Post hysterectomy and confused....

D_Rosalind Mussell

Sexy Member
Media
Ladies, I need your input. I recently had a radical hysterectomy. It was supposed to be cervix and uterus only but they found a malignant tumor in the uterus so they removed everything...uterus, cervix, fallopian tubes, ovaries and lymph nodes. Thankfully, my pathology results came back and the cancer was contained within the uterus itself and the chance of it returning is only 2-3% in the next 5 years. While I am grateful for such a good prognosis, I am very confused. I have been thrown into surgical menopause and I have no idea what lays ahead. Because the type of cancer I had is caused by an overproduction of estrogen HRT is not an option right now. I am afraid that my sex drive is going to plunge off the face of the planet and I don't want it to. Bottom line, is there any woman here on LPSG that has experienced any of this? Is there any advice/information/etc that you can offer? Knowing I had cancer and the removal of my organs has turned my life upside down and I'm trying to cope the best I can, which is usually through information. I know everyones experience is different but any information would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Pendlum

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I can't really help, but have you looked at some cancer forums, maybe with a focus on women/the cancers that are specific to them? You said you like information, so you probably have, but I felt I should throw it out there just in case the thought didn't cross your mind.

Daisy

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm no doctor but if your ovaries were over producing estrogen, and you no longer have them, would replacing with bio-identical hormones be a problem? If you can't have estrogen at all I would say that there are other ways. I know there is a book out about creating an enhanced libido with diet. (one of them: Amazon.com: The Orgasmic Diet: A Revolutionary Plan to Lift Your Libido and Bring You to Orgasm (9780307352651): Marrena Lindberg: Books)

Above all I would say DO NOT panic. Our sex drive is fueled mostly by our brains. Just concentrate on your good health and go from there.

D_Rosalind Mussell

Sexy Member
Media
I can't really help, but have you looked at some cancer forums, maybe with a focus on women/the cancers that are specific to them? You said you like information, so you probably have, but I felt I should throw it out there just in case the thought didn't cross your mind.

I don't know why, but it didn't really cross my mind. I guess I just thought of posing the question about sex drive here because this forum is so open about these issues. Thanks. :)

D_Rosalind Mussell

Sexy Member
Media
I'm no doctor but if your ovaries were over producing estrogen, and you no longer have them, would replacing with bio-identical hormones be a problem? If you can't have estrogen at all I would say that there are other ways. I know there is a book out about creating an enhanced libido with diet. (one of them: Amazon.com: The Orgasmic Diet: A Revolutionary Plan to Lift Your Libido and Bring You to Orgasm (9780307352651): Marrena Lindberg: Books)

Above all I would say DO NOT panic. Our sex drive is fueled mostly by our brains. Just concentrate on your good health and go from there.

Hormone replacement is not an option right now because the type of cancer I had was fueled by an overactivity of estrogen. I think you are right in saying I shouldn't panic. I guess it's hard not to when there are so many things swirling around my head. I'm going to take a look at that book, thanks so much! :)

SouthernSpunk

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Ditto what Pendulum said. If you find your primary doctor(s) too aloof or distant to discuss this, seek out a woman's medical support group, physician's assistant, etc, that specializes in libido/endocrine issues for post hysterectomy patients. If all else fails, ask a female nurse in the office where you are being treated at for a recommendation.

B_subgirrl

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I can't help either, but wanted to let you know you are in my thoughts. It's great that you were so decisive regarding having the hysterectomy - it may have saved your life.

I second seaside's comment that a lot of our sex drive is a mental process. If you can keep thinking like a sexual person, it may go a long way toward keeping your sex drive intact.

Best wishes.

D_Rosalind Mussell

Sexy Member
Media
I can't help. I just want to congratulate you on beating cancer, and wish you the best of luck in the coming years. *huggle*

Thank you so much! I am very lucky, as it was caught in the very early stages. I don't need chemo, just exams every 6 months for the next 5 years. I'm not going to give up fighting this over the next 5 years, it's been life changing for me. Not only do I plan on surviving, but surviving well. :)

D_Rosalind Mussell

Sexy Member
Media
I can't help either, but wanted to let you know you are in my thoughts. It's great that you were so decisive regarding having the hysterectomy - it may have saved your life.

I second seaside's comment that a lot of our sex drive is a mental process. If you can keep thinking like a sexual person, it may go a long way toward keeping your sex drive intact.

Best wishes.

Thanks so much. :) When they told me my uterus was in a precancerous state, there was no option but surgery in my eyes. While it might have been the most extreme measure to take, I'm glad I did, as I feel that it did save my life. See, the weird thing is I do have a sex drive and I don't think I should. A cancer diagnosis, on top of major surgery, on top of the trauma (mental and physical) I've experienced over the past month, plus instant menopause....it just doesn't make sense to me. I guess the only thing I can do is take it day by day, right?

B_subgirrl

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Thanks so much. :) When they told me my uterus was in a precancerous state, there was no option but surgery in my eyes. While it might have been the most extreme measure to take, I'm glad I did, as I feel that it did save my life. See, the weird thing is I do have a sex drive and I don't think I should. A cancer diagnosis, on top of major surgery, on top of the trauma (mental and physical) I've experienced over the past month, plus instant menopause....it just doesn't make sense to me. I guess the only thing I can do is take it day by day, right?

Accept and appreciate that sex drive woman! It's good to hear you're feeling so positive :smile:

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Commiserations on the loss of your organs, it's one thing to go into the op knowing that it is going to happen and quite another to just have it landed on you like that.

Congratulations on the prognosis. I think you're showing a great attitude, seeing it that way - it'll serve you well. Don't be scared to let yourself grieve, though - you're only human and I expect it's been a shock.

On the sex drive, I agree with the poster above who said the brain is the most important part of sex drive. If you want to maintain your drive you are already a long way towards doing so.

I don't know why, but it didn't really cross my mind. I guess I just thought of posing the question about sex drive here because this forum is so open about these issues. Thanks. :)

I've pm-ed you a link to a place where there's plenty to read and where you'll find a supportive attitude if you choose to post.

Best of luck.

HiddenLacey

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I have to second AE's huggle :eek:) Your such a great lady! I'm glad they caught it early and your prognosis is good. I would search the internet forums and look for a new physician if the one you have doesn't provide you with the information you think you need. Being comfortable with your physician is very important. I have just recently found a great holistic physician. Going to her has been the best medical move I think I have ever made. They do everything they can to keep patients off of synthetic medication. They work on your body and your mind. Haha can you tell I just think they are the bees-knees? Anyway I'll PM you a skit from the site on BHRT which is an alternative therapy. If you lived here I would reccommend you try this office because they are wonderful

Goodluck!

Last edited by a moderator: