Last rites for John Paul II

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
HI,

This seems to be a week for dramatic events. I just heard that they gave last rites to the Pontiff early this morning. Since this Pope has been in place for most of many of our lives, what memories do you have of him and his time as the holy father? I remember when he first became Pontiff, I was is school at Catholic U .We learned a number of his favorite songs in Polish to sing to him when he came for a student convocation . After seeing Pope Paul in his last feeble days, it was a shock to see this tall ( 6'4" - 6'5") robust man, John Paul II in long flowing robes stride into the room like Charlton Heston in the Ten Commandments! We were mesmerized. He cracked jokes with the students, he was not at all what we expected. I do remember however the Sisters' reaction to his reversal of some of the strides made during Vatican II, When he came in to give Mass, they got up and turned their backs to him row after row. It was quite a disturbing but impressive sight to see...

Naughty

lapdog2001

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Naughty,

I remember JP-I for the short time he lived and JPII when he visited Boston. My family went to see him on the parade route in South Boston. Everybody thinks 'Irish' when you mention Southie, but there is a very large Polish section too. This was before the assasination attempt, so he just stood up through the roof of the limo, no Popemobile.

We didn't go the the Mass on the Boston Common, as it was pouring rain when that happened. We watched on TV as he said in his heavily accented English "Boston is beautiful ...... even if it rains."

I'll remember him for all the good things he did and tried to do.

LapDog :p

hung_big: I dunno if it has been posted here, but PJPII has now died. It was 3:37 vadican time.

May he rest in peace.

NelsonMuntz84:
Originally posted by MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK@Apr 3 2005, 04:36 AM
Heard about it this afternoon. But apparently he was in reasonable spirits about this, and was at peace with it, making notes with his secretary.

May he truly walk with angels now.
[post=296321]Quoted post[/post]​

I think the true lesson of his death is for people to live their life to the full, so when they die, they can do so knowing they did the best they could and feel complete, so many are as scared of life as they are of death.

I'm sure on here there many people with different believes, be it a after-life or no no after-life etc, what is certain is that we all end up in the same place, and the only thing we can be sure of us is our mortality and how immortaity at least in this world is about living your life and being good to yourself and others around you.

At the end of the day you can have all the money, houses, cars etc, but on the day of you die, their hasn't been one person you loved, or one person who loved you, its been a waste of time imo.

I'll stop rambling now, lol :D

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I attended Mass today at St, Mary's, the only Catholic Church here in town, and the attendance was a testament to the respect that people felt for His Holiness. The little Church was packed, standing room only. Not only were the Catholics that usually only attend Mass on Christmas and Easter in attendance, but even many Protestants came to show their admiration. These were mostly Episcopalians, Lutherans and Methodists. (Jena is such a small town that everyone knows everyone else's religion ... and everyone else's business!) The priest said that the attendance today was the largest in the history of St. Mary's Catholic Church.

NelsonMuntz84:
Originally posted by surferboy@Apr 3 2005, 11:27 PM
I remember him not really giving a shit about how Cardinal Law and people like him were sexually abusing children.
[post=296551]Quoted post[/post]​

He did, he was just finished as a active Pope though and his health had started to get really bad, he really didn't have the abilty left to do anything about it and I think was well out of touch by that point.

If we end up with German fella as Pope you'll see heads roll among the American Cardinals, he ripped into them only last Sunday during the Vactican mass for Easter.

surferboy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
No, he did jack shit. He should have excommunicated Cardinal Law and every other priest associated in the scandal. I'm sorry, but the Pope's overlooking of the sitch was TOTALLY unforgivable. I will give him this, he was important to the fall of Communism, waaaay more than Raegan could ever hope to be. But his over looking of the scandal canceled it out.

NelsonMuntz84:
Originally posted by surferboy@Apr 4 2005, 01:01 AM
No, he did jack shit. He should have excommunicated Cardinal Law and every other priest associated in the scandal. I'm sorry, but the Pope's overlooking of the sitch was TOTALLY unforgivable. I will give him this, he was important to the fall of Communism, waaaay more than Raegan could ever hope to be. But his over looking of the scandal canceled it out.
[post=296586]Quoted post[/post]​

He could have done more, I think it was unfortunate it was not the Pope of the mid 1980's, rather than frail old man who was ready for death and in any other walk of life would have retired.

one thing for sure, you can put money on their never being a American Pope.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
In all fairness to the late Pope, Indian reservations have been dealing with priestly pederasts since the days of the first boarding schools. It's only recently the media put attention on it.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
Originally posted by NelsonMuntz84+Apr 3 2005, 07:08 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NelsonMuntz84 &#064; Apr 3 2005, 07:08 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-surferboy@Apr 4 2005, 01:01 AM
No, he did jack shit. He should have excommunicated Cardinal Law and every other priest associated in the scandal. I&#39;m sorry, but the Pope&#39;s overlooking of the sitch was TOTALLY unforgivable. I will give him this, he was important to the fall of Communism, waaaay more than Raegan could ever hope to be. But his over looking of the scandal canceled it out.

He could have done more, I think it was unfortunate it was not the Pope of the mid 1980&#39;s, rather than frail old man who was ready for death and in any other walk of life would have retired.

[post=296589]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

Maybe not a USA pope, but I wouldn&#39;t be surprised to see a South American named.

