Recipes...

taven

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by DC_DEEP@Aug 15 2005, 06:46 AM
My fave is to make home-made onion bagels, but I won't put any of you through that...

Dinner rolls

1 cup lukewarm water
1 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 packet active dry yeast (not quick-rise) (be sure it is fresh!)
about 3 cups unbleached flour

Stir together the first 4 ingredients in a LARGE mixing bowl, until the yeast begins to dissolve. Add 2 cups of the flour, and stir well. Add additional flour until dough begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured board or countertop, cover with a clean dry kitchen towel, and allow it to rest for 10 minutes. Knead the dough vigorously for 10 minutes, adding only enough additional flour to keep it from sticking. Get physical with it - pound it with your fists, pick it up and slam it down a few times, this brings out the gluten for a good texture. After 10 minutes of kneading, shape dough back into a ball, and cut into 12 approximately equal pieces, shape each piece into a ball, and place into a large (I use a 9.5x16") greased baking pan or cookie sheet. The cookie sheet will give rolls with a crustier edge. Cover again with the kitchen towel, place in a warm place and let rise for 30 minutes (for a very warm place, 80 degrees or more) up to one hour (for a cooler place, 75 degrees or less) until the rolls have almost doubled in size. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and bake the rolls 30 minutes or until well-browned. Preheating is imperative for proper "oven spring". Turn rolls out onto a wire rack for about 3 or 4 minutes before serving. With a little practice, this is a very easy recipe, and I have always gotten excellent feedback on them.

Next week: homemade pecan sticky buns.......
[post=335664]Quoted post[/post]​

GO ahead with the bagel recipe...around here all the bagels are misnamed bread shaped like a donut.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Originally posted by taven+Aug 15 2005, 02:57 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(taven &#064; Aug 15 2005, 02:57 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-DC_DEEP@Aug 15 2005, 06:46 AM
My fave is to make home-made onion bagels, but I won&#39;t put any of you through that...

GO ahead with the bagel recipe...around here all the bagels are misnamed bread shaped like a donut.
[post=335729]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]
You axed for it&#33;

Use the above recipe, add one additional Tbsp sugar and 2 Tbsp dried minced onion. Light sprinkle a cookie sheet with cornmeal. After kneading and shaping into balls, take one, pinch through the center, and stretch it slightly to make a hole - just don&#39;t rip it. Place on the prepared cookie sheet, let rise about 10 minutes, then start a 4-qt pot of water to boil. When the water is at a full rolling boil, carefully lift the bagels one at a time and drop into the boiling water, (just boil about 3 at a time), boil for about 1.5 minutes per side, then remove to a wire rack to drain while you boil the next 3. Preheat the oven to 350 while boiling the bagels. When all are boiled and drained, place again on the cornmeal-prepared cookie sheet, bake at 350 for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.

The boiling step is what gives the bagels the firm, chewy crust and texture.

taven

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by DC_DEEP+Aug 15 2005, 06:59 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DC_DEEP &#064; Aug 15 2005, 06:59 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by taven@Aug 15 2005, 02:57 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-DC_DEEP
@Aug 15 2005, 06:46 AM
My fave is to make home-made onion bagels, but I won&#39;t put any of you through that...

[post=335729]Quoted post[/post]​
You axed for it&#33;

Use the above recipe, add one additional Tbsp sugar and 2 Tbsp dried minced onion. Light sprinkle a cookie sheet with cornmeal. After kneading and shaping into balls, take one, pinch through the center, and stretch it slightly to make a hole - just don&#39;t rip it. Place on the prepared cookie sheet, let rise about 10 minutes, then start a 4-qt pot of water to boil. When the water is at a full rolling boil, carefully lift the bagels one at a time and drop into the boiling water, (just boil about 3 at a time), boil for about 1.5 minutes per side, then remove to a wire rack to drain while you boil the next 3. Preheat the oven to 350 while boiling the bagels. When all are boiled and drained, place again on the cornmeal-prepared cookie sheet, bake at 350 for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.

The boiling step is what gives the bagels the firm, chewy crust and texture.
[post=335819]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]
Thanks&#33; I&#39;m going to try this.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Just don&#39;t let the bagels rise as long as you would regular loaves of bread or rolls - if you do, you can&#39;t lift them up to drop them into the boiling water. It is a tricky procedure, that takes quite a bit of practice to get it just right. If you don&#39;t let them rise long enough, they are dough-y after cooking. If you let them rise too long, they fall, and "deflate", which gives you the same result - flat, doughy, inedible rubbery things. If your first attempt is not successful, feed &#39;em to the birds and try again, it is worth it.

dcwrestlefan

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by BruceSter@Aug 18 2005, 05:05 PM
My favorite recipe? Whatever&#39;s on the tavern&#39;s today menu. I&#39;m a cookbook dyslectic.
[post=336447]Quoted post[/post]​

One of those things that mostly left me high and dry too. Butt, theres a couple things I can do cooking wise. Besides make a mean bowl of corn flakes. (the secret is making the top of the cereal nice and flat prior to pouring the milk and sugar on it)

MARYLAND CREAM OF CRAB SOUP (compliments of my sister&#39;s mother in law)

Get a pound of jumbo lump crab meat, preferably not from overseas. (the crab species are different there) Pick through it to remove any leftover shells etc.

