*** LAKERS v CELTICS THREAD ***

lucky8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I bet Kobe couldn't get stabbed 9 times and come back to be as good as he is now...go Pierce! (gotta represent for my fellow jayhawk)

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Another store-bought championship for the city of Boston.... props.

Even worse, the NBA endorses it. They put KG and Ray Allen on this team and all of a sudden they are head and shoulders above the rest of the league from the East ? I don't buy it, Minnesota sucked the last, what, three years. KG is good, but not that good and the West still has far better teams. I'd put money on the NJ Nets teams that didn't win it vs the Lakers (2K2) and Spurs (2K3) earlier this decade over this Celtics team.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Even worse, the NBA endorses it. They put KG and Ray Allen on this team and all of a sudden they are head and shoulders above the rest of the league from the East ? I don't buy it, Minnesota sucked the last, what, three years. KG is good, but not that good and the West still has far better teams. I'd put money on the NJ Nets teams that didn't win it vs the Lakers (2K2) and Spurs (2K3) earlier this decade over this Celtics team.

So, of course, since the Celtics now has an extra dynamic that allows a team to be an actual team, and not lead by one "messiah" that has to be the beginning, middle & end of the entire game, the entire sport has to be fixed and the rest of the NBA teams are allowing it to happen. This isn't the first time that a team went from last to first in a professional sport, and it won't be the last.

Besides, teams that only have one superstar and a bunch of followers, as in the case of the L.A. Lakers (Kobe Bryant) and the Cleveland Cavaliers (Lebron James) can only get so far. Looking at Pierce, Allen & Garnett kinda reminds me of the old Celtics team that won the Championship back in '84 and '86. Looking at the Lakers, I see a franchise trying to make a new age Michael Jordan. Not trying to discredit he or Lebron James for their superhuman abilities, but basketball is a team sport for a reason.

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
So, of course, since the Celtics now has an extra dynamic that allows a team to be an actual team, and not lead by one "messiah" that has to be the beginning, middle & end of the entire game, the entire sport has to be fixed and the rest of the NBA teams are allowing it to happen. This isn't the first time that a team went from last to first in a professional sport, and it won't be the last.

Besides, teams that only have one superstar and a bunch of followers, as in the case of the L.A. Lakers (Kobe Bryant) and the Cleveland Cavaliers (Lebron James) can only get so far. Looking at Pierce, Allen & Garnett kinda reminds me of the old Celtics team that won the Championship back in '84 and '86. Looking at the Lakers, I see a franchise trying to make a new age Michael Jordan. Not trying to discredit he or Lebron James for their superhuman abilities, but basketball is a team sport for a reason.

I agree with you that talent puts them up there to compete. This Celtic team would have been beaten very badly by the 80's Celtics. Parrish vs Garnett, no comparison there, Bird vs Pierce, again, I have money on Bird. Allen vs Johnson (Dennis), I'll even take DJ over RA. This Celtic team has no answer for McHale or Ainge. The Lakers of 2008, they aren't even close to the team that started off the new millenium with titles and I don't think even that team can play with the Jabbar/Johnson/Worthy/Scott/Cooper Lakers ? It's my rational for why the Lakers-Celtics has been revived, only this decades NBA has forgotten one thing, they can't top the 80's series with these lineups.

Last edited:

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I agree with you that talent puts them up there to compete. This Celtic team would have been beaten very badly by the 80's Celtics. Parrish vs Garnett, no comparison there, Bird vs Pierce, again, I have money on Bird. Allen vs Johnson (Dennis), I'll even take DJ over RA. This Celtic team has no answer for McHale or Ainge. The Lakers of 2008, they aren't even close to the team that started off the new millenium with titles and I don't think even that team can play with the Jabbar/Johnson/Worthy/Scott/Cooper Lakers ? It's my rational for why the Lakers-Celtics has been revived, only this decades NBA has forgotten one thing, they can't top the 80's series with these lineups.

