What's good about George W. Bush?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_Al_K_Celtzah, Sep 15, 2007.

1. HazelGod

HazelGod Well-Known Member

Albums:
    This is an illustration of what many cannot stand about others...it simply reeks of being patronizing. You're beginning not from a neutral baseline, but from a premise that is either blithely ignorant or willfully stupid.

Your observation that I marked in bold is not a given...in fact, it's probably one of the most arguable points in the administration's policies. Like many others here, I would contend that W's "war on terror" has caused far more harm to our society than its supposed benefits, but that's not the crux of your OP.

However, in the interest of understanding your position, I'd like to hear your own reasons for believing in your statement as you do.

2. Osiris

Osiris Well-Known Member

The two things that ring to mind off the top of my head are income tax reform and national healthcare. The main thing he took on was to combat the partisan politics that tends to block legislation getting passed. I need a good think because I know there are other things I recall in his platform, I just can't remember them now. I know that sounded daft, but I'm drawing a blank other than those three things.

3. D_Al_K_Celtzah

D_Al_K_Celtzah Account Disabled

I'll let your aggressive attitude in your reply pass because I know my sentence was dubious, but I can asure you that coming at me full throtle with offense isn't going to make your reasons any more worthy than any other, nor will I understand them better because of that. I'm not dumb or stupid, so calling me names won't help me understand your opinion better. Now that we've made that clear... :smile:

When I say "other than the war on terrorism, what has Bush done that was good for America", my point is that Bush's war on terrorism is usually the most used example in this kind of discussion and I DON'T want to hear any more about it. I want to know about other things he has done for the sake of America OTHER than his military decisions. Heck, I've said it in two previous posts already. I don't intend to say that his military decisions were good or bad. I simply don't care about that. It's a subject that has been beaten down to death and will never gain consensus.

I hope I cleared this doubt now. I thank you for wanting to understand my position... and you can lay down your guns now :fing02:

4. HazelGod

Albums:
    Are you simply referring to planks he paid lip service to in his campaign platforms, or are you actually asserting that his actions as president have effected improvements in these areas of our nation? If it's the former, then I'll heave a sigh of relief and quiesce...but if it's the latter, I'd like to see some examples provided to substantiate your belief.

Bush had nothing to do with this at all. That obstacle was lowered by the collective stupidity of the voters who put one party simultaneously in charge of both houses of congress and the presidency.

Looking upon this phenomenon with hindsight, most people tend to agree that it was not a good thing for the citizens of the USA.

5. HazelGod

Albums:
    Yes, the language in your OP was very ambiguous, and I misinterpreted its intent. It wasn't until I got to p2 and saw your further remarks that I realized this, but then the site went offline before I could correct my response accordingly. But I'm glad you can see how that line reads like an implicit assumption that the WoT has been a good thing, and I do appreciate the clarification of your position.

Sadly, I'm at a loss to positively contribute to the question from your OP...I've been pondering it all morning as I wait for the 'horns to take the field, yet I cannot call to mind any example of positive influence GWB has made as POTUS. Which is unusual for me, as I'm normally adept at playing devil's advocate for most any position.

6. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink Banned

Is this a trick question?

7. viking1

viking1 Well-Known Member

I don't know of much being good about G.W. Bush. Yet on the other hand, I don't of much good about the candidates who ran against him either. In my opinion there wasn't much good about Bill Clinton. For most of the time I have been old enough to vote, it's always been "vote for the lesser of the evils". We have had a very few good choices in my voting life time.

8. Osiris

Osiris Well-Known Member

Hopefully HazelGod you have grown to know me, by posts, a little better than that. The question was what were the overshadowed issues. I stated what the issues he wanted to work on were. If you ask me what changes he affected, I'd be hard pressed to answer as all I have really seen this administration do is either promote the war, do damage control over stupidity from his cabinet, or backpedal on some of the intel he was fed that later surfaced.