Melt 4 tablespoons of butter slowly in a pot or saucepan. Stir in 1/3 cup of flour until smooth. Now stir in a cup of chicken broth and 1/4 teaspoon of Old Bay Seasoning. Simmer for 2 minutes until slightly thickened. Put in 5 cups of milk (use less or cut it with "half and half" if you like it thicker) and cook slowly until thickened. Don&#39;t boil it&#33; Add crab meat and continue to cook but not boil. Add seasoning to taste. (I put in a bit more Old Bay and garnish with a few parsley flakes) Other people also throw in a little Worcestershire sauce and/or finely chopped celery and/or finely chopped onion. Serve with oyster crackers. Makes 10 cups, depending on how much milk you used.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
Originally posted by BruceSter@Aug 18 2005, 01:05 PM
My favorite recipe? Whatever&#39;s on the tavern&#39;s today menu. I&#39;m a cookbook dyslectic.
[post=336447]Quoted post[/post]​

Then there was the dyslexic cook who was found dead with his head in the oven.

The cookbook said "Place roast in oven and cook."

jay_too

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Buttermilk Pie
[an after the gym fav....it is even heathy...relatively]

I mix it in a blender &#39;cos it is easier to wash up.

3 XL eggs or 4 large eggs
0.5 t of lemon extract
juice of one lemon or lime
1.75 cups of buttermilk [I use 1%.]
1 T of flour
dash of salt

Blend and gradually add
0.75 cup of sugar

Pour into pie shell and bake in a preheated 375 oven for 7 minutes. Reduce to 350 and bake an additional 40 minutes.

It is delicious at room temperature or stick in fridge and chill. For some reason, chilling changes everything....texture and taste wise. We always regret there is not more to chill....ah well.

SpiceboyMJ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
This recipe is from Ina Garten. As scary as it sounds it is quite delicious&#33;

Chicken with Forty Cloves of Garlic

3 whole heads garlic, about 40 cloves
2 (3 1/2-pound) chickens, cut into eighths
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 tablespoons good olive oil
3 tablespoons Cognac, divided
1 1/2 cups dry white wine
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons heavy cream

Separate the cloves of garlic and drop them into a pot of boiling water for 60 seconds. Drain the garlic and peel. Set aside.
Dry the chicken with paper towels. Season liberally with salt and pepper on both sides. Heat the butter and oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. In batches, saute the chicken in the fat, skin side down first, until nicely browned, about 3 to 5 minutes on each side. Turn with tongs or a spatula; you don&#39;t want to pierce the skin with a fork. If the fat is burning, turn the heat down to medium. When a batch is done, transfer it to a plate and continue to saute all the chicken in batches. Remove the last chicken to the plate and add all of the garlic to the pot. Lower the heat and saute for 5 to 10 minutes, turning often, until evenly browned. Add 2 tablespoons of the Cognac and the wine, return to a boil, and scrape the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Return the chicken to the pot with the juices and sprinkle with the thyme leaves. Cover and simmer over the lowest heat for about 30 minutes, until all the chicken is done.

Remove the chicken to a platter and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm. In a small bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup of the sauce and the flour and then whisk it back into the sauce in the pot. Raise the heat, add the remaining tablespoon of Cognac and the cream, and boil for 3 minutes. Add salt and pepper, to taste; it should be very flavorful because chicken tends to be bland. Pour the sauce and the garlic over the chicken and serve hot.

SpiceboyMJ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by TexAssgirl@Aug 25 2005, 09:10 AM
I have that recipe in 2 of my cookbooks, but neither ask for Cognac or cream. Yours sounds much tastier.
[post=337848]Quoted post[/post]​
Oh, it&#39;s so decadent&#33; I love it&#33;

D_Barbi_Queue

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Time to resurrect an old thread:

Crawfish Cornbread
1lb. crawfish tails boiled & chopped
2 cups cheddar cheese
1 stick butter melted
1 can cream corn (15 oz.)
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup bell pepper chopped
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup green onions chopped
1 package JIFFY cornbread mix (81/2oz.box)
3 eggs beaten well
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. Tony's Creole seasoning
2 jalapeno peppers chopped (optional)(remove seeds)
Mix all above together. Pour into a 9x12 pan and bake 350 degrees for 45 minutes or ! until done in the middle. (check with tooth pick until comes out clean)

Webster

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
No Response
DoubleMeatWhopper said:
Okay, here I go with a recipe that no one will try!

