grandparents sure did, white people didn't go to the point of hiding it back then like they do now.

Your every post on this issue has been patronizing. "I know black folk" is as patronizing to me as my mother (white) telling me I had no clue of the "black experience", but that she had lived it.:rolleyes:

She's right.

The cat avatar was a beloved pet and is there for my pleasure, not yours. If you don't like it you can go fuck yourself.

I got nothing against beloved pets... I had a seal point Siamese once, that cat was a lunatic bitch, but I loved her. I don't have anything against the avatar.

X and Y are two people I work with. X doesn't particularly take the job seriously and Y is a consummate weasely, suck-up. Walking into the office one day I overheard Y saying that X would never get fired because he was black. I detailed the disciplinary process our company uses and for the sheer pleasure of watching him squirm I insisted that he elaborate on how skin colour would trump that. He couldn't but the back pedaling was entertainment. Since then I have also heard corroborating reports that at a coworker's housewarming party he said that he disapproved of the intermixing of the races. He claims it was because he was drunk, he would neeeeeever say something like that. Right. Alcohol loosens inhibitions allowing you to be more yourself than when your sober filters are working. Strike two. Ironic that he should spend so much time flattering me if he considers my very existence an abomination.

When and if strike three happens his racially pure ass is going to be out of a job. He knows it and his renewed obsequiousness is starting to grate.

Y is a stereotypical racist that basically needs to be sterilized so that he won't breed. He's a scumbag of the worst order. I totally understand your pleasure in watching him squirm, but was he not aware of your racial background when he was saying these things? He sounds rather bold, which is the worst kind of racist.

Maybe if white people called each other by your sacred "n word"

You know what? It ain't my word and it ain't part of my religion. I don't have any kind of connection to the word other than with pure disgust. It ain't my word by any stretch of the imagination.

that would dillute it's historical context and change it's meaning sooner. Wouldn't that be a positive change?

They already do it as we speak and I don't see how that is gonna do anything but add more confusion to an already confusing subject. I can't see how a simple semantic change would go very far in abolishing the word from the lexicon, but I could be wrong.

Or do we need to preserve the word, never use it in any context whatsoever lest it's power dim and we lose it as enduring reminder of why there must be an "us" and "them".

The word will lose it's meaning when the racism leaves the hearts of those who would use it. You could throw it down a well or bury it deep underground, but one day, someone will find it and start using it again. People need the internal mechanism to not have a reason to want to use it.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
A few nights ago, I was watching the movie "Deliverance" .For those who are not familiar with it , it focuses on four friends who decide to brave white water canoeing on a river in Georgia (US). Both the protagonists and antagonists in this film were white. Yet, the four "weekend warriors" refered to the indigenous Georgia hill folk as "Crackers". It then hit me that the reason that certain terms being bandied around as perjorative may hit a chord with some and not with others is that it may refer to a specific segment of a population to whom the casual observer may or may not be aware. In that film I saw the difference between educated middle class men and men who were portrayed as uneducated, impoverished ones. THough they both had the same superficial exterior within that word "Cracker" there lay a vast divide as wide as the Grand Canyon.
For those to which it was applied, it stamped them with an undesirable "otherness" of which those who applied it felt immune.
A black colleague of mine used to quote her father's expression that told the same story , "You may be my color but you sho' ain't my kind"
For those who feel they are above it, the term can roll right off their backs. Even for those to whom it may have been applied who now see themselves as having transcended their origins it can be dismissed. It is only when applied within its community by members of that community that it can be acknowledged or even said, with affectionate knowing as if to say, I can say it because I know it" But coming from those outside the group the word still has power to strike a blow.
In the same vein, the word "Nigger": similarly conjures up for those of African descent a term that was applied to subjugate, objectify, diminish for purposes of social or economic gain by those outside its group. In the black community, it could be used to describe all that was felt to be shameful and uncouth and to be run from. For those who dont look or live close enough to the negative it can at times be dismissed but used to "put in the dozens" a term coming from slavery meant to obliterate the individual and place him as anonymous among "the dozens" of others like him in a similar position.

Recently we have seen in the hip hop, a tradition born of the underclass, an embracing of the perjorative in order to eliminate its power and sting. Just as like can call like, the term "Nigger" has come to represent one's peer in all that it represents, acknowledging the flaws along with the strengths. It is has become a term of solidarity, us against the world.It now has come to be used as a term of endearment (shock!) by black and white alike for one's homie or friend.

I want you all to look at this clip from "8 mile" a film starring Eminem . In the clip he does the same for white perjoratives through his rap retort to a detractor what the word "Nigger" has come to represent in the rap community at large.

YouTube - 8 mile final battle

Pitbull

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Do African Americans actually know how racist many white people are? Probably not as much anymore, but their parents and grandparents sure did, white people didn't go to the point of hiding it back then like they do now.

Most of the white people I know, unless they are maybe older than 70, are not racist. They do not discriminate and understand and are sensitive to the long history of racism in this country and what blacks have had to endure over the centuries.

Maybe you are socializing with the wrong people.
From what you have posted, I get the impression that as soon as there are no "black folk" around you get pulled aside by "racist white folk" who say "the most awful crap about black folk in a whisper".

Or do you just stereotype white people?
With few exception (such as yourself, of course) we "white folk" are all just a bunch of racists?

Pitbull

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
So, you are black?

I don't believe it, I think that you like using the "n word" and you being black is just a smokescreen against being accused of being racist on this board for your ease in using the "n word".

Prove me wrong and post a pic.

Looks like it is time for you to demand a picture from Naughty.
She posted the same thing in TWO threads and used the "N" word with seeming ease.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Most of the white people I know, unless they are maybe older than 70, are not racist. They do not discriminate and understand and are sensitive to the long history of racism in this country and what blacks have had to endure over the centuries.

Maybe you are socializing with the wrong people.
From what you have posted, I get the impression that as soon as there are no "black folk" around you get pulled aside by "racist white folk" who say "the most awful crap about black folk in a whisper".

Or do you just stereotype white people?
With few exception (such as yourself, of course) we "white folk" are all just a bunch of racists?

Pitbull,

I think the power of your statement is the opening, "Most of the people I know". Tripod's experience is perhaps vastly different from yours. I dont think any of us can obliterate what we dont want to see with "Most". As long as people are people, they are going to try to find a way to distinguish themselves from others. Be it through foul means or fair. Many of us may congratulate ourselves in our open mindedness towards those not like us, "we have overcome". But as long as any one of us silently compares ourselves to that homeless man on the street and imply in the thought "go get a job" that somehow we are immune. NOT! We ALL discriminate. We may feel we are comfortable enough not to get down and dirty with it through words but our looks, silent thoughts, and dismissive acts betray us. THis is part of the human condition, people. We need to each check ourselves and think how am I contributing to the problem rather than covering it over with a coat of dismissiveness. Because we refuse to see it, doesnt mean it isnt there.

Pitbull

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Try and not quote scripture when you are on a big cock site, it's ridiculous.

And, you're wrong, black folk cannot really be racist because "White devils" do exist, I've met many in my life.

There was no quoting of scripture.

And you are wrong!
Black people can be racist.
(and many are - guess you are not pulled aside to hear the whispers)
Maybe you need to educate yourself of the Hutu & Tutsi that has been occurring in Africa in the past 16 years.
I am guess you will claim that since all involved are of similar skin tone, it does not qualify as racism.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Looks like it is time for you to demand a picture from Naughty.
She posted the same thing in TWO threads and used the "N" word with seeming ease.

You dont have to worry about that. G, has seen a picture of me. I am quite real. What did I have to do with your discussion with Tripod anyway? Yes, I DID USE THAT WORD. I USED BOTH WORDS. It is the words surrounding them that should be looked at, Pitbull.

Pitbull

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Naughty,

I hope you, or anyone else, does not take what I wrote to mean that I think racist white people do not exist.

They do.

But Tripod does seem to be stereotyping.
Racism - the white person's disease.
And that was what I have an issue with.

Pitbull

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You dont have to worry about that. G, has seen a picture of me. I am quite real. What did I have to do with your discussion with Tripod anyway? Yes, I DID USE THAT WORD. I USED BOTH WORDS. It is the words surrounding them that should be looked at, Pitbull.

I agree with what you that it is how the words are used.
The reference to Tripod was his post earlier demanding to see a picture of Gillette because she used the "N" word in this thread.

I know you are real.
I have a reliable source (Not G).
I've also been told you are quite attractive. :wink:

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Naughty,

I hope you, or anyone else, does not take what I wrote to mean that I think racist white people do not exist.

They do.

But Tripod does seem to be stereotyping.
Racism - the white person's disease.
And that was what I have an issue with.

Pitbull,

I am very frustrated that no one seems to see what Hickboy was trying to say here. The term "racism" has a number of different meanings.You can see it in the cut and pastes that everyone continues to put up on the board. We are dancing all around the issue and never getting to it. He is not saying that black people can not behave unfairly unjustly or even discriminate, be prejudiced or bigoted. He was stating that using the first and second definitions of the word they traditionally and on a wide scale have not had the ability to enact major negative consequences in the lives of vast majorities of individuals soley on the basis of color. They could not do it on a wide scale with the full power of the law behind them. They traditionally were not part of the old boys club, they waited on the club.
If you have read my posts you will see that I have stated that we all do this to one another be it large or small. All of us. If not in matters of race, it might be intelligence, education, taste. It is the same as what women felt and sometimes still feel when they dont receive the full value of their work because of their gender. OR Gay members of the society feel when they are not given the privileges that most feel is their right.

I dont believe we are saying by any means that there are not black people who dont misuse the system to their advantage. THere are many who do and I feel they do everyone a disservice. But traditionally on a wide scale in the US the effects of centuries of inequity can still be felt.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I agree with what you that it is how the words are used.
The reference to Tripod was his post earlier demanding to see a picture of Gillette because she used the "N" word in this thread.

I know you are real.
I have a reliable source (Not G).
I've also been told you are quite attractive. :wink:

We all go there sometimes, Pitbull. I cant speak for Tripod but I guess it always is a surprise when people who say they are of African descent or at least partial African descent in the US or even Canada can not seem to see that though they themselves have not experienced certain things that does not mean that all have not. There are many things that I fight over that do not apply to me. I am well educated, upper middle class, light skinned woman of mixed ancestry with long hair and green hazel eyes . My personal experience may not have been to experience rank deep down racism or discrimination on the basis of my color or culture but I too have had my moments.. I have seen others who do experience it. There are people of African American descent on this board who may live a vastly different experience than I do and I want to acknowledge their experience as well. IT still exists even if we want it to go away.

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Naughty, you were talking about what Hickboy's intent was with this thread. Let's hear what the fellow himself had to say!

Post # 32 in this thread, FYI--
Quote: [mem]
Just so you know, I couldn't care less what your opinion of me is.

I'm sure you don't care about my opinion of you, but here it goes. Most of your threads are troll-like, and I get that your intention is to be goofy or offbeat. If a new member posted the same thing they would quickly be banned. Someone told me that they thought your posts were funny, but I don't see it.
Originally Posted by Mem [URL]http://www.lpsg.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif[/URL]

[Hickboy] You are correct.

My personal reading of this is that Hickboy likes controversy, any controversy, and enjoys seeing you and Tripod and Gillette and Pitbull squabbling. :tongue:

Last edited:

Snakebyte

Superior Member
Media
Black people, in the USA, in 2010, are not capable of being racist. There is no person or group of people of color who can block me from having easier access to money, government services, education, or anything else.

Racism, Sexism, Ageism can really only apply to the party who has the ability to enact power that can change the lives and circumstances of others. Got it?

Seriously. I think murder does change the circumstances and lives of others. So if a black man kills a white man because he hates whites, it's still no racism, right?
EVERYBODY can be racist. Black, white, red, yellow or even green.

After all I totally think that the best posts in this thread were made by Gillette and VinylBoy.

And tripod, first I thought you were black after reading your posts. After recognizing that you're actually white I only had a weary smile left for you. You're offended by the "n" word and tell a black/mixed person not to use it. You really got issues, don't you? You say you know more about racism then a black/mixed person. Hilarious.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Naughty, you were talking about what Hickboy's intent was with this thread. Let's hear what the fellow himself had to say!

Post # 32 in this thread, FYI--
Quote: [mem]
Just so you know, I couldn't care less what your opinion of me is.

I'm sure you don't care about my opinion of you, but here it goes. Most of your threads are troll-like, and I get that your intention is to be goofy or offbeat. If a new member posted the same thing they would quickly be banned. Someone told me that they thought your posts were funny, but I don't see it.
Originally Posted by Mem [URL]http://www.lpsg.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif[/URL]

[Hickboy] You are correct.

My personal reading of this is that Hickboy likes controversy, any controversy, and enjoys seeing you and Tripod and Gillette and Pitbull squabbling. :tongue:

Actually knowing Hickboy, He likes to play but about subjects like this he is DEAD SERIOUS. But I am sure at some point you will have your chance to hear more of what HE has to say. Oh and as far as squabbling is concerned I hope not to consider it just squabbling. I should hope it is open and honest expression of a divergence of opinion.

Last edited:

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Seriously. I think murder does change the circumstances and lives of others. So if a black man kills a white man because he hates whites, it's still no racism, right?
EVERYBODY can be racist. Black, white, red, yellow or even green.

After all I totally think that the best posts in this thread were made by Gillette and VinylBoy.

And tripod, first I thought you were black after reading your posts. After recognizing that you're actually white I only had a weary smile left for you. You're offended by the "n" word and tell a black/mixed person not to use it. You really got issues, don't you? You say you know more about racism then a black/mixed person. Hilarious.

Did you read any of what I just said? Wow!

Snakebyte

Superior Member
Media
Ok, I'd like to add an example.
In Simbabwe white farmers were killed just because they were white. In South Africa over 600 white farmers were killed just because they were white. Even leaders of Mandela's ANC used the slogan "Kill the Boers, kill the farmers" for a long time.
In Namibia white farmers had to pay way higher taxes than black farmers with the intention to get rid of the whites.

And NOW you come and tell me that this is no racism?
Especially in Namibia the situation did fit the definition of institutional racism quite well.

Last edited: