1. collegerunner21

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I'm currently 172 lbs. My weight goal is 150 and to have a flat chest/stomach. I've been walking/running 3 days/week, about an hour each, for about 4 weeks now. I have also been doing about 5 sets of 10 crunches and 2.5 sets of 10 push ups per day. I am also using the myfitnesspal app to count my calories.

I'm just feeling a bit discouraged right now because i've only seen about 2 lbs lost in 4 weeks. I was not active at all before I started so I was hoping to see a little more weight loss in the beginning.

I guess what I'm looking for is:

- Feedback
    - How long (guess) will it take before I'll be around 150 lbs and have a flat chest/stomach
    - Better exercise suggestions
    - Weight loss supplement suggestions (pills, shakes, etc.)

I really appreciate anything anyone can help me with. I also apologize if this is posted in the wrong section.

Thanks

2. someperson

Gold Member

Albums:
    what are you eatting?

3. nudeyorker

Gold Member

How tall are you?

4. collegerunner21

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I've really gotten into Subway (flatbread, no mayo/ranch/etc.) and Panera Bread sanwhiches and salad. Otherwise I make cold cut sandwhiches with honey wheat bread, chicken pot pie, salads. I've been pretty good with staying away from sweets.

5. collegerunner21

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    5'10"

6. D_Alec_Baldtwins

D_Alec_Baldtwins Account Disabled

First of all, understand that safe and sustainable weight loss is a slow process, so right off the bat, don't despair too much. Having said that, your progress is very slow indeed, so lets look at this a little bit.

The reason most people fail at weight loss is that they underestimate how much they're eating, and overestimate the caloric value of the exercise they're doing. That's documented fact. The first thing I would encourage you to do is find an online calculator that tells you about how many calories a day you should be eating, based upon your lifestyle, gender, age, height, and weight. If you do nothing more than cut 500 calories a day out of your allowable daily intake, you can expect to lose about a pound a week (a pound of fat is about 3500 calories). That's with no exercise.

This is only the latest study to show that where diet and weight loss are concerned, what really counts is cutting calories; it doesn't matter what kind (i.e. protein/carbs/fat): http://health.yahoo.net/news/s/nm/ca...ome-from-study. Obviously, you want to stay away from junk food, processed foods, bad fats, simple carbohydrates, and too much salt for other health reasons, but a responsible, balanced diet of whatever kind that fits your lifestyle will get you where you're going. It is VERY important that you be reasonably accurate and honest with yourself about how much you're really eating. It's a pain in the ass, but if you keep your diet fairly simple, you quickly get a sense for portions and caloric value.

Straight up, despite what people may tell you, exercise is a shitty way to lose weight, because you have to do a LOT of it to get much result. To make my point - I'm about your height and weight - 5'-11" and 180 lbs. I ran a marathon this past weekend, and the total calorie burn for that 26.2 mile race was about 3800 calories. That's just over a pound of fat. Are you ready to go out and run 22 marathons in the next couple of months? Probably not. So as I said before, slow and steady is the way.

Again, find an online calculator that tells you what the calorie burn is for someone of your weight doing an exercise AT A SPECIFIC INTENSITY for a particular period of time. A ballpark estimate is about 400 calories per HALF hour running at a pace of 6 miles per hour. Not very much, is it? But if you do a half-hour of running day on top of the 500 calories you're cutting from your diet, that adds up to 900 calories a day, and about a pound of weight loss every 4 days. It's that easy. And that difficult.

Strength training will help tone your body, and will help burn calories as well. Indeed, increasing the amount of muscle in your body will slightly increase your basal metabolic rate. A good exercise plan would be 3-4 days a week of aerobic exercise (such as running), 2-3 days a week of strength training, and 1 day a week of rest. Shoot for an hour a day of exercise, if you can make the time. If your time is limited, focus on the aerobic exercise for now.

