Volcanic Ash

No flights in or out of the UK - all UK airspace has been closed.

Apparently, the small particles of rock/glass in the atmosphere due to the eruption, are dangerous for plane engines.

B_crackoff

Experimental Member
Media
We should get a startling sunset tonight.

Pity, it's such a sunny day.

Icelandics eh? First they won't pay back the money they owe to the UK, then they blow their shit at us! Lol.

Sergeant_Torpedo

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Makes one wonder what the authorities would do if a real disaster happened. This recent volcanic activity from Tuesday will affect our climate for months, if not longer.

Jason

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
The present chaos is causing real costs for people, precisely the sort of costs people would like to have an insurance policy to cover. Is it possible to get travel insurance that specifically includes cover for acts of God? How much more expensive is it?

Alexander the 8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The ash is currently falling in Scotland, 11:00pm UK time. We are in the North of Scotland and there is a fine dust covering on cars etc, with bigger fragments also being picked up. News reports are warning that if you are outside and start to have a streaming nose and your eyes begin to sting that you must return in doors immediately.

D_Tully Tunnelrat

Experimental Member
Media
Word is that is that not only Turner, but the entire Hudson River School, as well as even Edward Munch's The Scream were influenced by the "blood red" sunsets produced by the explosion of Krakatoa in the 1880's. Mary Shelley's Frankenstein was allegedly written during the dreary non summer that followed the eruption.

The sonic blast from that explosion was felt in Perth, as well as Mauritis 5K miles away (and circled the globe 7X), and was estimated to be 13X stronger than Hiroshima. Winters were colder for the next five years, as the earth cooled by 1ºC. Perhaps this will create a short term pause in global warming...

Although this blast was no where near as large, do be careful, as ZOG says, the sulfuric ash can burn your lungs. Poor travelers, they maybe stuck for up to a week because of this.

got_lost

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I was supposed to fly home today but the flight was cancelled.
I have a confirmed seat on a flight next Thursday (the soonest they could give me), that's 6 days away, IF the crisis is over....

There's going to be a lot of displaced people!

But I'd rather be stuck on holiday than stuck at home watching my holiday tick away in front of me!

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I was supposed to fly home today but the flight was cancelled.
I have a confirmed seat on a flight next Thursday (the soonest they could give me), that's 6 days away, IF the crisis is over....

There's going to be a lot of displaced people!

But I'd rather be stuck on holiday than stuck at home watching my holiday tick away in front of me!

If you are in a pinch, fly to NY, mi casa es su casa. And if you are stranded until September I have room in my little grass shack in Hawaii!