BTW, Nelson, when I got to your response I found myself entranced by your avatar - I almost forgot to read your message. :wow:

NelsonMuntz84:
Originally posted by Pecker+Apr 4 2005, 01:32 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pecker &#064; Apr 4 2005, 01:32 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by NelsonMuntz84@Apr 3 2005, 07:08 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-surferboy
@Apr 4 2005, 01:01 AM
No, he did jack shit. He should have excommunicated Cardinal Law and every other priest associated in the scandal. I&#39;m sorry, but the Pope&#39;s overlooking of the sitch was TOTALLY unforgivable. I will give him this, he was important to the fall of Communism, waaaay more than Raegan could ever hope to be. But his over looking of the scandal canceled it out.

He could have done more, I think it was unfortunate it was not the Pope of the mid 1980&#39;s, rather than frail old man who was ready for death and in any other walk of life would have retired.

[post=296589]Quoted post[/post]​

Maybe not a USA pope, but I wouldn&#39;t be surprised to see a South American named.

BTW, Nelson, when I got to your response I found myself entranced by your avatar - I almost forgot to read your message. :wow:
[post=296597]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

It is very nice isn&#39;t it.. if the girl in it ever comes in here, please send me a message&#33;&#33; :evilgrin:

South American would be the in the middle choice, with a European pope expected, and Africa being the outsider.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Yeah, well, places like Nigeria and Ethiopia are becoming the cultural center of 21st-century Christianity.

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by surferboy@Apr 3 2005, 10:27 PM
I remember him not really giving a shit about how Cardinal Law and people like him were sexually abusing children.
[post=296551]Quoted post[/post]​

Admittedly, the Pope dropped the ball on that issue, but that hardly cancels out all the good things he&#39;s done. He&#39;s the spiritual leader of a sixth of the world&#39;s people, respected by more heads of state than anyone since Gandhi. He&#39;s the first Pope to address the former anti-Semitism of the Church and apologise for past wrongs arising from it. He&#39;s the first Pope to enter a mosque. He&#39;s the first Pope to visit Cuba. He&#39;s the first Pope to have a dialogue with the Dalai Lama. He helped keep the US out of a war by convincing Noriega to turn himself in. His virst papal visit to Poland set off a revolution in Eastern Europe that resulted in the fall of the Soviet Empire and the demolition of the Wall in Berlin. He has faced agonies and wept tears that we will never know about. He was entrusted with guiding the oldest Christian Church, and he has done that well. I doubt anyone could&#39;ve done a more admirable job. With a serene look, the Pontiff said his final word: "Amen". And then he died. The world now mourns the passing of a righteous man who had more weight on his shoulders than I could ever imagine. The failures in his career pale beside the victories. He remains a role model.

BTW ... Cardinal Law was never accused of molesting children.

B_Dantesco

Just Browsing
Media
Jacinto, that was a beautiful elegy for the passing of a beautiful soul. Its when you write things that youre passionate about that we are reminded why you have a degree in the English language.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
And, as I said, John Paul wasn&#39;t the first pope that the priest scandal&#39;s occurred under. I don&#39;t even think Rome knew about it until it garnered media attention; for the most part, cardinals (such as Law) transferred their pedophile priests. Part of it&#39;s the shortage of priests. (When the priest scandal broke, I made a satirical comment that celibacy doesn&#39;t really appeal to most people; after all, there are hundreds, if not thousands, of "pipe bearers" out there attracting rich white Baby Boomers, and the real pipe bearer is on his, what, sixth wife now?)

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well, I do respect some of the things he did do, but I was and am shocked at the lack of action taken wrt the molestation cases, I think it was an incredible black eye on the church. Hopefully the next Pope will stand for accountability.

NelsonMuntz84:
Originally posted by madame_zora@Apr 4 2005, 09:42 AM
Well, I do respect some of the things he did do, but I was and am shocked at the lack of action taken wrt the molestation cases, I think it was an incredible black eye on the church. Hopefully the next Pope will stand for accountability.
[post=296762]Quoted post[/post]​

He, whoever it may be, will need too, it also would be a flying start for any new pope and would earn them brownie points right away.

I&#39;d also add that the disgrace where the American Cardinals, not the Pope, although he should have done more.

surferboy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Originally posted by madame_zora+Apr 4 2005, 03:42 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(madame_zora &#064; Apr 4 2005, 03:42 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Well, I do respect some of the things he did do, but I was and am shocked at the lack of action taken wrt the molestation cases, I think it was an incredible black eye on the church. Hopefully the next Pope will stand for accountability.
[/b]

Yah, unless it&#39;s this Nazi guy I&#39;m hearing about.

Originally posted by NelsonMuntz84@Apr 4 2005, 06:18 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-madame_zora
@Apr 4 2005, 09:42 AM

He, whoever it may be, will need too, it also would be a flying start for any new pope and would earn them brownie points right away.

I&#39;d also add that the disgrace where the American Cardinals, not the Pope, although he should have done more.
[post=296779]Quoted post[/post]​
[/quote]

Oh, I totally blame the American Cardinals. However, the Pope is their leader. By not doing what he should have, he&#39;s literally saying "oh, go ahead, fondle little boys&#33;" because the American Cardinals obviously knew he wasn&#39;t doing anything about it.