The Starbucks Supremacy

What's your opinion about Starbuck's names for the size of their coffees?

• The venti, grande, tall options tend to confuses me.

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • The venti, grande, and tall options irritate me as being too pretentious.

Votes: 28 51.9%
  • Asking for a venti or grand makes me feel "continental!"

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • It's a non issue for me.

Votes: 28 51.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

B_stanmarsh14

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
The odd few times I have used Starbucks (90% of the time, I either use a small cafe, or go to AMT Expresso, for my fave, Cafe Maya), it annoys the fuck out of me with the way the staff are so pretencious, and act a pain in the arse when you ask for small / medium / large, as if they don't have a sodding clue.

I don't get any of that crap at AMT, and the staff there are always polite (They tend to mostaly be from Poland, and they are fantastic to get on with).

Found out AMT are opening up in a few places in Europe now too: AMT Coffee Bars in UK and Europe | Fairtrade and Organic Coffee and Milk

Hoss

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
They have a really ugly shade of green in their logo and their coffee just isn't that great. I went in 1 time, that was 1 time too many.

The Dragon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Food brands that failed Share Your Recipes on Yahoo!7 Lifestyle

Here is a small list of American Franchise failures here in Aussie.

As you can see, Starbucks is on the list.
We already had a "good" coffee culture here in Australia due to the high proportion of European immigrants in our population.
They were entering into an educated market place and their coffee just didn't cut it and it was over priced and so they just didn't get the patronage.

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
In the USA at least, you can order a "short", which is not shown on the menu. It used to be on the menu, and it's definitely the "small".

On the occasions I'm at a Starbucks, I order it more often than not.

Don't know about most folks, but one of the small things in life that irks me is being forced to ask for a venti, grande, or tall when ordering coffee at Starbucks. I usually cause trouble by asking, "Which one is a small?"

Buenos Aires is now the home of at least 5 Starbucks and the uniqueness has yet to wear off. However, the sizes of their drinks are clearly advertised next to the cashier as "small", "medium", and "large." None of the venti or grande crap they force 'Mericuhns and Canadians to suffer. Of course, it's a bit of a strain on the people of Buenos Aires, the majority of whom do not speak English. But finally! Drink sizes I can easily understand.

Oh, and the WiFi is free. Free! Most cafes offer free Wifi so the idea of charging for WiFi service would definitely keep most folks away down her in "the Paris of the South."

What do you think of Starbucks' names for the size of their coffees?

Vote early and often.

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
Starbucks coffee tastes "burnt" to me, even with cream and sweetener, so I don't frequent the cafe.

Yeah I notice this too, their coffee tastes like shit. I haven't been in a Starbucks in years but occassionally a friend will offer me a sip of theirs and it's always burnt no matter which branch IN THE WORLD they got it from. VOM.

Small, Medium and Large dont even make sense to me anyway. I order a double espresso macchiato wherever I go and they better have it or I'm walking straight back out the door.

D

deleted15807

I drink tea but the desserts at Starbucks are sinfully tempting in a pinch.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I'll occasionally buy beans or a package of ground Starbucks' beans when on sale in a grocery store, especially Sumatra beans or the even rarer Java beans. But it's true. Their coffee is burnt (burned) tasting. Anyplace that whips up a batch of coffee and keeps it sitting around in supposedly "airtight" containers to retain the heat is always going to have an inferior product. But it's just as easy to buy the same type of beans at most grocery stores in the USA that aren't overpriced like Starbucks.

When I'm at the ranch and have to make a run to Elko or Twin Falls, I'll buy a pound of coffee at Albertsons, Smiths, Kroger, or Raleys, grind it at the grocery store, and then cold process it that evening. It's the only way I know of having a cup of coffee that tastes the way fresh coffee smells. The "Inca Brewing Carafe" is a big pyrex carafe that holds a pound of freshly ground coffee and 1.5 litres of cold water. There is a hole in the bottom of the carafe that has a special, reusable micro filter and rubber stopper that fits in it. You let the coffee and purified water sit overnight and then drain into another pyrex container with a shot measure that fits on top. You end up with a coffee liquor that tastes best that day. But it's possible to freeze it into cubes and pop a cube of coffee liquor into a cup of purified water and heat for 35 to 40 seconds in the microwave. Never used boiling water. Still tastes amazingly clean and just like good coffee smells as it's being brewed or hot filtered. The only problem is the expense of finding and buying new mircro filters. They can only be cleaned so many times before they, too, become stale.

By the way, I loved the ranking of 10 US-style businesses that failed in Oz.

However, I wouldn't know a macchiato if you poured it over my head. Nor would most baristas in South America. But you can always order un doble cappucino con leche - and specify if you want a gotita de leche o un poco más. And instead of creating a design in the froth, the have various stencils they put over the foam and sprinkle freshly ground canela (cinnamon). Interestingly, cinnamon first thing in the morning with your coffee works as seriously strong natural appetite suppressant.

Last edited:

willow78

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Good news is they wont be taking over in Australia. I don't know anybody here who likes their coffee

Good news indeed! And Krispy-Kreme failed as well. Did they honestly think we didn't have coffee and doughnuts already? Sheesh!

curioustitan

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Yeah I notice this too, their coffee tastes like shit. I haven't been in a Starbucks in years but occassionally a friend will offer me a sip of theirs and it's always burnt no matter which branch IN THE WORLD they got it from. VOM.

Small, Medium and Large dont even make sense to me anyway. I order a double espresso macchiato wherever I go and they better have it or I'm walking straight back out the door.

Ooooohhhhh!!!! Bitchy.
I can see it now....you giving your best 'can't touch this', 'Janice Dickinson', 'hips sashaying', imperious walk, outta there... a casual jiggle of your 'lil toosh as you round the corner in a fit of disgust. :biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

Hmmm, where's that rump steak now, i'm suddenly hungry.:wink:

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
Ooooohhhhh!!!! Bitchy.
I can see it now....you giving your best 'can't touch this', 'Janice Dickinson', 'hips sashaying', imperious walk, outta there... a casual jiggle of your 'lil toosh as you round the corner in a fit of disgust. :biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

Hmmm, where's that rump steak now, i'm suddenly hungry.:wink:

When you think of me is this- YouTube - Morgan McMichaels as Shocantell Brown @ Showgirls! what you think of? :frown1::eek::eek::biggrin1::tongue::wink:

I hope not....

Hoss

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Good news indeed! And Krispy-Kreme failed as well. Did they honestly think we didn't have coffee and doughnuts already? Sheesh!
Ugh! Krispy Kreme is another 1 that I can't understand being so popular. They seem stale on the outside.