Cheese Snob?

MarkLondon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I've loved blue cheeses ever since I dared try some Gorgonzola at an office cheese and wine party. That was a big step for me, blue and smelly, two taboos in one. No-one's mentioned St Agur yet. It's similar to Roquefort but milder and cheaper. Would be a good one to start with, if you want to try blues. The only one I don't like is Danish Blue - echh, salty.

I liked Kraft Dairylea as a kid. Nowadays I'd prefer a Dolcelate if I was in that kind of mood.

Last edited:

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Since moving to Turkey, I've discovered a whole new world of cheeses. We have so many of types of sheep and goat and cow cheeses. I don't know all the names but they range from hard parmigiana types to dry crumbly (served with walnuts for breakfast!), to normal white cheese. There are her dozens of types of "feta" as well, either goat for sheep. The packaged slices are like a cheddar but they are actually cheese, not "American" cheese food. (yuck btw).

I can't get old canadian cheddar here so I have serious cravings for that and whenever I get home I bring back a kilo with me and ration it.

I like gorganzola, stilton, red lancaster, brie... anything really. I will not eat cheese from a can, so call me a snob.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I love cheese. I've come to appreciate the stronger tasting stuff as well as the mild. I don't particularly care for the gooey cheeses like brie or sheep milk cheese. I usually eat a bit with grapes, apples, water crackers, or french bagettes.

Gruyere - a firm cheese from Switzerland
Stilton - British Blue Cheese
Gorgonzola
Sharp Cheddar
Goat Cheese
Munster
Reggiano Parmesan
Jarlsberg
Philly Cream Cheese
Ricotta
Roquefort

It's hard to find a variety of affordable quality cheeses in America I find. I can only find them at a couple of cheese shops in town that sell ridiculously expensive foreign varieties.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I've never tried it, but I've heard that Austin Blue is really good.

eddyabs

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I love cheese.....

My favourites...

Roquefort
A good strong English Cheddar (Denhay West Country one of my favourites)
Y-Fenni (Welsh mustard and ale cheese)
A ripe strong Stilton (the King of cheeses)
Comte (love this one a lot...expensive though!)
A strong socky Camembert
Jarlsberg
Gruyere
A good medium Goat's Cheese
A ripe French Brie

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I realised we had a "coffee snob" thread, but no "cheese snob" thread! I'm interested to know what all your favourite types of cheese are, where you get them, and your favourite ways to enjoy them. Just for fun, are there any cheeses you hate?

I'm lactose intolerant so by nature, if I want to eat cheese, I usually reach for fancy (read: expensive) cheese, such as sheep or goat's cheese. I just enjoyed some Spanish Manchego (sheep's milk cheese), and after living in France for half of last summer, I like to eat cheese on its own.

FWIW California is the best cheese state in this nation (no, it's not Wisconsin for the record). Out at Point Reyes near here (San Fran)... there are a few blue cheese shacks... with a few oyster farms nearby, too. It's like the same climate that produces all the great Napa/Sonoma wine... but toss in a shitload of fog and salt air. Buh-bye.

A gastronomic orgasm of sorts...

Exquisite blue cheese can't be beat , IMHO. Love Machego too.