Vegetarians: a question

spoon

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
what would be the ingredients if created in a lab? i am a healthy eater-altho, i tend to overdo. i read ingredients. so, if there is gelatin in something (for example) i'm not eating it.

bobg4400

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
what would be the ingredients if created in a lab? i am a healthy eater-altho, i tend to overdo. i read ingredients. so, if there is gelatin in something (for example) i'm not eating it.

It would contain all kinda of arcane chemicals like Deoxyribonucleic Acid, Dihydrogen monoxide and maybe even myosin and actin!

D_Bubba_Butter

Account Disabled
Media
No. animal flesh is animal flesh.

Ah, but that's the point... It wouldn't be animal flesh - it would essentially be a muscle cell culture on a synthetic scaffold to provide structure. No animals would die in the process. And the cultures would be self-perpetuating... :rolleyes:

Also, we're designed to eat meat, nuts & fruit. What we're not designed to eat is cereals.

bobg4400

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
:puke: :puke: :puke: ick-----nope is the answer!

Are you being serious?
I mentioned DNA (present in all your food unless you eat inanimate objects like rocks), WATER and two of the proteins that make up muscle cells which are in all meat you eat and your own body in millions of cells.

D_Bubba_Butter

Account Disabled
Media
Are you being serious?
I mentioned DNA (present in all your food unless you eat inanimate objects like rocks), WATER and two of the proteins that make up muscle cells which are in all meat you eat and your own body in millions of cells.

Actin & myosin are also in all plants...

Cruel, but funny! :biggrin1:

spoon

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
what's gross: ******Swine Parts Used For Human Body. At the moment, heart valves from pigs are routine. Pigs are currently the favored animal because their metabolism is similar to that of humans. Pig skin has long been used as a skin graft option on human recipients.********

<<<<<Xenotransplantation is the transplantation of living cells, tissues or organs from one species to another.>>>>>>>>>>>>

I recently had dental work done. Went to Harvard Dental School. Work was done on my gums. The dentist said there was a few ways to approach the gum work. One of the ways was a synthetic material. I asked if there was animal used to get the synthetic material. Didn't get an answer. I refused.

Hoss

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Ah, but that's the point... It wouldn't be animal flesh - it would essentially be a muscle cell culture on a synthetic scaffold to provide structure. No animals would die in the process. And the cultures would be self-perpetuating... :rolleyes:

Also, we're designed to eat meat, nuts & fruit. What we're not designed to eat is cereals.

Where did this muscle cell culture come from? If it came from an animal then it is against vegetarianism and a vegan definitely could not eat it. A strict strict vegan doesn't eat eggs or cheese or dairy product either since they come from an animal.

People are designed to eat nuts, fruit, vegetables and other nourish items such as grains which grow from the ground. Meats are merely extras, but are not required to live.

And now for all vegetarians, a reminder.....you have eaten meat many times, just didn't know it. when the buffalo dies or the rabbit or any other animal out in the wilderness, if the hawks and vultures don't swoop in and eat it, it decays, becomes part of the ground and the soil and the rain washes remnants towards the river and that water is taken and used to water the farms and orchards.......yes, buffalo is in that apple or orange or handful of cashews you are eating.:biggrin1: Probably even people.:eek:

spoon

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Are you being serious?

Yes, DNA in everything and everything is alive. So, it's the choices of what each person wants to eat.

spoon

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Where did this muscle cell culture come from? If it came from an animal then it is against vegetarianism and a vegan definitely could not eat it. A strict strict vegan doesn't eat eggs or cheese or dairy product either since they come from an animal.

People are designed to eat nuts, fruit, vegetables and other nourish items such as grains which grow from the ground. Meats are merely extras, but are not required to live.

And now for all vegetarians, a reminder.....you have eaten meat many times, just didn't know it. when the buffalo dies or the rabbit or any other animal out in the wilderness, if the hawks and vultures don't swoop in and eat it, it decays, becomes part of the ground and the soil and the rain washes remnants towards the river and that water is taken and used to water the farms and orchards.......yes, buffalo is in that apple or orange or handful of cashews you are eating.:biggrin1: Probably even people.:eek:

cats in the wild get their "vegis and grains, and vitamins" from what's in the digestion of animal their eating.

bobg4400

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay

The cell culture could come froma single stem cell removed fomr an animal without killing it.
If you want it to be really expensive you could synthesise DNA then remove the DNA forma bacterial cell and inject the Synthetic DNA which causes the cell to essentially become a muscle stem cell. Then rpoduce the meat culture and voila, no animals were used in the process.

Oh and people aren't 'designed' to do anything, however we evolved to eat meat for most of our evolutionary history. Only recenlty in the last 10000 years or so since we invented farming have we begun to evolve to help us digest other stuff. That's why so many people are lactose intolerant, because they don't have the genes that allow them to digest lactose as there has been enough time for it to spread to the whole polulation. Fast forward another 10000-20000 years and nobody would be lactose intolerant anymore.

bobg4400

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
cats in the wild get their "vegis and grains, and vitamins" from what's in the digestion of animal their eating.

You mea the cat's digest the animal's flesh to get their 'vitamins'? Cos that's what happens.

Hoss

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
The cell culture could come froma single stem cell removed fomr an animal without killing it.

Still comes from an animal directly at the start. Some vegetarians might eat the byproduct, a strict vegan would not.

D_Bubba_Butter

Account Disabled
Media
Where did this muscle cell culture come from? If it came from an animal then it is against vegetarianism* and a vegan definitely could not eat it. A strict strict vegan doesn't eat eggs or cheese or dairy product either since they come from an animal.

*not true. Depends on an individual's reasons for vegetarianism.

People are designed to eat nuts, fruit, vegetables and other nourish items such as grains^ which grow from the ground. Meats are merely extras, but are not required to live.

^I'm afraid this is not true. Man is not evolutionarily designed to eat cereal crops, which are a relatively recent addition to the diet. Sorry creationists.

The last point, about the carbon & nitrogen cycles - well made. :smile:

Hoss

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Oh and people aren't 'designed' to do anything, however we evolved to eat meat for most of our evolutionary history. Only recenlty in the last 10000 years or so since we invented farming have we begun to evolve to help us digest other stuff. That's why so many people are lactose intolerant, because they don't have the genes that allow them to digest lactose as there has been enough time for it to spread to the whole polulation. Fast forward another 10000-20000 years and nobody would be lactose intolerant anymore.
I used the word designed in response to Zyz.

The remainder of response to that was to indicate that animal eating was not a natural part of the human digestive at the beginning. although humans are omnivores, humans have turned eating meat into a freakish spectacle at times.....Contests to eat 20 pounds of steak are but 1 example.

No telling if the lactose intolerance will ever completely end or if it will become something else. The excessive use of wheat has grown into people having gluten issues. Some can't have even a trace of it now, whereas 30 years ago they could have. But with it in everything, including some corn chips, some candy, most processed cereals, most breads, it has become deadly.

Peanut allergies have skyrocketed, started increasing as peanuts and peanut butter became an affordable item to hand to a child for a sandwich. Peanut butter on an all natural Whole wheat bread......looking for all sorts of disaster.

aninnymouse

Cherished Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
People, all living things, in fact, are fueled by various amino acids and proteins, vitamins and minerals, etc. Historically, the easiest way to get the proper mix of said amino acids, proteins, vitamins, and minerals, is by having a round, balanced diet.

That includes meats as sources of proteins and other amino acids, as well as the bit of fat one needs to keep going, vegetables as a source of fiber, vitamins and certain minerals, and some sort of grains and sugars as a source of carbohydrates.

Humans are designed as omnivores, meaning to eat anything and everything. Including meats. Granted, the amount of meat one needs is debatable, especially if one is getting proteins and such from other sources, like beans and legumes. However, most people are used to getting proteins and such from animal sources.

Nowadays, with soy proteins, and the popularity of legumes and beans, It's not so much a problem. I'd be willing to bet that there's just as much protein in a pot of beans as there is in a big juicy steak. So, vegetarianism is mainly a lifestyle choice for either ethical reasons or health reasons.

What I don't understand is veganism. Meaning NO animal products whatsoever. I know people who are strict vegans, and many of them do not look healthy. I've also heard that many vegans are malnourished, simply because they don't get enough proper proteins in their diet.

Personally, I like my meat.