Well, that's true too. I only said they reminded me of the old Celtics, not played just like them. :wink:

Comparing today's basketball teams to ones of the 80s and 90s is like comparing natural Orange Juice to Orange Kool-Aid. The comparisons are only being made because of the nostalgia that comes with a Celtics/Lakers Championship series. The old Bird/Johnson rivalry still remains one of the most memorable in sports. Hell, there was even a video game based on the two of them playing one on one.

mista geechee

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
yea the lakers and celtics of teh 80's were great. so were hte lakers and celtics of the 60's. what about that? wilt vs. bill. probably the 2 most revolutionary big menn ever and teh most dominant of their time. bill russell has eleven rings. 11. thats alot.

but there was a guy named michael jordan. maybe you heard of him. if there ever was a perfect player , it was mj. every time he got to the finals he won. and that was 6 times. who else can say that ? hell , the only reason we compare kobe to him is cuz we're so desperate for just one more second of teh atmosphere his airness created. i mean seriously, in his first playoff game he goes to boston garden to face THE larry bird accompanied by THE kevin mchale and robert parrish. and what does he do in his first playoff game (after missing most of the regular season)? he puts up 40+ points on their ass in their house. so they say "we wont let him do that again". they were right , he didnt get 40+ in game 2 , he got 63, in boston garden.

and who can forget the abundance of buzzer beaters ? nowadays you cant recall when your favorite guard made a game winner , but you can remember the last time michael missed.

or how about the atmosphere of playoff games in chicago ? where michael pretty much had his way with the other team (as usual) and turned the game into a talent show (with only one possible winner).

how about hte way he revolutionized the game (and teh 2 guard spor at the same time) ? and took it from a primarily interior bruiser game and made it more graceful and artistic with the most acrobatic moves seen outside of ringling brothers barnum & bailey.

how about teh flu games ? or any other injuries for that matter? he played (and dominated) the toughest defensive era in nba history. just look at the jorda rules. seriously , how does someone play better when they are hurt or sick ? well for starters they gotta be michael jordan

how about the way that , when he let loose , he made guys like barkley , thomas (isiah) , mchale, drexler , oneal , bird , johnson (magic) , jackson , malone , ewing , stockton and anyone else on the court look like a bunch of d-league bench players. especially craig ehlo.

i remember magic johnson said "larry (bird) and i thought we had something special happening , then this michal jordan guy came along"

i also remember larry legend himself saying after the 63 point game "it was god disguised as michael jordan"

talk about true baskketball nostalgia. one day there will be another. and hopefully soon. and we'll know because we wont know. it wont be that guy thats annointed as early as middle school as the next mj. he'll probably be foolishly passed up by a team who " wants to go big (men)" and thrash them every time he plays them. man the trailblazers were so foolish to pass on mj. but i guess its easy to say that in hindsight

MTHgasm

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
i mean is it really that bad that the lakers and celtics don't suck? I mean who doesn't want to see two very talented teams go at it for the championship?

I really like the announcers on ABC especially compared to TNT's retarded and unentertaining Doug Collins anyone else like ABC?

Guy-jin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
Having to watch the Western Conference Championship series with Doug Collins and Marv Albert made me want to shove forks in my ears. Truly cannot stand those guys. Hey Marv, YOU'RE NOT ON THE RADIO. YOU DON'T HAVE TO DESCRIBE EVERYTHING THAT'S HAPPENING TO ME VERBALLY!

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Having to watch the Western Conference Championship series with Doug Collins and Marv Albert made me want to shove forks in my ears. Truly cannot stand those guys. Hey Marv, YOU'RE NOT ON THE RADIO. YOU DON'T HAVE TO DESCRIBE EVERYTHING THAT'S HAPPENING TO ME VERBALLY!

I miss Chick Hearn. Basketball just isn't the same without references to butter. :( Thank god, Vin Scully is still around. *sigh of relief* :smile:

D_Selmus_Swallow

Account Disabled
Media
yea the lakers and celtics of teh 80's were great. so were hte lakers and celtics of the 60's. what about that? wilt vs. bill. probably the 2 most revolutionary big menn ever and teh most dominant of their time. bill russell has eleven rings. 11. thats alot.

but there was a guy named michael jordan. maybe you heard of him. if there ever was a perfect player , it was mj. every time he got to the finals he won. and that was 6 times. who else can say that ? hell , the only reason we compare kobe to him is cuz we're so desperate for just one more second of teh atmosphere his airness created. i mean seriously, in his first playoff game he goes to boston garden to face THE larry bird accompanied by THE kevin mchale and robert parrish. and what does he do in his first playoff game (after missing most of the regular season)? he puts up 40+ points on their ass in their house. so they say "we wont let him do that again". they were right , he didnt get 40+ in game 2 , he got 63, in boston garden.

