Women's Issues Random Thoughts

Cosmetic Dentistry's aggressive attempts to eliminate the central tooth gap (diastema)is depressing. Gaps make for a wonderful smile.

#savethegap
I LURVE it when someone's smile isn't quite perfect. Whatever it is that makes them unique is what makes me go bonkers. I think the reason that both Matthew McConaughey and Clive Owen make me want to shuck my panties is because their smile starts at one side of their mouth and spreads to the other. *shiver* There are 2 guys that I'm currently getting to know and I find them both CRAZY attractive... one has one slightly snaggle-tooth across an otherwise perfect chicklet smile, and the other has a slight gap on his pearly whites... not quite Michael Strahan gap, but close. Granted, their personalities are amazing, but when they smile, it takes some restraint not to pounce on them.
 
I LURVE it when someone's smile isn't quite perfect. Whatever it is that makes them unique is what makes me go bonkers.

I'm the same way (crazy fetishes: is there any kind of non sexual situations or videos you jerkoff to)

cosmetic dentists and plastic surgeons spend a lot of time and other people's money to give everyone the same nose and the same smile. It all reminds me of this Dr Seuss book

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It's disheartening that so many people try to remake the features that give their faces character :(
 
I've had crooked teeth my whole life. I've been told that I won't be hirable, I've been told I won't find someone to marry, I've been told there are health risks to having crooked teeth, I've heard it all my whole life. Yeah, I have a good job and someone who loves me, but hearing all that my whole life from everyone around me left a mental scar. It just did.

I fucking hate my smile. If I could have straight teeth you're damn right I'd have them, but braces didn't work. I wore my retainer, but my teeth still moved back a year after it was supposed to have been permanently fixed.

A gapped smile is stunning. My snaggletooth-ass smile, I don't care how much people try to tell me it's part of what makes me me. I don't like the way it looks. I bite myself all the time while eating, if I get punched/hit in the mouth my lips are getting shredded.

Sometimes having something you wish you could change about yourself is justified.
 
David Bowie’s teeth were hot. I love imperfect teeth.

I have crooked teeth. I hate them. When I was little, I asked the dentist if I should get braces, he said, “aw, you just want to be pretty!”. I was so humiliated, that I never brought up the topic again. I never wanted to be thought vain. But I have seriously misaligned teeth.

Now, I don’t hide my smile or anything, and people tell me they love my smile, but I still don’t like it. And because I didn’t get braces I’ve had dental problems my whole life. If I could go back and talk to that dentist, I’d tell him to fuck off. It wasn’t about being pretty, it was about chewing. Besides, what is wrong with having straight teeth?!
 
Sometimes having something you wish you could change about yourself is justified.

Absolutely. I haven't been motivated enough to do much about it, but I'd like to lose some weight. Some of that is for health (I think I'd have fewer back problems in particular and I'd have more energy if I wasn't carrying as much weight). Some of that is for vanity (my weight doesn't stop me from going to the pool, but I think my comfort level with it would be a bit higher if I was in better shape. I'm not there to pick up dates, but self-consciousness can nag).

I'm not suggesting there's something wrong with having things about yourself you want to change, I do get that.

It's more a disagreement with the vibe itself in US culture that there's some kind of relationship between teeth alignment and attractiveness. It's a very pronounced bias here in the USA, but one that doesn't exist to the same degree (if at all) in many other countries.

Like, I think that in general you will get judged by a lot of people in the USA if you have crooked teeth or a large nose, but I take issue with those prejudices and I think there's an element of closed mindedness to those kinds of biases in the same way that some people can't find themselves attracted to others of certain races or ethnicities and I take issue w/ the extent to which some of those people may harm the self esteem of others in the way they express those attitudes (like LaFemme's childhood dentist).
 
Last edited:
David Bowie’s teeth were hot. I love imperfect teeth.

I have crooked teeth. I hate them. When I was little, I asked the dentist if I should get braces, he said, “aw, you just want to be pretty!”. I was so humiliated, that I never brought up the topic again. I never wanted to be thought vain. But I have seriously misaligned teeth.

Now, I don’t hide my smile or anything, and people tell me they love my smile, but I still don’t like it. And because I didn’t get braces I’ve had dental problems my whole life. If I could go back and talk to that dentist, I’d tell him to fuck off. It wasn’t about being pretty, it was about chewing. Besides, what is wrong with having straight teeth?!
I've never liked my smile; it's why I seldom do (though I will smirk for a picture).

Most dentists (like doctors) are, to paraphrase Peter Steele, little more than meat mechanics. No interest in actually healing people, just profit, profit, profit. And those sweet kickbacks from the pharmaceutical companies for pushing certain drugs. I'm not surprised the dentist was condescending.
 
  • Like
Reactions: LaFemme
David Bowie’s teeth were hot. I love imperfect teeth.

I have crooked teeth. I hate them. When I was little, I asked the dentist if I should get braces, he said, “aw, you just want to be pretty!”. I was so humiliated, that I never brought up the topic again. I never wanted to be thought vain. But I have seriously misaligned teeth.

Now, I don’t hide my smile or anything, and people tell me they love my smile, but I still don’t like it. And because I didn’t get braces I’ve had dental problems my whole life. If I could go back and talk to that dentist, I’d tell him to fuck off. It wasn’t about being pretty, it was about chewing. Besides, what is wrong with having straight teeth?!

My parents were the ones telling me so often (along with other people, but mostly my parents) that my opportunities in life would be limited because of my crooked teeth, and that they made me less attractive. They told me that being attractive is important, because I'm female.

My parents are amazing, and did a wonderful job raising me... But every parent fucks something up. This was their big fuck up. It sticks with me, and I'll always hate my smile.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Toddcc987
My parents were the ones telling me so often (along with other people, but mostly my parents) that my opportunities in life would be limited because of my crooked teeth, and that they made me less attractive. They told me that being attractive is important, because I'm female.

My parents are amazing, and did a wonderful job raising me... But every parent fucks something up. This was their big fuck up. It sticks with me, and I'll always hate my smile.
Parents can do awful things. My dad always told me I was ugly, and his nickname for me was ‘Moose’ because I was so tall and skinny. I learned later, he just didn’t want me to get a big ego, so putting me down was his way of keeping me from thinking too much of myself. I was a ‘gifted’ child, with a genius IQ and he was thought he was doing me a favour by putting me down constantly. But it created super low self-esteem. I never thought I was good enough for anyone. Took me years to get comfortable with myself and stop trying to please everyone.
 
  • Like
Reactions: g0nz0 and Toddcc987
Parents can do awful things. My dad always told me I was ugly, and his nickname for me was ‘Moose’ because I was so tall and skinny. I learned later, he just didn’t want me to get a big ego, so putting me down was his way of keeping me from thinking too much of myself. I was a ‘gifted’ child, with a genius IQ and he was thought he was doing me a favour by putting me down constantly. But it created super low self-esteem. I never thought I was good enough for anyone. Took me years to get comfortable with myself and stop trying to please everyone.

My parents were the ones telling me so often (along with other people, but mostly my parents) that my opportunities in life would be limited because of my crooked teeth, and that they made me less attractive. They told me that being attractive is important, because I'm female.

My parents are amazing, and did a wonderful job raising me... But every parent fucks something up. This was their big fuck up. It sticks with me, and I'll always hate my smile.

oJJO8i4.gif


I'm really sorry, you two :( That's the kind of shit that only belongs in court ordered parental training videos as examples of shit parents shouldn't ever do to their kids.
 
oJJO8i4.gif


I'm really sorry, you two :( That's the kind of shit that only belongs in court ordered parental training videos as examples of shit parents shouldn't ever do to their kids.

I've talked about it with them and they do regret being the way they were about my teeth, but we all know that the damage is done.

