Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Sadie BellyDance - YouTube

Excellent - get to the end, you may be surprised.

That is very cool, a belly dancing class just opened up near where I live last year. My best friend and I wanted to start going, but her schedule is kind of full. :sigh1:

I hope this thread goes on forever. It will always be applicable to human sexuality so I truly hope it's one of those gems I can enjoy for years to come. (No pun intended ;)

I hope so too, it is something that will always fascinate me.

Last edited:

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
But there are many who enjoy performance. I know a belly dancer in The Far East, she certainly doesn't do it for the money, but then I also wouldn't judge people who did. I heard that poll dancing was quite an accepted way to pay for college.

BTW - I have never been anywhere where women have been paid to remove any of their clothes.

I have.

I don't judge women who pole dance either. There's a vast difference between wanting to be a stripper and doing it to pay for college, and a friend of mine actually dated a woman who was doing just that. There are many jobs I hated that I did just for the money, and I don't feel that I can judge someone else for what they need to do to get by. A few months ago I joined a forum for "exotic dancers" out of curiosity. As I expected, few actually enjoyed performance. Most said that they thought about how much money they could make when they performed and that was their principle motivation. I recall no one expressing pure enjoyment of performing. Most expressed intense disdain for their customers and made it sound like it was a job that they endured instead of enjoyed.

I really don't think that pole dancing and belly dancing are comparable, though. Pole dancers usually strip and belly dancers do not. It's acceptable to belly dance in a restaurant, but not pole dance. I don't think your friend would be flattered by the comparison. I know many belly dancers who dance for money, and I believe that they would be offended by the comparison. The friends I have who grew up knowing how to belly dance from the time that they were small girls because it's a part of their culture would also be offended by the comparison. To them belly dancing is known as "dancing."

Regardless, I agree with your friend. Audience or not, belly dancing is a lot of fun.

Just gonna add I love Belly dancers... I know a few and I have been debating on taking lessons. It is such a lovely art of dancing.

It's great fun! I've always loved ladies who take belly dancing. They really know how to throw a hafla. The accoutrements can be costly, IME, but every dancer I've ever known has become skilled with a glue gun because of that very issue - no matter what kind of dance they do. You spend 20 hours a week practicing for a performance and then have to take extra time to make dance skirts. :rolleyes:

Pole dancing classes are also fun, too, but quite like beating oneself with a metal pole when one is still learning to do the various tricks. It's not easy stuff. It takes real gymnastic talent. Seeing as how I have no plans to pole dance in public or install one in my home, my classes were rather pointless, but I did get stronger arms. :tongue:

I'd recommend belly dancing over pole dancing any day.

Last edited:

ClawdineKitten

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
My username is the bastardized spelling of the name of a character from a book who was the top courtesan in the kingdom, as well as close friend/confidant of her Queen. NOT that I'm saying I'm that special, but I liked the name and I adore the book series. In spite of all the bad things that can happen to sex workers, there is some glamour/appeal to it, yes.

Hell, even when I was a paid adult cam girl there was a touch of odd mystique. Having people go out of their way, paying to spend time with you is kinda nice. I've thought about doing other sex work but I don't know that I have the right personality/psyche for it.

Which book is this you speak of it sounds interesting I might have to read it.

Petite!

I love Rachel Brice she is amazing. One of the belly dancers I know is more into the gothic belly dance and I love it.
Mahafsoun Metal Bellydance ~ Epica {Seif Al Din}

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I like it! I'm not a big fan of the music, though. The head banging was a little odd to me. She has a gorgeous head of hair. She's just gorgeous. Her style is a lot looser than Rachel Brice's intensely controlled tribal style. It's more like traditional cabaret style belly dancing except for the music - and the head banging. :biggrin1:

Last edited:

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Mary Ashton

pole dancing is an art.
is like anything else... is all on how well ya do it.

the idea that men being willing to pay for something devalues a thing is all kinds of sad.
:frown:

Tattooed Goddess

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Mary Ashton

pole dancing is an art.
is like anything else... is all on how well ya do it.

the idea that men being willing to pay for something devalues a thing is all kinds of sad.
:frown:

Mickey, I think it devalues it to women but it makes it worth even more to other men. It's pretty powerful stuff.

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
yeah.. my urk lives with stripping the power/beauty away from the women and putting the focus/purpose in the hands/wallets of dudes. reduces the women to a commodity. and that's where exploitation starts.

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
hulahoop ninja skills
:bigeyes2:

Ariel Silks are in the same camp of hot-impressive in all kinds of ways.

Oh yeah. Love it! I have long been an admirer.

Related: aerial dancing in harness. I know someone who got to perform in a dance on the side of a very tall building. She's seriously badass. If she wanted, she could become ninja, I am convinced.

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
ninja.. or just out and out fly. is like they are only of a passing acquaintance with gravity.

a performance by the Swans hooked me from wee-ML until now. groups like The Paperdoll Militia are really pushing boundaries, far as the style and the audience. is awesome!

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

I saw Cirque de Soleil's show Dralion once as a birthday gift. The ribbon/aerial dancers were amazing :biggrin1: I have a lot of respect for people who can dance well, whether it's on a pole, belly dancing, ball room, etc. Takes some effort, dang

ClawdineKitten

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Wow this stuff is amazing, I have always loved Cirque de Soleil it amazes me to no end. The only dancing I know so far is ballroom and folk dances from around the world. XD I admire dancers as well I think it's one reason it made me want to take lessons so bad.