Poulet Ga&#195;&#175;otti

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 small pkg. Philadelphia cream cheese
4 green onions, chopped (including tops)
12 rashers turkey bacon
Butter-flavoured cooking spray
Olive oil-flavoured cooking spray
Salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste

Pound the chicken breasts to &#194;&#188;" - &#194;&#189;" thickness. Spray breasts with butter-flavoured cooking spray and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Divide block of cream cheese into four equal portions and place one on the middle of each chicken breast. Press some chopped green onion into the cream cheese. Bring up the edges of each chicken breast to cover the cream cheese; secure with toothpicks. Wrap each chicken breast bundle with three rashers of turken bacon, securing with toothpicks. Spray the whole with olive oil-flavoured cooking spray. Bake 30 minutes at 325&#194;&#176;, then transfer to the broiler for a few minutes until the bacon is slightly crisp.

Serve with a salad of baby spinach leaves, cucumber, celery, mushrooms and grated Romano cheese dressed with a tarragon and white wine vinaigrette. A glass of fum&#195;&#171; blanc goes well with the meal.
Thanks.

BTW, the recipe name sounds like it came from the Mafia!

Webster

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
No Response
DoubleMeatWhopper said:
Uh, excuse me, but as I recall, you said about my contribution:
<!--QuoteBegin-Dr. Dilznick[/i]
Philadelphia cream cheese? That shit wouldn't fly in my kitchen.
[/quote]

Webster

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
No Response
POT ROAST WITH RED SAUCE

3 to 4 pound boneless beef chuck roast
1 T garlic salt
1/4 C all-purpose flour
2 T vegetable oil
3 C beef broth (use the good expensive stuff in the box)
4 C Marinara sauce ( Classico brand in the jars is great )
one pound dry rigatoni
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 350 F

Rub the roast all over with the garlic salt.
Coat the roast with the flour.
Heat the oil in a large skillet and brown the roast on all sides.
Transfer the roast to a 9 x 13 roasting pan.

Pour the beef broth into the skillet and cook over medium high heat for one minute scraping up any browned bits from the bottom.
Add the marinara sauce to the skillet. Stir to combine and pour the mixture over the roast.
Place meat thermometer in roast. Cover roast with aluminum foil (leaving thermometer exposed). Put pan on a baking sheet to catch any drips.
Cook until thermometer reaches 150 F.

Cook rigatoni according to package directions.

Transfer roast to a cutting board to rest for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, cook sauce in a sauce pan on top of the stove on medium high heat to thicken. Add salt and pepper.

Serve the thinly sliced pot roast and sauce over the rigatoni.

Webster

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
No Response
CHINESE BEEF WITH ONIONS

1 1/2 pounds stew beef cut into small bite size pieces
1/2 t salt
1 egg white
1 T corn starch
cooking oil
4 medium onions, thinly sliced
1 T dry white wine or sherry
1 T sugar
4 T dark soy sauce

Combine beef, salt, egg white, and corn starch. Mix well.
Heat 2 T oil in wok or kettle. Sear beef. Remove and set aside.

Reheat 2 T oil in wok. Stir-fry onions until tender. ( add oil if necessary during stir frying )

Add beef, sherry, sugar, and soy sauce. Stir-fry for one minute.

Webster

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
No Response
CHICKEN WITH WALNUTS

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite size pieces
1 t salt
1 egg white
1 T corn starch
cooking oil
1 C walnut halves
1 red bell pepper seeded and cut into bite size chunks
1 green bell pepper seeded and cut into bite size chunks
2 T black bean sauce
2 T sugar
1/4 C chicken stock
1 T sherry

Combine chicken, salt, egg white, corn starch. Mix well.

Heat 2 T oil in wok and stir fry chicken about 2 minutes. Remove and set aside.

Stir-fry walnuts over medium heat until golden brown. Remove and set aside.

Heat 1 T oil in wok and stir fry peppers about 2 minutes. Set aside.

Heat 2 T oil and stir in bean sauce for about 3 minutes.

Lower heat and add sugar, chicken stock and sherry. Stir until dark brown.

Turn heat back to high and combine all ingredients stir-frying until heated.

Serve with steamed rice.

lopo2000

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Hi,

Guys, I looooove to bake, well the basic kinds that is. Sometimes I bake cheesecakes, pies, muffins, etc. But, it seems like the ways I do them, there'll always be something wrong here and there.

I can get recipes easily enough on the internet, but it seems to be very hard to be precise and skillful in your baking technique...

Okay, here's my real question, I like to bake cheesecakes. I like the hard one, the soft one I believe is added with flour. But the one I did is dry and very hard. It's not like the one that I always bought from the expensive cafe. So, guys without using flour, how to make a pact cheesecake fluffy and rich in cheese and hard in the same time...I don't know if I ask it the right way though...

Thanks in advance...

CUBE

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I would use a thermometer in your oven to make sure the temp is accurate. This is the numer one contributer to recipes not turning out right. Cheesecakes often over bake very easily.