(Again) Coming Out

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Lex said:
Thanks for the thoughts and energy gang. This is tough shit--REALLY tough shit. I can't and won't lie--the mornings are especially tough. I still awaken with lots of anxiety and an uneasy feeling and sometimes cry just a bit (or a lot, actually).

I keep trying to figure out if I am sad, afraid, happy, or what when those moments come and I am content now to just FEEL them. I had no idea this would be such an explosively emotion place in my story.

I said it out loud and can't control where it goes from here. Everyday I get closer to being okay with that. Eventually, I expect it not to matter (to me at least).

I have fought this battle of learning to love myself my whole lifeand I decided that I can't say I fully love myself if I am hiding from the people who claim to love me the most.

Again--you guys are great.

Baby bro,

We love you. Here is a tissue to wipe your nose now. Man you really shouldnt cry you are sho nuff one ugly brother when you do! Red and yellow cat eyes are not attractive! LOL! Your vanity alone should stop it. NO seriously, you have taken a brave step and we do love you. Now, where is my BEAR hug?

curious n str8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
All I can say is this Lex :You_Rock_Emoticon: Man!!!:laola: Your very fortunate to have such a awesome life partner in your wife :newangel: , loving and caring Mother :love: I hope everything goes well your Dad :fingersx: now that being said come here for a Big ole Bear :hug: WOOF SNORTS paws at the ground and GGrrrr Buddy

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Literally, I have been receiving several PMs a day from wonderful members, expressing their support, concern, or similar paths.

I have been reading up on Coming Out (would have probably been wise to do this FIRST, but when have *I* ever been traditional, right? I am still deciding about my dad (when and where more than IF).

I am putting some helpful links here for anyone seeking information about coming out.

OutProud: Coming Out to Your Parents
--

Be Clear in Your Own Mind
  • Are you sure about your sexual orientation? Don't raise the issue unless you're able to respond with confidence to the question "Are you sure?" Confusion on your part will increase your parents' confusion and decrease their confidence in your judgment.
  • Are you comfortable with your gay sexuality? If you're wrestling with guilt and periods of depression, you'll be better off waiting to tell your parents. Coming out to them may require tremendous energy on your part; it will require a reserve of positive self-image.
  • Do you have support? In the event your parents' reaction devastates you, there should be someone or a group that you can confidently turn to for emotional support and strength. Maintaining your sense of self-worth is critical.
  • Are you knowledgeable about homosexuality? Your parents will probably respond based on a lifetime of information from a homophobic society. If you've done some serious reading on the subject, you'll be able to assist them by sharing reliable information and research.
  • What's the emotional climate at home? If you have the choice of when to tell, consider the timing. Choose a time when they're not dealing with such matters as the death of a close friend, pending surgery or the loss of a job.
  • Can you be patient? Your parents will require time to deal with this information if they haven't considered it prior to your sharing. The process may last from six months to two years.
  • What's your motive for coming out now? Hopefully, it is because you love them and are uncomfortable with the distance you feel. Never come out in anger or during an argument, using your sexuality as a weapon.
  • Do you have available resources? Homosexuality is a subject most non-gay people know little about. Have available at least one of the following: a book addressed to parents, a contact for the local or national Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays, the name of a non-gay counselor who can deal fairly with the issue.
  • Are you financially dependent on your parents? If you suspect they are capable of withdrawing college finances or forcing you out of the house, you may choose to wait until they do not have this weapon to hold over you.
  • What is your general relationship with your parents? If you've gotten along well and have always known their love -- and shared your love for them in return -- chances are they'll be able to deal with the issue in a positive way.
  • What is their moral societal view? If they tend to see social issues in clear terms of good/bad or holy/sinful, you may anticipate that they will have serious problems dealing with your sexuality. If, however, they've evidenced a degree of flexibility when dealing with other changing societal matters, you may be able to anticipate a willingness to work this through with you.
  • Is this your decision? Not everyone should come out to their parents. Don't be pressured into it if you're not sure you'll be better off by doing so -- no matter what their response.

ComingOutStories.com
-- read the stories of others for encouragement, insight and support.

Psych Page on Coming Out

Wikipedia Article on Coming Out

fortiesfun

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Lex:

Like so many others here, I admire you tremendously. I share a few things in common with you, including a tremendously supportive wife who has helped me through a decade of "stuff" now.

We had a lot to sort through, because we had been married for a long time before I got up the nerve to be honest with her. It was tough, but you know what? It worked out. And she really helped me and supported me when I decided I needed to come out to my own parents to confront some homophobia going on there. That story has a happy ending, too, if one that took a lot longer to work out than your instant acceptance.