I like me. I like the way I look. My teeth though? If I could just have a straight smile I'd be so much less insecure about smiling with my teeth exposed.
 
oJJO8i4.gif


I'm really sorry, you two :( That's the kind of shit that only belongs in court ordered parental training videos as examples of shit parents shouldn't ever do to their kids.
It’s definitely emotionally abusive. I made sure not to do the same things. I have four super secure adults now.
 
Cosmetic Dentistry's aggressive attempts to eliminate the central tooth gap (diastema)is depressing. Gaps make for a wonderful smile.

#savethegap
I tried really hard to find an orthodontist who would fix my overbite, which is actually damaging my jaw, without completely closing my gap. My dentist suggested I not wait any longer. My gap is closing. I did not find such a specialist. I even asked if they could not install a small spacer, so I could keep just a little of it. No dice. I'm not gonna know my own face. :pensive:
 
Could we ease off the dentistry/teeth topic a bit - I have an awkward extraction tomorrow and I know it is going to hurt. Have mercy on my tortured soul........
It won't hurt. Novacaine is a wonderful local, and the gas makes the noise less disturbing. (Pay for the gas. It's like $50 per half hour if your insurance doesn't cover it, and you only need half an hour.) Bring ibuprofen liquigels with you. Take them immediately after the bleeding stops. By the time the local wears off, you will be numbed by the ibuprofen. Make note of the time, and take the next dose on time. Be prepared with soft foods and room temperature water at home. You are going to be fine.
 
Parents can do awful things. My dad always told me I was ugly, and his nickname for me was ‘Moose’ because I was so tall and skinny. I learned later, he just didn’t want me to get a big ego, so putting me down was his way of keeping me from thinking too much of myself. I was a ‘gifted’ child, with a genius IQ and he was thought he was doing me a favour by putting me down constantly. But it created super low self-esteem. I never thought I was good enough for anyone. Took me years to get comfortable with myself and stop trying to please everyone.
OMG, sister... same. Same. SAAAAAAME... except it was my mom. I swam competitively since I was young and was single-digit body fat in my early teens, but had (correction- have) a big rib cage to go along with big lung capacity. I tried on a dress that she wore at 19 and could barely get it zipped when I exhaled HARD... and she told me I was fat. Uhhh... remember the single digit body fat thing? That's kind of the opposite of fat. I KNEW I wasn't fat, but like @TexanStar said... self-consciousness is a NAAAAAAG. Then the whole telling me I wasn't so smart or special, despite being in "Challenge Class" (gifted and talented) and getting great grades, being involved in sports, church, volunteering, etc.

I KNOW that your dad and my mom thought they were doing what was best, but dang. The effects are long lasting.
 
It won't hurt. Novacaine is a wonderful local, and the gas makes the noise less disturbing. (Pay for the gas. It's like $50 per half hour if your insurance doesn't cover it, and you only need half an hour.) Bring ibuprofen liquigels with you. Take them immediately after the bleeding stops. By the time the local wears off, you will be numbed by the ibuprofen. Make note of the time, and take the next dose on time. Be prepared with soft foods and room temperature water at home. You are going to be fine.

Thank you for your words of comfort - any chance of you coming over to the UK to hold my hand? Just a few hours to go!
 
Honestly, the worst part about a tooth extraction is the sound. The sound inside your own head is kind of gross. If I could add one last piece of advice, it would be to bring some music to play in your earbuds or headphones. You want to drown that out if you can. It's not the worst thing in the world if you can't though.
 
Cosmetic Dentistry's aggressive attempts to eliminate the central tooth gap (diastema)is depressing. Gaps make for a wonderful smile.

#savethegap

I agree. Why eliminate the wonderful gap? That's fucking crap.
It's interesting how ....creatively far .... some companies will go to make money by inventing imaginary problems.
Now. Since we're on the topic of dentistry.
I was charged $1,250. My DOG needed to have her teeth cleaned.
She came back dizzy and stumbling for 48 hours, with a shaved patch on her front leg and this comforting news: No major issues YET.

#FuckBrushingMyDogsTeeth
 
  • Like
Reactions: Toddcc987