and who can forget the abundance of buzzer beaters ? nowadays you cant recall when your favorite guard made a game winner , but you can remember the last time michael missed.

or how about the atmosphere of playoff games in chicago ? where michael pretty much had his way with the other team (as usual) and turned the game into a talent show (with only one possible winner).

how about hte way he revolutionized the game (and teh 2 guard spor at the same time) ? and took it from a primarily interior bruiser game and made it more graceful and artistic with the most acrobatic moves seen outside of ringling brothers barnum & bailey.

how about teh flu games ? or any other injuries for that matter? he played (and dominated) the toughest defensive era in nba history. just look at the jorda rules. seriously , how does someone play better when they are hurt or sick ? well for starters they gotta be michael jordan

how about the way that , when he let loose , he made guys like barkley , thomas (isiah) , mchale, drexler , oneal , bird , johnson (magic) , jackson , malone , ewing , stockton and anyone else on the court look like a bunch of d-league bench players. especially craig ehlo.

i remember magic johnson said "larry (bird) and i thought we had something special happening , then this michal jordan guy came along"

i also remember larry legend himself saying after the 63 point game "it was god disguised as michael jordan"

talk about true baskketball nostalgia. one day there will be another. and hopefully soon. and we'll know because we wont know. it wont be that guy thats annointed as early as middle school as the next mj. he'll probably be foolishly passed up by a team who " wants to go big (men)" and thrash them every time he plays them. man the trailblazers were so foolish to pass on mj. but i guess its easy to say that in hindsight

Gotta agree with everything here. I actually thought this Boston team might take a run at my beloved Bulls 72 win season what with the general weakness of the East right now. No comparison with the West; I mean 8 teams in the playoffs with at least 50 wins compared to how many sub-.500 teams going for a spot in the East? Crazy.

That said, I gotta pick the Celtics , with KG having played ball in Chicago back in high school he's got at least some local connection out here.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
How do you give up a 24 point lead? :confused:

The same way Boston did in Game 2. Except you don't lose.
Seriously, that game was crazy! I was ready to hang it up for Boston and wait for Game 5. Next thing you know, I peek at the score in the 3rd Quarter and it was within 6 points! Amazing comeback.

LA is a great team... but I highly doubt they're going to be able to pull 3 in a row off of Boston with two games on the road. And a loss like this must do a number on a player mentally. Doesn't look good for the Yellow & Purple, fellas.

Mr. Bungle

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I went out to the supermarket after the Lakers went back up by 20. I figured that was it, might as well do my shopping when I had a chance. When I came back, saw they were up by 3 - I kick myself in the ass now for not watching the remainder of that 3rd quarter... yeah I know - and I call myself a FAN!!!! :rolleyes: :sigh1:

mista geechee

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Wow.
First I must say that games 3 and 4 were significantly more entertaining. I think its cuz Staples Center has that good lighting. That Hollywood shit.
This was supposed to be a game 7 caliber series with a footnote of Kobe winning a title as a leader and not Shaq’s sidekick while subsequently giving him Michael Jordan status. But that’s what happens when commentators let their imaginations run wild. He makes 2 turn around jumpers and he’s supposed to be the second coming of the great one. Lamar Odom was the reason for that 20+ point lead they accumulated in the beginning. As he cooled down and gasol got into foul trouble , the Lakers lost steam. And that’s right about the time that Kobe is supposed to come in and be a hero. But he’s got a fragile psyche. Fucking Eddie House shit him down for Christ’s sake. EDDIE FUCKING HOUSE. Hahahahahahaha. Kinda like when Tayshaun Prince shut him down when they played Detroit in the finals a few years ago. I think the Lakers will win game 5 , as long as Lamar Odom remembers that he’s got an advantage wince he’s 6’10 yet still agile like a point guard. And an adept ball handler.
But Boston will have the last laugh. I predict a game 6 in Boston. They will trade the lead back and forth for the first half until the 3rd quarter and Boston (mainly Pierce) will take control. The 4th quarter will also be static and the Lakers will begin to chip away at Boston’s lead until the last 5 minutes when Boston will start making all the money plays.
So , in game 6 , Boston will win the title and end the drought.