I have been going crazy lately with all kinds of lawyers telling me first
one thing and then another. It is driving me bananas trying to get a
definitive answer out of any of them. It occured to me - WE NEED A
LAWYER IN THE FAMILY.

Here we have a 20 year old with a good head on his shoulders sitting on
his skinny behind playing cards and eating noodle soup. i have been
hoping and hoping you would wake up one day soon and see what you could
be doing and what an opportunity you have in this world. Deep Spring is
another cop out to lounge around musing with nature and theology.

Get your tail to the nearest basic state supported college and get whatever
you need in hours to get into law school. i don't care if the subjects are
boring or whatever. Just get what you have to get to get into law school.
Learn something that can help your family. Justify your existence.

If the lawyers I got now don't
drive me to an early grave I will be around to benefit from wht you can do.
I want you in summer school NOW

Call me, Muvie

I don't know what to say to this. You guys tell me.

jeff black

Expert Member
Media
Bryan_Lyte2 said:
Wait, wait, hold-up. You are upset that your grandmoter is not doing something productive or did I read that letter wrong.

I think he is upset that grandma wants him to be a lawyer, or he is confused.

Either way, Chase, do you want to be a lawyer? :biggrin1:

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I think it's the other way around -- she's criticizing him.

So . . . by Deep Springs, are you talking about the two-year school in California? And if so, have you made a commitment to attend Deep Springs, or do you have other options on the table?

B_Danceswithlamps

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
His grandma sent him a letter telling him her tiredness of laywers, and said he should gett of his hieney and go to school, then to law school.

I think you should go for it! Make tons of money, have a huge house, live large...

Bryan_Lyte2

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Oh, O.k. thanks for clarifying. It's really not correct to demand a lifelong carrer choice be made by someone, even if considering it.I'd be a street musician just to piss her off. All jokes aside I have to ask, if she feels that she needs "A
LAWYER IN THE FAMILY", why you, and not someone else?:cool:

ChuckRich

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Learn something that can help your family. Justify your existence.
So she's basically saying you're a loser if you choose what you want to do over something to benefit her and the rest of the family. And that your very existence isn't justified if you don't?? I can see why you're exasperated.

Tell her you're trying to find something YOU want to do with your life and she should be helping you make that choice not trying to make it for you. Because if you get pushed into something you don't want it'll only make you bitter and unhappy and you'd end up failing at it from lack of motivation.

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Chase,

I'm not your father. But if I were this is what I would tell you.

Chase,

I want you to dream and think about what you want to do with your life and how your life's vocation can benefit you and the world. Any job you do will take most of your working hours. It needs to be something YOU enjoy doing.

If you enjoy cleaning buildings, go for it. I know a millionaire who owns a janitorial service.

If you want to be a merchant, some are quite successful. There are the rich and the poor in every vocation.

But the bottom line is this: If you feel that you have accomplished your goals and are happy with what you are doing and will be doing in your life, then I your Dad will be very proud of you.

Son, don't do any job in life to please me. I have my own life. Had I wanted to be a lawyer, I could have gone to law school. That was your uncle who wnated to be a lawyer.

I am proud of you becasue you are my son, not what you can do for me. You have already brought more pleasure to me in life than I could have ever hoped for.

I love you son. If I can help you sort out what you want to do, I am here. I always will be. If I can help make it happen, you know I will.

Love,

Dad

Chuck64

Experimental Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Freddie53 said:
If you enjoy cleaning buildings, go for it.

The valedictorian of my H.S. class is now a janitor at the very same high school. It's a total load of crap. He has the potential to make a significant contribution to society, and he's screwing us all by not doing it.

I don't have any significant life experience, so I'm not gonna go off in to a rant, but I think you should pick a cause, make a goal, and work towards it. If you can't make a career out of it directly, pick a profession you can stand doing that helps get you the resources you need - and don't sell your soul for less than 4x the current powerball jackpot.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Human beings are not human doings. There is no need to justify an existance, it is justified by the fact that you are here.

Be happy, young Chase. Be confused, be scared, just be. That will always be enough.

If at some point you decide there is something you want to "do with your life", you'll know. All the old folks who would give you advice already had their turn- this one's yours.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
What Zora said. This is your book, Chase. YOURS and no one else's. I have been jamming to the following song thinking about my own very difficult path. The deep words in pop songs can sometimes be scary.

"Unwritten"

I am unwritten, can't read my mind, I'm undefined
I'm just beginning, the pen's in my hand, ending unplanned

Staring at the blank page before you
Open up the dirty window
Let the sun illuminate the words that you could not find

Reaching for something in the distance
So close you can almost taste it
Release your inhibitions
Feel the rain on your skin
No one else can feel it for you
Only you can let it in
No one else, no one else
Can speak the words on your lips
Drench yourself in words unspoken
Live your life with arms wide open
Today is where your book begins
The rest is still unwritten

I break tradition, sometimes my tries, are outside the lines
We've been conditioned to not make mistakes, but I can't live that way

Staring at the blank page before you
Open up the dirty window
Let the sun illuminate the words that you could not find

Reaching for something in the distance
So close you can almost taste it
Release your inhibitions
Feel the rain on your skin
No one else can feel it for you
Only you can let it in
No one else, no one else
Can speak the words on your lips
Drench yourself in words unspoken
Live your life with arms wide open
Today is where your book begins
The rest is still UNWRITTEN!!

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Dear Muvie,

Many lawyers are self-centred, obnoxious wankers who prioritize the letter of the law and their own ability to play semantic games, rather than following what is in their hearts or what corresponds to their sense of right and wrong.

I would prefer to be a nice person.

Love,
Chase.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
mfoley said:
His grandma sent him a letter telling him her tiredness of laywers, and said he should gett of his hieney and go to school, then to law school.

I think you should go for it! Make tons of money, have a huge house, live large...

You don't actually know any lawyers, do you?

Chase, you are the only one who lives your life. Figure out for yourself what direction you wish to take, and take it without apology. My grandma wants me to go to law school too, but more than that, she wants to know that I will be okay when she's not around to (s)mother me.

Find out what lawyers do (if you want to know) how they expect to get paid for the first few years, what kind of contacts you will need to make, things like that. I thought I wanted to be a lawyer until I did some internships and got to meet the families waiting at home. I could never be happy raising my children via cell phone. Research. Decide. And, if you want, change your mind later. It's up to you.

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Spadle hasn't had a chance to respond yet, and I'm concerned that a few of the responses here are bitchy and snarky enough to cause friction within the family. Let's assume that his goal isn't to estrange himself from his relatives, okay?

So, here's my question: Why Deep Springs? What are your reasons for going there? Have you thought through the pros and cons of a non-traditional school? What are your goals for when you get out, and how will Deep Springs help you achieve them?

ChuckRich

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
The valedictorian of my H.S. class paid me to take his ACT for him. He wanted me to take his SAT too but I'd broken to school SAT score record (still well below a 1600 but what can you expect in the 49th ranked state?) and I was afraid I'd do better and everybody would think he'd broken my record. Damn that.