Remember, I'm trying to stay as impartial as possible here without getting into my own politics, however if you look at a few other posts of mine, you will see where my party affiliation lies. :wink: I just hope the lovely 36DD will forgive me my political transgressions. :biggrin1:

9. HazelGod

Albums:
    Heh...I was pretty sure I had a better read on you than that, Osiris. It's just that I was reading your points through the lens of the question posed in the OP and thought you might be laying out possible examples. Thank you for clarifying, though!

And with respect to the stated goal of this thread, let the waiting continue...

10. silvertriumph2

Gold Member Verified

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Boy, what a question! :laughing:

I've tried, honestly, but I can't think of anything, except that maybe he has given fodder to comedians!

11. D_Al_K_Celtzah

D_Al_K_Celtzah Account Disabled

Not at all :biggrin1:
    It's just me trying to look at things from the pro-Bush point of view. I'm sure people who support him have their reasons. All I'm trying to do is find out what those reasons are. And since I believe life in the USA is more than just War on Terror, I'd like to know what it's about.
    As I said before, I am not going to change my anti-Bush opinion, but I am willing to learn about the pro-Bush ones, without judging them.

Given the number of aggressive replies defending America in the "Why is the world so anti-American" thread, I was expecting some more pro-Bush opinions here, but I see they are not synonyms :smile:

12. Osiris

Osiris Well-Known Member

I really wish someone could find something because I think I'm so inundated with war, war, war, iraq, iraq, iraq, that I can't think of anything and I can't imagine in all this time he hasn't done one good thing other than give Leno and Letterman's writers a break.

13. Dave NoCal

Gold Member

Albums:
    He's spoiled the Bush "brand" and Jeb probably won't be President, which I hear was his parents' hope.

14. 36DD

Gold Member

Albums:
    It wouldn't matter if I could cite a long list, it would still fall on deaf ears here.

15. sargon20

Gold Member

How can you excuse the boss for his poor choices in hiring? His cabinet is just that HIS cabinet. He choose them. And his poor judgment in taking their advice? I don't think he even took their advice rather Cheney told them.

I'll lay it on the line. Bush is the worst president ever. Guilty of breathtaking crimes that Congress has chosen to let slide. Completely unaware of their constitutional duties to reign in another branch of government. Ever heard of checks and balances?

What Will History Say?
    The Worst US President Ever?

16. 36DD

Gold Member

Albums:
    Insulting people doesn't prove one's intelligence.

17. Principessa

Principessa Well-Known Member

That depends . . . does Halliburton have the contract the history books which will mention Bush?

OMG!?! :eek::eek::eek:Are you one of those people my daddy used to tell me scary stories about at bed time decades ago? Are you a Black Republican? :biggrin1:

:frown1:Sadly you are correct.:mad:

Amen!

Let's not forget No Child Left Behind. A federally mandated program for which no money was set aside or distributed to schools. Yet if schools don't meet the requirements for adequate yearly progress they can lose what federal funding they may already have. What many people don't realize is that NCLB is just his way of introducing education vouchers into mainstream America.

18. sargon20

Gold Member

Well certainly like no other administation in history this administration knows how to rewrite history. It's like Karl Rove read 1984 and thought 'I can make this work. We have something here'

As President Bush wages his war against terrorism and moves to create a huge homeland security apparatus, he appears to be borrowing heavily, if not ripping off ideas outright, from George Orwell. The work in question is "1984, " the prophetic novel about a government that controls the masses by spreading propaganda, cracking down on subversive thought and altering history to suit its needs. It was intended to be read as a warning about the evils of totalitarianism -- not a how-to manual.

Learning to love Big Brother / George W. Bush channels George Orwell

19. ActionBuddy

Gold Member

Albums:
    OMG! Hopefully, especially with the latest news from Alan Greenspan, that will never happen. That would just continue the nightmare...

20. new_n_curious

new_n_curious Well-Known Member

Albums:
    Good answer, We've got rid of Tony!

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice