Songs

someone2004uk

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
This is one of those questions that I always find hard to answer because it changes all the time.

for the moment at least the 2 most poinient songs for me have to be

Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Airplane over the Sea.
and
Rilo Kiley - With Arms Outstretched.

Without bringing to mood down to much, they helped me deal with my granddad's death about 7 weeks ago.

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by Pappy@Mar 20 2005, 09:06 PM
I know most of you don't remember Bob Seger, but his song Turn The Page is one with which I can identify.
[post=292429]Quoted post[/post]​

Don't remember Pete Seger? Don't you realise how often TBS and other cable channels air Risky Business? If we don't know any of his songs other than Old Time Rock 'N' Roll", at least we know that one.
*Slips on white briefs, white socks and grabs a candlestick*

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by DoubleMeatWhopper@Mar 21 2005, 04:08 PM
Don't remember Pete Seger? Don't you realise how often TBS and other cable channels air Risky Business? If we don't know any of his songs other than Old Time Rock 'N' Roll", at least we know that one.
*Slips on white briefs, white socks and grabs a candlestick*
[post=292673]Quoted post[/post]​

I'd like to see that! Incidentally, I know this was a brain-fart, cause you had all the other details right, but it's Bob Seger. Pete Seeger is the guy who sang "If I Had a Hammer" and "Where Have All The Flowers Gone?"

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by mindseye@Mar 21 2005, 09:28 PM
Incidentally, I know this was a brain-fart, cause you had all the other details right, but it's Bob Seger. Pete Seeger is the guy who sang "If I Had a Hammer" and "Where Have All The Flowers Gone?"

You're right, of course! I remember Where Have All The Flowers Gone? especially. But Pappy's post was about Bob Seger. Yes, I remember him.

yaoifun

Just Browsing
Media
Whenever songs resonate with me I'll usually have portions of it or if its short enought he whole thing in my sig. I don't update it too often, but I try! I just like music period, so mostly any song resonates with me (I do not consider rap and other certain types of "music" actualy music, but otherwise, I'm not that picky! ^_^)

BuffMusicIdol

Just Browsing
Media
Well, (sigh...)
I've read what you all written, and I feel a lot of emotions about all of them. One of the killers in high school (mid 70s) was "Daniel" by Elton John. That's my name, and I was in a pretty rough situation, and I thought a lot about dying then. But there were some things that inspired me, too, and some of those were classical pieces. At 17, I studied Bach, and began to imitate Bach's compositions in my own music. I also imitated other composers. The funnest thing I ever did in early college life was a Mozartian sonata on "Mary Had a Little Lamb." I wrote that when I was almost 19 and got a standing ovation in my theory class when I played it. I wrote it Sunday night and played Monday morning. It was fun. I aced the class because of it. (Just because I understood sonata allegro form.)

I love some of the standard classics like Beethoven's 9th, Dvorak's "New World", and a host of others. I find them extremely inspiring and there are many that are incredibly seductive.

I've written some country western, and that was fun, too. I'm working on a fourth stage musical, and I like the styles I'm working in. When it comes to music, I'm not much of a snob. I listen to metal and punk and country while I'm driving. I like oldies. My son grew up on classical, and everything else. Now he writes metal/classical/punk fusion stuff for guitar, and I'm AMAZED and love it. I'm cheap AND easy. (A music slut???)

One of my favorites recently is a song I wrote for my wife that was sung at our wedding last June. (Second marriage for both of us.) Lots of meaning in it for us. But that will fade as most important as I listen to other things, and continue with life. But I'm glad for it's place in our lives.

My favorite country western memory is a song I have no idea who wrote or sang, but in the 60s we heard (and I still sing with a drawl):

I don't care if it rains or freezes
'Long as I got my plastic Jesus
Mounted on the dashboard of my car.

If you can name that tune, please let me know who wrote and sang it. I've always wanted to be able credit it accurately.

Fun thread. Thanks.

Buff

Cart2579

Just Browsing
Media
I am a also a big fan of "In your eyes", but the one song that always hits me when ever I hear it, it always reminds me of this one woman that I had never felt closer too. She was a very unique woman that will always hold a special place in my heart. The song: Say Goodbye, by Dave Matthews Band

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by BuffMusicIdol@Mar 22 2005, 03:07 AM
My favorite country western memory is a song I have no idea who wrote or sang, but in the 60s we heard (and I still sing with a drawl):

I don't care if it rains or freezes
'Long as I got my plastic Jesus
Mounted on the dashboard of my car.

If you can name that tune, please let me know who wrote and sang it. I've always wanted to be able credit it accurately.

Voilà! http://www.commonplacebook.com/songs/plasticjesus.shtm

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Yanno, that reminds me of Andres Serrano's "Piss Christ", largely intended as a parody of the commercialization of Christianity, though many didn't see it as such. (Here's a clue for any aspiring artists: If you're not offending SOMEBODY, you're not trying hard enough.)

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I could list hundreds of songs that resonate with me, without pausing to catch my breath.

One that really amazes me, lyrically, though, is Changing Opinion, by Paul Simon. On the surface, it's simply a song about a noise -- and two people speculating about what it might be. Over the course of the evening, their speculations get more grandiose. And the idea that something as simple as the hum of a refrigerator could be given a deeper meaning inspires me.

Gradually, we became aware
of a hum in the room
an electrical hum in the room
It went mmmmmm.

We followed it from corner to corner.
We pressed out ears against the walls. [...]

Maybe it's the hum of a calm refrigerator cooling on a big night?
Maybe it's the hum of our parents' voices long ago in soft light?
Maybe it's the hum of changing opinion or a foreign language in prayer?
Maybe it's the mantra of the walls and wiring deep breathing in soft air?

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by someone2004uk@Mar 21 2005, 01:33 AM
This is one of those questions that I always find hard to answer because it changes all the time.

and

Without bringing to mood down to much, they helped me deal with my granddad's death about 7 weeks ago.
[post=292484]Quoted post[/post]​

OMG, I love Rilo Kiley! I actually wrote a parody of "Better Sons and Daughters" that came out pretty funny. Good musical choices, guy!

B_hungrick

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
When I was a little baby my mom used to play Joni Mitchel's "Court and Spark". So that music is deep in my mind. I think I have it all memorized.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
What are my favorites?

"Cry Me a River" as done by Julie London on her 1957 album ( not to be confused with Justin Timberlake's ditty of the same name)

"How long has this been going on "and "Spring can really hang you up the most" as sung by Patti Austin on her "The Real me " album

"Nessum Dorma" from Turnadot as sung by Thomas Young of Cook, Dixon and Young

"Make them Hear you" as sung by Roderick Dixon from "Ragtime"

"Here's to Life" as sung by Shirley Horn

"I aint gonna let you break my heart again"," I need a real man", and "Love me like a man" as sung by Bonnie Raitt

I will add more as they come to me...

Naughty

D_that's a tall order

Account Disabled
Media
There is a song by Shelleyan Orphan entitled "Muddied Up" which provided the backdrop to a brief but lovely two-week affair I had at the end of my Junior year in college.

The refrain is as follows:

Just as I begin to stop
It all begins again.
It's just like waking up with my eyes shut.

It is an odd little song, but with a haunting melody and persistent drumline that was just perfect for a "last-chance-before-we-never-see-each-other-again" college fling.

The album is hard to find, but it is called Humroot and I highly recommend it.

D_that's a tall order

Account Disabled
Media
Originally posted by madame_zora+Mar 22 2005, 08:38 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(madame_zora &#064; Mar 22 2005, 08:38 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-someone2004uk@Mar 21 2005, 01:33 AM

and

Without bringing to mood down to much, they helped me deal with my granddad&#39;s death about 7 weeks ago.
[post=292484]Quoted post[/post]​

OMG, I love Rilo Kiley&#33; I actually wrote a parody of "Better Sons and Daughters" that came out pretty funny. Good musical choices, guy&#33;
[post=292888]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

Mme. Z, you live in the southwestern Ohio area...do you by any chance listen to 97X, WOXY? Quite possibly the best alternaitve radio station in the world&#33; I know they ar eno longer on the air, but they broadcast live on the internet at WOXY.com. Definitely worth checking out if you are a fan of Rilo Kiley and other great alt rock bands.

By the way, would love to chat Ohio with you sometime.

jeepwranglerboi

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Well, I&#39;ve said it before and I&#39;ll say it again, my life is a living soundtrack. I associate music with almost every impact full event in my life. I can hear a song and it just takes me back to a moment in time and it&#39;s like I am living it all over again. As far as songs and relationships go, each relationship I&#39;ve been in has had it&#39;s song or two, or three, etc. Whenever I hear or sing &#39;What More Can I Say?&#39; from Falsettos I cannot help but that tinge of love and caution that makes a relationship. Such a beautiful song.

It&#39;s been hot also very sweet and I&#39;m not usually indiscreet but when he sparkles the earth begins to sway.
What more can I say?
How can I express how confused am I by our happiness?
I can&#39;t eat breakfast.
I cannot tie my show.
What more can I do?

If I said I love him you might think my words come cheap.
Let&#39;s just say I&#39;m glad he&#39;s mine awake, asleep.

It&#39;s been hot also it&#39;s been swell.
More than not, it&#39;s been more than words can tell.
I halt.
I stammer.
I sing a roundelay.
What more can I say?

I&#39;ll stay calm.
Untie my tongue.
And try to stay both kind and young.

I was taught never brag or shout.
Still it&#39;s hot just like how you read about.
And also funny and never too uncouth.
That&#39;s the simple truth.

Can you tell I have been revived?
It&#39;s so swell.
Damn it, even I&#39;m surprised.
We laugh.
We stumble.
We take it day by day.
What more can I say?

someone2004uk

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Originally posted by madame_zora@Mar 22 2005, 08:38 AM
OMG, I love Rilo Kiley&#33; I actually wrote a parody of "Better Sons and Daughters" that came out pretty funny. Good musical choices, guy&#33;

LoL, that&#39;s something I&#39;d like to hear&#33; My procrastination made me miss a them playing a few weeks back with bright eyes. I reallly should start being more pro-active with getting gig tickets.

BuffMusicIdol

Just Browsing
Media
DMW, you are amazing as usual. Thanks. Now a hallmark in my memory has real credit.
What a lyric&#33;

I guess I really didn&#39;t answer about songs that move because I was too busy musing. I think for me there are too many to list--somewhat like Mindseye.

But thanks for tolerating my ramblings and musings.

funnyfeet

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I hate almost all of Christina Aguileras music- exept one song and it is one of the most powerful I have ever heard. She gets away from the feminist girl power crap and actually shows emotion. ITs called walk away, and while the lyrics- see below- might seem juvenile, its incredible when you hear her voice. She knows what shes singing about, and we have all been there. Of course it will never be a single, it doesnt really fit her "cant hurt me" image

Heres the lyrics, but i reccomend listening, b/c it will blow your mind

It hurts my soul
Cos I can&#39;t let go
All these walls are caving in
I can&#39;t stop my suffering
I hate to show that I&#39;ve lost control
Cos I, I keep going right back
To the one thing that I need...

I&#39;m about to break
I guess I missed it
I&#39;m addicted to your lure
And I&#39;m feeling for a cure
Every step I take
Leads to one mistake
I keep going right back
To the one thing that I need...

I can make it
It&#39;s some state I&#39;m in
Getting nothing everytime
What did I do to deserve
The pain of this moment
And everywhere I turn
I keep going right back
To the one thing that I need to walk away from

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by someone2004uk+Mar 24 2005, 10:23 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(someone2004uk &#064; Mar 24 2005, 10:23 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-madame_zora@Mar 22 2005, 08:38 AM

LoL, that&#39;s something I&#39;d like to hear&#33; My procrastination made me miss a them playing a few weeks back with bright eyes. I reallly should start being more pro-active with getting gig tickets.
[post=293754]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

Sadly, I&#39;ve never seen them live either, though Bright Eyes wouldn&#39;t have been much of a draw for me. I&#39;ll see if I can find the song, it was about an abused girlfriend who kills her boyfriend, dismembers him, and keeps his body parts around the house because she just can&#39;t let go. Pretty funny stuff.

I&#39;ve also been getting into the Mars Volta lately, lots of good stuff coming in from the indie front.

Wilson, I was a huge devotee of 97X, there&#39;s still a fledgeling radio station broadcasting from there (or at least there was a few months ago), but since I&#39;m not there anymore I don&#39;t know. Ohio&#39;s lucky enough to have a pretty healthy music scene for being such a boring place.