Supplements are a waste of your money - forget them. They're not needed if you're eating a balanced diet. I'm not going to get into recipes and meal plans here - there's plenty of information about that on the Internet if you need it. If shakes fit into your lifestyle, by all means use them, but there's nothing magic about them.

Likewise, I'm not going to get into specific training plans. If you can't sustain a running pace of 6 miles per hour for 30-60 minutes at a time, there are plenty of training plans on the Internet that can teach you how, though a quick way is to run at that pace for 1 minute, and then walk for 1 minute, and gradually increase the number of minutes you run until you take a 1 minute rest walk. Your aerobic exercise needs to have a certain level of intensity though to be of much value, both for calorie burn and for cardiac benefit. The "20 minutes of gentle exercise 3 times a week" that's all over the news is a bunch of bullshit. It might help to stave off a heart attack, but it will not get you where you're going.

ETA: I should add that in January, 2000, I weighed 260 lbs, and decided I wasn't going to be fat anymore. I made a number of important lifestyle changes to get down to 180 pounds and level of fitness that I'm at today, and that included using the exact information I'm passing on to you in this post. There is no magic - just a lot of hard work and commitment. If you want it badly enough, you can do it. Good luck!

#6 D_Alec_Baldtwins, Feb 6, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  7. collegerunner21

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    wow, lots of information.. Thank you!

The "myfitnesspal" app counts the calories in the food I eat as I add them. I put in my current weight, age, and my goal weight, and it gives me a reduced allowance of calories per day to eat based on that. It has me at 1240 calories/day. When I exercise, I put in the calories I burned and it adds those into my allowance. Should I be following that or just stick to 1240 calories/day no matter how many calories I burn?

I also use the "run10k" app which does exactly the "1 min run, 1 min walk, increasing" route. So far its been going good.. just frustrating not seeing any results.

8. sargon20

Gold Member

I would drop all servings of bread except maybe once a week.

And

The Fat Trap

9. D_Alec_Baldtwins

D_Alec_Baldtwins Account Disabled

That's up to you. If you DO add them in, any weight loss you experience will simply be due to the overall calorie reduction in your diet (the difference between your allowable daily calories, and what the app is subtracting for weight loss, not including exercise). If it were me, I would NOT add those exercise calories into my allowance, and instead enjoy the benefit of the faster weight loss, unless you really get crazy with the exercise, or you just get insanely hungry and you need more calories, in which case, you could allow yourself a little more food. I'm not sure how accurate that app is from the standpoint of calculating the number of calories you're actually eating, but I'd say that the allowable number of calories per day that it's giving you seems pretty close to what it should be, based upon your height and weight.

#9 D_Alec_Baldtwins, Feb 6, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  10. bothhands

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Bro i know you want the weight to come off fast, but taking it off slow is the right way to do it. most the time weight that comes off slow will stay off. keep working out and watching calories, it will happen. Best of Luck!!!!

11. ggsitc

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    The biggest "secret" to weight loss and fitness success, IMHO, is the lifestyle change necessary to maintain your gains. A friend once remarked that "all diets work," and in large part they do. Where people fail is after they shed the weight on the diet they go back to their unhealthy habits that made them fat in the first place and makes them fat again. The key to maintaining the weight loss you're after is to adjust your lifestyle for better nutrition and fitness, and adjust it to a routine that you can work and live with long term.

Good luck ... lots of great advice so far in this thread.

12. bothhands

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    well said bro

13. redneckgymrat

Gold Member

Here's a thought.

You say that you're inactive, and that your first 4 weeks showed only a 2 pound loss.

Muscle weighs a lot more than fat, and especially at the beginning of a workout routine, you're increasing your muscle mass significantly. My suspicion is that your early weight loss is being masked by your muscle gain.

Have your proportions changed? Waist smaller, biceps bigger, etc? If so, you're making significant progress, despite the weight. Congratulations!

14. hairyversmuscle

hairyversmuscle Well-Known Member

Albums:
    You are fine for your height. 150 would likely be too thin. Everyone's build is different.

Plain and simple, you lose weight if you are in calorie deficit, meaning, you burn more calories than you take in.

Crunches help but you aren't doing enough to make a difference. The secret to a flat stomach is not about crunches, it is about burning the layer of fat that covers the abs.

I am a professional endurance athlete coach, focusing on Ironman Triathlons, let me know if you want more professional advice and I can guide you to my website.

15. someperson

Gold Member

Albums:
    Lots of bike riding even though I'm little over 210-215 right now. Same height as you . I have gotten down to 170 Pounds. I do not find weight relevant anymore. I find jean/pants size more important now..

I used to wear a 42 jeans and 46 pants size little about 230 at the time.

Now I'm 32 jeans and 36 pants took a little over 3 years of work to get it done though.

16. Longfun

Longfun New Member

You are probably replacing some of the fat with muscle due to the change in activity level. Muscle weighs 2 1/2 times more than fat so you may actually see a weight gain at first, but as the muscles develop, the fat will depart. 170 is a great weight for someone 5'10"... who is active and strong.

17. D_Luke_DickStalker

D_Luke_DickStalker New Member

150 seems kinda low for 5'10" unless you want to be really lean. I am 150 at 5'8".

18. rayray

rayray Active Member

Without any quotes there were alot of good advice..I agree with cutting all or nearly all processed foods. I will say that some wait training may cut inches and change the way your body looks but muscle weighs more then fat..Now i risk criticism but 8 years ago at age 44 or 45 i went from about 183 to 217 pounds due to illness and alot of down time. i am only 5'8" and decided to go with the low carb diet. i did it for 5 weeks and lost 27 pounds.And people will say that it is a high fat diet and is not good for you but it worked for me and i have kept the weight off. I ate lean proteins like fish, chicken, and sometimes lean ground chuck or sirloin. I also made alot of eggs made a variety different ways. if you don't want the yoke they sell egg whites at the grocery. I would fill it with a variety of low carb veggies and sometimes cheese. I also would make a meal out of salads. Again i would throw on it veggies some of the slow burning fruit carbs and a low carb dressings, look at the labels. I usually could find dressings that that only had 2 or 3 grams of carbs per serving (2 Tbsps).You can google carbs in vegetables. I satisfied my hungry and did not feel deprived..I did cut breads and such but this worked for me.But during the diet i also learned how to be aware of the portions of mash potato's and breads i ate after i stopped dieting..ie..instead of a heap of mash potato's i would eat double my portions of vegetables. On this diet i did not count calories, i counted carbs and tried to limit myself to know more then 30 grams of carbs per day. the only person i know that lost a massive amount of weight eating Subway was Jarrod and if my memory serves me right that's all he ate 3 sandwiches a day minus the condiments accept for mustard.One more thing is was if i noticed i put on 5 or 6 pounds i would just cut back on my carbs a little and that has worked for me. Now that it has been about 8 years since i did the diet i am now weigh a pretty consistant 165 to 170 pounds...Good luck..

19. D_Sandy_Krautch

D_Sandy_Krautch New Member

She hit the nail on the head. Period. I dropped 50 lbs in abouuuut 4 months simply by restricting my calories and increasing the frequency of my meals. Every three hours. Religiously. That actually makes a difference for me (doesn't for everyone). I ate like shit. I just ate a lot less shit. I have since gotten VERY into fitness as well, but in all honesty... my weight dropped more quickly when I just cut calories. I put on muscle really well so it's a constant battle between fat loss and muscle gain that looks like slow weight loss. Anyway. All in all, I lost about 110 pounds of fat in 11 months. I say, listen to the lady :)

20. aninnymouse

Gold Member

Two words:

Portion Control. I know it's more convenient, but all of those Subway sandwiches are just as bad for you as cheesburgers from McDonalds. The portions are way huge.

How big are your portions? Smaller is better, always. Also, one thing that's paramount, is that as you age, your body burns less calories. That's where you need less to maintain a weight. That's why many people gain as they get older.

Draft saved Draft deleted