Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Swedes have great seats though the most comfortable seats I ever sat in were a Peugeot 505. Like buttah!

My Volvo was really comfortable and that car could absolutely fly.
I love Peugeots. I don't know why they stopped being sold in the US. One of my friends in Italy has the big sedan and he bought several small ones for use as company vehicles. They're great cars.

I do love my gas-guzzling V8 SUV, however. :biggrin1:

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
SPRAWL - That suburb and freeway dream utopia of the 50's has turned into a unsustainable nightmare replete with soul-less subdivisions, costly and excessive infrastructure, and traffic nightmares. Just think what our communities would be like if the billions of dollars invested for two cars per household in America went for things like pubic transportation, parks, schools, community centers, gyms. It is one reason why the richest country in the world does not have a quality of life and standard of living that we deserve.

Word.:biggrin1:

That subway pass now costs a lot more. Subway fares are now $2 a ride.

I have mass transit IF I want to go into New York, but I have to drive to get to the mass transit. Otherwise there is none. Anywhere I need to go I have to drive. One of the great problems of the northeast is that the roads were designed for horses yet now they're accommodating cars. Even now, nothing is being built in the village itself. Businesses are building along roads for people to drive yet the area can't handle the traffic.

I needed AWD to get up my driveway in snow and ice. My Saab wouldn't do it. Rather than an SUV, I opted for a Subaru and I'm very glad I did. It goes right up the driveway in any weather and is reasonably conservative on gas.
Still, I have to drive it everywhere. There are no sidewalks.

Jason-
Many parts of Ft Lauderdale don't have sidewalks either, and the infrastructure required for the car culture (eight to ten lane surface roads) is ugly and dangerous for the pedestrian much more than it's safe and convenient for the motorist. Those monster surface roads still get clogged with traffic most of the day.

The density in most of Ft Lauderdale is now approaching that of the inner suburbs of a typical 19th-century city, with semi-attached townhomes and apartment buildings replacing the familiar small one- and two-family houses. When those communities were being built, streetcars were the norm. When the streetcars were discontinued after WW2, those same family neighborhoods went rapidly downhill and turned into slums. Without the convenience of safe and efficient public transport, they were as out-of-the-way as the newly built suburbs with the added disadvantage of nowhere to park.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
How about a small, ugly SUV instead?

Small Things in Good Packages

By JERRY GARRETTTOKYO
IT was a gray morning, with rain falling from low-hanging clouds making the notorious Tokyo traffic even worse. Rows of idling vehicles were lined up three lanes deep, but I was able to pull into the clogged artery when I finally found a hole.
Fortunately, I was driving a Suzuki Wagon R, an easy fit in the claustrophobic world of Tokyo traffic.

The Wagon R has become a pint-size legend here. It is classified as a Kei car, which means it is limited in length, width, engine size and horsepower. The Wagon R itself is less than 14 feet long, less than 5 feet wide and about 6 feet high. Despite those dimensions, it is fairly roomy and comfortable even for a 6-foot-3 American.

The Wagon R is not only the best-selling of 58 models in the Kei (pronounced kay, short for keijidsha, meaning light automobile) category, Suzuki also boasts that it is Japan’s best-selling model of any type. Sometime next year, Suzuki expects to produce its three-millionth Wagon R.

“We are looking at a number of possibilities for the U.S. market,” Hiroshi Tsuda, the president of the Suzuki Motor Corporation, said of the Kei cars during an interview at the Tokyo Motor Show last month.

Would Americans take to the Wagon R the way the Japanese have? Well, did I mention the car’s fuel economy numbers? Your mileage may vary, but I averaged nearly 60 miles a gallon.

LeeEJ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

BigPuppy

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The density in most of Ft Lauderdale is now approaching that of the inner suburbs of a typical 19th-century city, with semi-attached townhomes and apartment buildings replacing the familiar small one- and two-family houses. When those communities were being built, streetcars were the norm. When the streetcars were discontinued after WW2, those same family neighborhoods went rapidly downhill and turned into slums. Without the convenience of safe and efficient public transport, they were as out-of-the-way as the newly built suburbs with the added disadvantage of nowhere to park.

Didn't some of the USA car manufacturers and oil companies join together to buy up streetcar companies just so they could close them down?

I seem to remember reading that they were prosecuted and fined a total of $10K!

Or am I confused with 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit'? :confused:

ruperty

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
how many guys say "it's manly" to have a big suv??? they've lost the plot! it takes a lot more, mentally, to be manly. what about all of the blond mums taking their kids to school every day in their land rover sport? is that manly? there's at least 4 in a 200 yard radius of my house that do this every morning, and the school is barely a mile away. mind you, they're keeping the british economy going the amount of petrol and tax they're paying for.

it's fun being in something big, powerful and fast, but it's just too damn stupid!

Sandarae8

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
It is a simple case of overcompensation in many cases (I am not saying all, just many, so don't shout out that so and so has one and they are hung, etc.) either for a teeny weenie or no weenie at all (just look at how many women have SUVs that they can barely climb into. A car is often a projection of masculinity, and when one is lacking they try to make up for it in other areas, at least from a freudian analysis this stands to be true...which does not account for everyone of course... it can also be a defensive manifestation of some other insecurity, such as frailty...and of course there are "iffy" practical reasons to have one, but most do not hold up under examination.

Ultimately, people buy what they like, and most people are not practical. There is a drought in the south, but people kept watering their lawns (getting too cold for it now) cause they gotta have that green green grass.
The reasons behind the purchases can only be analyzed to a certain extent, and with no real certainty, psychology is just a soft science after all.

I do know this, however many brush guards they put on, they most certainly do not take them offroading.

Seriously, I always ask people with SUVs how often they take them out to go offroading and they all look at me like I am insane.

I'd go offroading.

D_Sir Fitzwilly Wankheimer III

Experimental Member
Media
Not an SUV person but i do love trucks. Just picked up a 2008 Toyota Tundra with the 5.7 liter V8. 380 hp. Just had some flowmaster duals put on. it flys and sounds awesome. . Next week it gets real sound system Once you have a big truck you never go back.

They're big, comfortable, and have great visability.

Sandarae8

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I go off-roading anyway.

You'd be surprised what a volvo can do.

...I am tempted to rent an SUV and just take it off-roading, especially the Hummers, people seem to have forgotten their original purpose and they never leave the street.

I would like to remind them. Perhaps naked.

Stuff just seems to be more fun naked.
Well, maybe not cold weather sports...or fighting fires...or visiting the grandparents...
Hmmm, I think I need to reevaluate my naked opinion now

viking1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Not an SUV person but i do love trucks. Just picked up a 2008 Toyota Tundra with the 5.7 liter V8. 380 hp. Just had some flowmaster duals put on. it flys and sounds awesome. . Next week it gets real sound system Once you have a big truck you never go back.

They're big, comfortable, and have great visability.

Nice truck! How about some pictures?

:up::up::up::up:

NumberOne

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The other thing I really like about them is that they have just enough room in the cockpit for the driver and a like-minded companion. Nothing gets the juices flowing better than a 130mph blast down an empty freeway with a fellow adrenaline junkie for a co-pilot. Preferably a redhead. :wink:

amen to that :)

Willy_the_Wonka

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
For what it's worth, this is entry #46 from a book called 50 Things You're Not Supposed to Know. :rolleyes:

THE AUTO INDUSTRY SAYS THAT SUV DRIVERS ARE SELFISH AND INSECURE

People who tool around in hulking, big-ass sport utility vehicles have been getting dissed a lot lately, but no one has raked them over the coals like the people who sold them the SUVs in the first place. The multibillion-dollar auto industry does extensive research into its customers, and lately that research has focused quite a bit on the people who buy SUVs.

Investigative reporter Keith Bradsher of the New York Times has looked into the SUV phenomenon for years. He's read marketing reports meant only to be seen within the industry; he's interviewed marketing executives from the car companies and from outside research firms.

The industry has come to some unflattering conclusions about the people who buy its SUVs. As summarized by Bradsher:

They tend to be people who are insecure and vain. They are frequently nervous about their marriages and uncomfortable about parenthood. They often lack confidence in their driving skills. Above all, they are apt to be self-centered and self-absorbed, with little interest in their neighbors and communities....

They are more restless, more sybaritic, and less social than most Americans are. They tend to like fine restaurants a lot more than off-road driving, seldom go to church and have limited interest in doing volunteer work to help others.

David Bostwick, the director of market research at Chrysler, told Bradsher: "We have a basic resistance in our society to admitting that we are parents, and no longer able to go out and find another mate. If you have a sport utility, you can have the smoked windows, put the children in the back and pretend you're still single."

Bostwick says that compared to those who buy similarly large minivans, SUV drivers are selfish:
Sport utility people say, "I already have two kids, I don't need 20." Then we talk to the people who have minivans and they say, "I don't have two kids, I have 20 — all the kids in the neighborhood."

One of General Motors' top engineers also spoke of the difference between minivanners and SUVers: "SUV owners want to be more like, 'I'm in control of the people around me.'" He went on:

With the sport utility buyers, it's more of an image thing. Sport utility buyers tend to be more like, "I wonder how people view me," and are more willing to trade off flexibility or functionality to get that.

The executive VP for North American auto operations at Honda revealed: "The people who buy SUVs are in many cases buying the outside first and then the inside. They are buying the image of the SUV first, and then the functionality."

Jim Bulin, a former Ford strategist who started his own marketing firm, told Bradsher: "It's about not letting anything get in your way and, in the extreme, about intimidating others to get out of your way." Daniel A. Gorell, who also used to market for Ford and now has his own firm, says simply that SUV drivers are "less giving, less oriented toward others."
Defenders of SUVs have attacked Bradsher for reporting these things, but they always forget the crucial point: Bradsher isn't the one slamming SUV owners — it's the auto industry itself.

:rolleyes: ~ graveyard whistle ~

B_New End

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Same reason people love big gawdy diamonds and jewelry. To flaunt wealth, and to flaunt welath, is to flaunt the capacity to waste.

The other reason is, there are a lot of big ugly people that could never fit into slim sexy Nissan 350Z's

LeeEJ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The other reason is, there are a lot of big ugly people that could never fit into slim sexy Nissan 350Z's

I walked a big, ugly couple in a 350Z convertible at the dragstrip ("walked" as in I beat them at the launch and pulled away consistently all the way down the quarter mile).

I'm pretty convinced that it was because of all their excess weight, though, since my car's not that fast. Two large people + extra frame reinforcements on the convertible model = lots more weight for the Z's engine to pull.

It's quite feasible that those motor industry comments are 100% true, too. They do a LOT of market research, of course, so they know pretty well who's buying their stuff.