Your story is so clear and thoughtful that I don't want to compare mine to yours, but to suggest to readers that there are men here who made decisions about their sexuality late in life and after marriage, and we can be resources if we are needed. No matter what you are going through and what options you are sorting, there is probably someone else who has been there who would share.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Part 2: June 11, 2006

Telling My Step Mom

My dad and step mom have been together off and on for forever. They are not legally married, but in every way that counts they are together. She puts up with an incredible amount of his nonsense and for that, I love her dearly. She has also always taken a huge interest in my kids and they adore her like no one else. She has a adult son who is also like family to us. She is a woman of faith and attends church regularly, and is also not one to rave up and down about people and their wrong-doings.

I came out to her today. I wanted her to know that I would be speaking to my dad soon and, since he has a pattern or being withdrawn, unemotive and cranky, I wanted to give her the heads up before I spoke to him. I also wanted to get some of her thoughts on how best to discuss this with him.

She and I talked and she wanted to make sure that Me, Mrs. Lex and the Kids were fine and I assured her as much. I told her that this was not the whole DL thing she has seen on Oprah and read about in magazines and that my wife has been with me from the start. That seemed to relieve her.

Then she gave me some really good ideas about how to speak to him (she knows as well as I do that he is going to have some challenged accepting this). Her basic stance was "You know, I'm like--whatever--live and let live." and she thanked me for thinking enough of her to share this with her.

I thanked her for everything she has ever done for me, Mrs. Lex and the kids and we ended the talk there. Refreshing to know that I was no big deal to her (or that if it is, she didn't make is appear to be).

Dad's next.

rich-9.8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Congratulations Lex. Well done for having the courage to be who you truly are. You're a lucky man to have that amount of support and help from your loved ones.

Good luck telling your Dad.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Part 3: August 30, 2006

Telling My Dad

I have been trying all summer to find the right time and place to talk to my dad. I left messages and when he would get back to me--I would have to tell him that our conversation could wait. Somehow the family BBQ around July 4th did not seem the proper time.

But today was the day. A good friend here told me a few weeks ago not to wait too much longer. So, this morning, I called my Dad and told him I needed to see him today, after he got off work.

I stopped by the house and we went to his bedroom. And I just told him. "Pop, I have something very important to tell you. I'm gay."

"WHAT?"

"I know this is not what you expectyed me to say or want to talk about, and I need you and mom to know who I am."

I explained that it has been a long tough journey to this point. He asked if I was sure and said he was floored. "I don't know what to say." He kept saying that. Over and over.

I told him that was not confused and that he didn't need to say anything. I told him that I have felt different in some way or another all my life and that I have tried for years to figure out why this life I have (family, kids, career) left me still feeling unhappy. But now I knew from where a great deal of my unhappiness came.

He told me that I was his son (his only child) and that nothing would change that.

He asked if Mrs. Lex knew and I told him she did and that she had been instrumental in supporting me in this journey of self-realization. He asked if I had a BF--I told him I did not currently have one but that I have had one in the past. He jumped to the "consequences of having a BF". I assured him that I was fully knowledgeable about HIV and AIDS.

I told him it was not about sex. He said he was confused at that. I tried to make him understand that my love is the same as his, just that it goes in a different direction (towards men) than does his. He had a really hard time with this. I know that his inability to conceive of a relationship in this way is his limitation.

He asked if I had gone to counseling. I told him I was considering going again and I assured him that no amount of counseling was going to make me NOT gay. He said he did not expect it to. I told him that I was going to try counseling as a way to manage my new reality and any transitions that may evince from it.

He asked if Mrs. Lex and I would stay married and I told him that long term we may not choose to do so and that whatever decisions we make we make as best friends and parents of children. He stressed that I should do everything in my power to stay with my family.

I began to try to explain to him that that route is exactly what I HAD been doing--but he could not really see it. Deep down, I really thinks that he feels that I am ruining all I have built.

I told him that we could talk some more when he was ready for the answers and I left a brochure for parents that I downloaded from OutProud.org for him to read if he wanted.

All in all, this initial talk went much better than I had expected. I know that he may come back with harder questions and concerns and that his inability to conceive of my orientation is a reflection of him (not of me) and that, if he is willing, we can work on it together.

In closing, I just want to thank all the great folk here who have sen their best either via this thread or a PM. You guys rock.

Here is quote that I recently found. It's significance to me should be obvious:

“My only regret about being gay is that I repressed it for so long. I surrendered my youth to the people I feared when I could have been out there loving someone. Don’t make that mistake yourself. Life’s too damn short.” –Armistead Maupin

bluekarma

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Wow ...just wow!!! Where do you get your strength? I admire you, I really do. I hope this weight lifted off will bring you the peace you so much deserve, just for being who you are. I am in a situation somewhat similar to yours, and aside from having an amazing partner that accepts you - I just don't know how you do it. Much respect for you Lex, and thanks so much for sharing all of this.

Oh, also....keep me/us updated (if you feel like it) on how your relationship with your wife and family is going.

((hugs))

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
curiousgurl said:
Wow ...just wow!!! Where do you get your strength? I admire you, I really do. I hope this weight lifted off will bring you the peace you so much deserve, just for being who you are. I am in a situation somewhat similar to yours, and aside from having an amazing partner that accepts you - I just don't know how you do it. Much respect for you Lex, and thanks so much for sharing all of this.

Oh, also....keep me/us updated (if you feel like it) on how your relationship with your wife and family is going.

((hugs))

CG--thanks and HUGS back.

There is really strength in numbers. Friends here and elsewhere do SO much to support and encourage me everyday (PM, email, IM). It means a hell of a lot.

It was HARD. SO hard. I sit here and still can't believe I did in (does that sound weird?) I have been reading the coming out stories of others on the net and talking with good friends about their experiences. Each time you share you story--it gets a little easier to tell and share. This is my truth. I have uncovered it and embraced it. As my Pop said--"Everything will be fine."

I'll keep you posted.

Matthew

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Are you ready to take me home to meet him? :wink:

Much respect, Lex. Let the bubbly flow!

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Lex, I'm so glad you decided to tell your dad and it wasn't as rough as it could have been.

So many emotions here, and we as a society usually don't allow men to express them or become comfortable with it. When you said that the more you tell the story the easier it gets, I think that's a truth that bears repeating. Also, the more truth you tell, the less you can be harmed or threatened by secrets. Who could ever hold anything over your head if you tell your secrets yourself?

I think Mrs Lex is a very special person too, tell her I said hi. To any of you who weren't here for the whole story, she has been instrumental in helping Lex on his journey into the light. I am of the opinion that nomatter when you discover the truth about yourself, you never owe it to others to continue living a lie. Of course, I am also of the opinion that if you KNOW the truth that you are gay and marry a woman through deception, that's pretty effin' horrible, but I think more often than not that's not the way it goes.

I look forward to a day when homosexuality is not so stigmatised that people feel the need to keep it on the dl, that just does so much damage to so many. Thanks Lex for being a champion for many through your honest self-exposure.

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
madame_zora said:
I look forward to a day when homosexuality is not so stigmatised that people feel the need to keep it on the dl, that just does so much damage to so many.
I would just change one word in madame_z's post:

I look forward to a day when sexuality is not so stigmatised...

..because I think that the stigmatisation of homosexuality is merely part of a bigger social issue about (not) discussing sexuality in general. I believe the real utopia would be a time and place where every individual actually questioned his or her own sexuality.. so that no matter what their final decision (straight, gay, bi, tri, heteroflexible, homoflexible, etc. etc.), it would be the product of personal analysis, introspection and contemplation and a desire to be true to oneself, rather than simply 'fitting in' (due to social pressure) or rigidly adhering oneself to an inadequately explored label which at best constitutes an "absolute" state of being, whereas few individuals can be so easily pigeonholed.

Lex continues to be an example to all at LPSG, and deserves all the praise he is receiving.. not just because he is going through some pretty intense stuff on a personal level, but because he is sharing this so openly so that others might learn or gain an insight also. And if the latter isn't one of the key things that LPSG can be about (at its very best), then I really don't know what is.

Heather LouAnna

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Lex said:
Part 1: June 5, 2006
I awoke this morning with a queasy, uneasy feeling after a wonderful weekend in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware. More then ever before I had such a hard time leaving this magical place where my orientation mattered as much as my bald head. I had been chatting with two good friends on BMB and they had unknowingly helped me realize and muster the strength to do what I knew needed to be done.

So, I picked up the phone and called my Mom (as we don't see each other much having been estranged from for many years and we had recently begun to try to reconnect) and tried to get to the point--I told her I was feeling sad and overwhelmed (crying by this point) and she told me to remember that we had made a pact when I was younger that I could tell her anything.

And so after more crying and hesitation and assurances that I was not dying, I told her I was gay.

Her response: "Okay! Is that all? Baby, my love for you is unconditional and everlasting. Now, if anything, I know that I will have to love you more since the world will forsake you and treat you even more differently that is already does."

We chatted some more in between my bawling and (tenuous) laughing. She told me (in response to my saying how hard it is/has been) that I "should just be myself and be a good person because that is all she ever wanted of me--what's so hard about that?" WOW. So hard and yet so easy.

I am also hopeful that this will be the beginning of something new and deeper for my mother and I. I have talked to her 4-5 times since then (I couldn't tell you the last time that was the case). She said it was so good to "hear you smile" through the phone. There were always "little signs" she said. I feel not a bit unlike a adopted child that is (re)learning his history from the first time, this time from the outside on. Amazing.

It was emotionally charged, bizarre and surreal all at once. I had been dreading this day for a long time now and I am both relieved and renewed with anxiety all at once. That it went so well with her both surprised and soothed me. The emotions are still very raw with me and the world seems just a little bit different today and my shoulders feel just a little bit lighter.

I hope it goes half as well with my dad and step-mom. Fingers crossed.

Mrs. Lex
My wife is the most amazing person you have never met. Hands down. Were it not for her insight, acceptance and love I would have probably left this place a long time ago. She is my partner, my compliment, my binary star. As these issues have emerged she has both challenged me to and supported while I faced them. Actually, WE have faced them together.

On the subject of coming out (since it affects her too), she is extremely supportive and behind me all the way. God love her. She told me the most amazing thing (as we have spoken about my emerging understanding of myself).

She said: "You were a caterpillar. And carterpillars crawl on the ground and eat leaves. And now you've gone into your cocoon and are emerging as a butterfly. The essence of you is the same, and it's taken a different form. And butterflies don't eat leaves--the drink from flowers. So now, it is no surprise that you now like flowers more than leaves."

So, she is determined to walk this path with me in life and for that I am grateful. She's a keeper in every sense of the word.

To all those here who support me without knowing it: Thank you. This place has been a Godsend me for in a variety of ways.

I put this here not to show off or tell anyone what to do. I think each of us will know when the time is right for you.

I hope that someone somewhere is helped by my story (as always).

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!! I teared up, seriously!

Just..aw.....awwwww.. :biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1: *hug* Be brave and you will be fruitful.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
You guys seriously make me wanna cry sometimes. And that is no pilllow talk. This place is awesome.

madame_zora said:

I think Mrs Lex is a very special person too, tell her I said hi. To any of you who weren't here for the whole story, she has been instrumental in helping Lex on his journey into the light. I am of the opinion that nomatter when you discover the truth about yourself, you never owe it to others to continue living a lie. Of course, I am also of the opinion that if you KNOW the truth that you are gay and marry a woman through deception, that's pretty effin' horrible, but I think more often than not that's not the way it goes.

... Thanks Lex for being a champion for many through your honest self-exposure.
Zora--Mrs. Lex said "Hi" back. Really. She is beyond amazing. She is the ONLY reason I sometimes wish I were straight or that I had straight twin for her to spend her life with. Not many women would have had the love and courage to basically challenge me to face my truth. I hope that before I die, I can prove myself worthy of all her love and devotion. She deserves that and SO much more. She has helped me in amazing ways. Her place in heaven (if there is such a place) is assured, Trust me.

Alex8 said:
...he is sharing this so openly so that others might learn or gain an insight also. And if the latter isn't one of the key things that LPSG can be about (at its very best), then I really don't know what is.
When I first got here--SO much of this site was really about the HELPING. There were and will always be silly thread, argumentative threads, and threads we think are stupid. But in the middle of all of it--we have to remember that far more people read than post and that this place CAN help others. LPSG has helped me SO much. THAT is why I stay here, why I agreed to become and Mod and why I defend it so vigorously.

If my attempts at transparency help ONE person, then I am more than glad that I am able to share my story.

HUGS all around!

dcwrestlefan

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
lex,

thanks alot for sharing that. wow. you never know when someone might read what you wrote and make a change in their life, based on your experience, that can make their lives better forever.

there is nothing worse than the fear of thinking "they won't love me anymore if i tell them". it really can eat at you. and nothing better than how you feel when you say "i'm gay" and they still love you.

huge hugz, rich.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Lex, my man, congratulations on finally getting that stumbling block out of your way. Yes, you do have unlimited and unconditional support from some of us here on LPSG.

You have my phone number.