White supremacist in complex

squeggie

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
You think printing up a piece of paper talking about what happened and warning people and passing it to each door on the complex will do anything? Or is that a bad idea?

rrk

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
You think printing up a piece of paper talking about what happened and warning people and passing it to each door on the complex will do anything? Or is that a bad idea?

What they are doing is wrong on so many levels. If your friend isn't ready to press charges and/or report the assault, there is only so much you can do at this point.

Document everything that has happened on paper. Include details(dates, times, what happened, etc.). Don't make it an emotional rant. Try to factual. Then possibly share that with the office and/or landlord.

Probably not a good idea to pass something like that around the complex. You don't want to make the situation worse unless you're prepared to move out fast. It could make life turn into one of constant fear and prompt them to react with violence. That's not fun.

If things get ugly, PM me if I can help.

Last edited:

Sklar

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Generally, there are provisions in your lease to break your lease/contract. The most obvious one is if you get a new job that's further away. Where I live that's usually 35 miles or more.

sklar

kepper

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight

I think it is a bad idea to post notice. It can potentially be used as evidence against you if this situation escalates beyond name calling and winds up in court. Unfortunately, as some people have pointed out, name calling alone doesn't necessarily constitute a crime, but in some cases it may.

Contact your local legal aid organization and they can advise you what steps to take and how the local courts and police generally act in these cases. In some locales this is pretty easy to handle, in other cases it can be more problematic, so seek the free advice from the local legal legal aid organization. I would contact the landlord (be sure you also do in writing) the next time something happens so there is a record of this issue, and continue to do so everytime it happens. Contact the police if there is any physical threat. And try to find a new place to live.

Good luck.

D_Ari_Hola

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I WOULD NOT advise calling the police harassment is not a crime and will not carry any jail time and more likely then none will just make the problem worse the only thing the cops can do is advise u to report it to the appartment managers or move they can only do something if the parties involved are making threats against your or your partners lives .....talk to the appartment managers and see if you can work something out with them ask to move to another apartment away from the involved parties or if you can break the lease early and move out

TheRob

Legendary Member
Media
So I need help. I am getting called names, like skittles for example. I need help, I talked to the security gaurd and he said call the cops for harassment but I dont want to involve the cops. Next time it happens i will have too. I have talked to the apartment office about it, but i doubt they will do anything.. Is there a way to break an apartment lease cause of this, what should I do. Anyone have similar stories.. They keep attacking my bf and I and i dont know what to do.. :(

can you define getting 'attacked' because being called skittles isn't really going to help you get out of a lease

arthur

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
You call the police. Regardless of whether at this point or not they have commited any crime exept childish bullying, which in itself is not a crime, you need a record of their behaviour if this excalates into a bigger situation. You might need to prove when the harrasment started.

In my opinion, do not arm yourself, do not take matters into your own hand, inform the law of what has happened and inform the perpetrators as well. Last time I checked we do not live in a Charles Bronson movie.

Pierced1953

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
There is no place for people like that, other then a ship out to sea. Make records with your landlord and police. If either don't stop it don't worry about your lease or protecting yourself's.

We don't need anymore white trash....Good Luck!

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
can you define getting 'attacked' because being called skittles isn't really going to help you get out of a lease
It might. My lease has a very vague term in it: peaceable enjoyment. Because my lease expressly prohibits me from "interfering with the peaceable enjoyment" of my neighbors in the rental community, there is an implied warrant that my landlord will defend my peaceable enjoyment of the community; if they do not, they are in breach. Always read your lease agreement carefully.

squeggie

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Thanks. I'm gonna go over my 20 page lease agreement today at work and see what I can do. Thank you guys for the support, it feels good to talk to people about the matter. People here are old fashion and think they have to take matters in there own hands. Im just gonna move out soon. Screw these apartments.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Don't forget, in order for your landlord to be in breach, you have to give them an opportunity to correct the problem. You need to get your proof in writing. Your landlord may be very happy to pursue you in court. You represent thousands of dollars to them.

TheRob

Legendary Member
Media
It might. My lease has a very vague term in it: peaceable enjoyment. Because my lease expressly prohibits me from "interfering with the peaceable enjoyment" of my neighbors in the rental community, there is an implied warrant that my landlord will defend my peaceable enjoyment of the community; if they do not, they are in breach. Always read your lease agreement carefully.

I guess it depends on the wording of the lease which of course none of us know except for the origional poster, but really my general point was that being called names isn't the same as a real attack

NightOwlGate

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I am getting called names, like skittles for example.
Calling someone a "bad name" is not a hate crime, and does not constitute harassment.

Verbal harassment cannot be considered a crime, no matter how hateful it is.

See: Phelps vs. Snyder.

If a proud American soldier can't get buried by his family in peace without signs saying "Semper Fag", you sure as hell aren't going to find legal recourse for being called "Skittles".

Grow up. This isn't North Korea.

squeggie

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
So it ends. The assholes got raided and arrested, I guess they were tweakers. No clue but glad there gone.. yay

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I hope you told the landlord and the landlord got rid of them by letting the police know they were committing illegal activities , not just harassment. Landlords do not like that one bit, if they aren't slumlords.

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
So I need help. I am getting called names, like skittles for example. I need help, I talked to the security gaurd and he said call the cops for harassment but I dont want to involve the cops. Next time it happens i will have too. I have talked to the apartment office about it, but i doubt they will do anything.. Is there a way to break an apartment lease cause of this, what should I do. Anyone have similar stories.. They keep attacking my bf and I and i dont know what to do.. :(
OK, filing a report with the police is a good start-ASAP! If you mean that they are physically attacking you & your BF, then that goes to assault.
As for the name calling, well, unfortunately there isn't much to be done about that, since technically it is words, unless its said with intent to cause you harm.