Songs That Make You Cry

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
Sometimes a sad song can make you feel better. Even if you don't physically cry, a little audio massage to the head can do amazing things to the body.

I've always been fascinated by how music affects the brain - I've seen amazing and beautiful footage of what it can to seniors with dementia/alzheimers.
My sweetie often plays for senior living situations, from independent living to memory care. He tells of how they light up when he plays something they remember, but then watches it fade.

twoton

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
This might be sappy. “The Way We Were,” sung by Barbra.

And Chopin’s Etude #3. I used to play it on my mom’s piano as she was getting older, knowing full well that there would be a time when she wouldn’t be there to hear me play. It’s been a couple years since I’ve ginned up the courage to play it again. Top Tracks - Frédéric Chopin - YouTube

willow78

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Here is the short (30 minute) documentary I saw a few years ago. I don't know if it's viewable outside Australia.

It does contain footage of young-uns so I'll probably have to delete it, but I really wanted to share it.

Reactions: MickeyLee

sizehungry

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Just been listening to a song called " Hammerhead " by Aussie singer James Reyne . It's about heroin addiction , and it brought me to tears because of my dearest friend , who was killed in a car accident last night . He helped me get off narcotics , and turn my life around , when no one else wanted to know me . My eyes are running now , and i just wish i could go with him , and protect him from further suffering if there is such a thing , but i know that is wrong , so i guess i'll just stay , and stand silent guard over his widow and kids . Fuck i hate this world right now .

MisterB

Worshipped Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Just been listening to a song called " Hammerhead " by Aussie singer James Reyne . It's about heroin addiction , and it brought me to tears because of my dearest friend , who was killed in a car accident last night . He helped me get off narcotics , and turn my life around , when no one else wanted to know me . My eyes are running now , and i just wish i could go with him , and protect him from further suffering if there is such a thing , but i know that is wrong , so i guess i'll just stay , and stand silent guard over his widow and kids . Fuck i hate this world right now .
I am so sorry for your loss.

twoton

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No. 2, the second movement starts around the 11:40 mark.
If you're familiar with pop music, soft rock, you'll recognize it.

And under no circumstances should you listen to Chopin's Funeral March if you're in a sad or depressed mood. You can listen to this on a bright, beautiful sunny day and suddenly it will get very cold, as if all the happiness is gone from the world. It's been cliched in cartoons forever, but when you listen to the real thing your heart will sink like a lead weight.

insert_8

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I've always been fascinated by how music affects the brain - I've seen amazing and beautiful footage of what it can to seniors with dementia/alzheimers.
Several years ago, my wife helped a neighbor care for her mother who had alzheimers. She was in a nursing home, couldn't speak coherently, and had a reputation for being uncooperative. But when my wife sang church music and old hymns, the lady not only became agreeable and cooperative, but sang along!

willow78

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Cyndi Lauper "Time After Time"

Always been a huge Cyndi fan, but never cried at this song until a couple months ago when the video came on TV. At the 2:10 mark she gives her 'video mother' a hug which started my eyes watering.

But before I could regain myself, she then hit me with this doozy:

After my picture fades and darkness has turned to grey,
watching through windows, you're wondering if I'm okay...

I lost it after that.

Reactions: MickeyLee and lms28

willow78

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Around 2000/2001 I was feeling emotional about something. I can't remember what it was - it might have been fear, grief, sadness, guilt...it might even have been nothing at all. I sometimes have long bouts of misery for no obvious reason. Whatever it was (or wasn't), I had these 3 songs on repeat:

Tori Amos "Hey Jupiter"

Kate Bush "You're The One"

Kirsty MacColl "Tomorrow Never Comes"

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual

I’m pretty sure watching it will evoke emotion in a chunk of concrete.
I am proud to have known Eric.
I still have a catch in my breath when I hear his songs.

When I hear anyone whistle loudly, I still expect to see him there, ready to complain (jokingly) about the green room food. Which I provided from my kitchen.

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
I've mentioned being an atheist many times here... But I rarely mention that I really do understand faith. I don't have it, but seeing it, Feeling it in other people gets me right in the blood pumper.
That's some good shit right there.