The "American Idols" Butcher The Beatles (Two weeks in a row, even!)

hotbtminla

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
A quick word about originality: David Cook is catching some heat because some of his versions can be traced to other bands. If he did indeed base his performance on these versions, then he should make the citations. But I don't think he should be otherwise beat up about it. Most of the performances we see on AI are based on the original artists, often to the (mismatched) contestants' detriment. I don't know for sure just how big the pool is each week for the contestants to choose from (for the Beatles, it was only 25 songs for the first week), but the impression I get is that the contestants have a zillion restrictions on their song choices. We should be delighted whenever they're able to do anything interesting with a song selection in the abbreviated time they have.

Kevbo - I agree with what you're saying. My own criticism of Cook's "originality" has been directed less at him personally than at the judges. I've given him credit from the get-go for identifying off-beat arrangements for songs that suit him really well. He clearly has a good ear for what he can do well and what's his style.

He's not the first person to do this. This season alone David A's "Got to Get You Into My Life" used the Stevie Wonder version as a template (which the judges acknowledged); same with Jason's using the Jeff Buckley version of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah." Cook's "Billie Jean" was the first one in which they announced beforehand that he would do the Chris Cornell version. I have to imagine that was in response to the criticism the show was getting from the more obscure alt-rock/emo bands whose versions of "Eleanor Rigby" and "Hello" Cook had already covered and appeared to be given total credit for by the judges. I don't think he's trying to pass them off as his own, but the judges are declaring them "his own." And since the majority of the people who watch AI are probably just as unfamiliar with indie rock as the judges clearly are, its disingenuous to everyone involved.

I do enjoy watching his performances, and I love that an untraditional pop star could do really well this year (and agree that if Michael keeps his shit together like he did this week he'll give him a run for his money). But I get bent out of shape when Randy/Paula/Simon fire bolts of sunshine up his ass for being taking a risk with a different arrangement - Randy even said last week he's "the most original contestant we've ever had" - after he does a very, very good performance of an offbeat cover of a song I have sitting in my iTunes. If they continue to cite his references it will cool my jets, though I am still waiting to see him pull one these arrangements out of his ass and blow my mind. Then I'll be truly impressed. And I think he has it in him, because he clearly knows what sounds good to him and for him, and he is a musician.

This week is country week. No telling if they're just working with the Dolly catalog or no, but I've already got $20 down that Cook is going to do the White Stripes version of "Jolene." :cool:

yngjock20

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
^^And you're probably right. Let's just hope the preteens don't scream over Seacrest's intro so that we don't hear that it's actually a cover of a cover.

BTW, Syesha(sp?) sang "Got to get you Into My Life" and David A sang "We Can Work It Out." Also, all the contestants that covered covers said that they were doing covers of covers in their video clips. David's the only one that didn't mention it any time that he did it. He actually touts his creativity in the clips which plays more to his sly intelligence than his inability to make unique arrangements.

I'm just pissed because, as an avid Christy Lee Cook hater, this week is actually going to work out for her.

If anyone watched Idol Chat when Chikieze was cut (not that I always watch it...because I don't) it was really awkward watching him up there fielding questions when it was obvious that all he wanted to do was roll up in a ball and cry.

hotbtminla

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
^^And you're probably right. Let's just hope the preteens don't scream over Seacrest's intro so that we don't hear that it's actually a cover of a cover.

BTW, Syesha(sp?) sang "Got to get you Into My Life" and David A sang "We Can Work It Out." Also, all the contestants that covered covers said that they were doing covers of covers in their video clips. David's the only one that didn't mention it any time that he did it. He actually touts his creativity in the clips which plays more to his sly intelligence than his inability to make unique arrangements.

I'm just pissed because, as an avid Christy Lee Cook hater, this week is actually going to work out for her.

If anyone watched Idol Chat when Chikieze was cut (not that I always watch it...because I don't) it was really awkward watching him up there fielding questions when it was obvious that all he wanted to do was roll up in a ball and cry.

My bad in re Syesha.

In re Ms Cook - her unexpectedly shrewd choice of "God Bless the USA" last week convinced me she's going to sail through again this week by standing on stage and reading the Gettysburg Address. :biggrin1:

Kevbo

Sexy Member
Media
h.b.i.l.a.: I hear you on the snarky cluelessness of the judges. (I was really surprised that they didn't know "You're the Voice", an international hit that was covered by Idol favorite Heart -- whose video wasn't shown on MTV, I think due to footage with abortion rights protests on it.)

I am wondering, too, what Dolly Parton song will be emo-ized by Mr. Cook this week... there's actually a pretty kewl song by Dolly called "Potential New Boyfriend" (YouTube - Dolly Parton - "Potential New Boyfriend" Music Video) that could probably be regendered and rocked up a little. (It would've been perfect for the Chikezie.) Here's hoping...

BTW, I predict that Kristy Lee will overestimate her safety this week, go through the motions on something like "Two Doors Down", and be gone.

Kev