Drop In Gym Attendance Due To Coronavirus

Anyone else notice number of people in the gym drop in the last two weeks. I am estimating about 15-20 percent drop in the two gyms I workout at.

So, I am guessing people want to avoid coronavirus. Gyms can be easy places to catch colds because of two reasons:

1. People touching all the weights and equipment
2. Gym staff are not cleaning good enough

Any other input?

I bring my own anti bacterial wipes and gloves for weights. But all gyms have recently closed bro

coxslover

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Like the rest of you, I miss going to the gym but I’m doing what I can to stay in shape. It’s not only important for looks and how it makes me feel, but keeping my immunity up is vital right now. I’ve been getting out on my bike on most days, taking lots of walks and runs in the neighborhood, and using my 20 and 25 pound dumbbells at home. I’m glad I kept them, they were under my sofa where I last used them years ago! I usually eat pretty healthy anyway, but I’m upping that as well, mostly real, whole, fresh foods. I even brought home some wheatgrass plants to add to my usual morning smoothie. I’m trying to use this strange time as another chance to stay and keep healthy. Stay safe everyone.

Jeffboy_au

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Just so you have a picture of it,- here in Aust, all gyms, swimming pools and the like are totally closed for the duration of the pandemic! As are other places like movie theatres. Even in public, the maximum density is one person for each 4 square metres.

bought some bands to allow a few more exercises at home.
Limitations are frustrating, but working out nude is liberating!

TrekkerTroi93

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Do you work out nude at home?
If not, it might increase your motivation if you tried.
That’s an interesting point. I’ll probably never work out in the nude (I’m too self conscious to even be naked with myself), but I do feel more motivation whenever I work out at home while wearing a tank top that shows my biceps. (seeing results is motivating)

I miss the eye candy of the gym—not only is it hot to see the jocks work out, I also want to look like that, so I feel more motivated to lift more. Now, I’m worried I’m gonna lose my gains. :-(

Reactions: str8cmtl

That’s an interesting point. I’ll probably never work out in the nude (I’m too self conscious to even be naked with myself), but I do feel more motivation whenever I work out at home while wearing a tank top that shows my biceps. (seeing results is motivating)

I miss the eye candy of the gym—not only is it hot to see the jocks work out, I also want to look like that, so I feel more motivated to lift more. Now, I’m worried I’m gonna lose my gains. :-(
I always wear a sleeveless shirt at the gym, no shirt when exercising at home and usually no shorts either.

At least another 4 weeks where I live. The provincial government just extended the shut down until then at the soonest. I hate it, but I understand why it’s so important.

Reactions: str8cmtl
D

deleted1074483

I miss the gym badly and I have zero equipment here at home.
there's lots of body weight stuff you can do without 'equipment' but just utilising the stuff you've around the house? lots on the internet around what to do.

bravodeltalima

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Now I've been forced to go out running on the roads and have discovered that I really quite like it, I can imagine that I might not be back to the gym for a while, even when they eventually reopen (and FWIW I reckon they'll be one of the last places that does, what with all those people huffing and puffing in a confined indoor space, it's almost tailor-made for spreading the Plague.)

I guess when they are available again then I'll have to weigh up two considerations: how much danger there still is from the virus, versus the desire to enjoy a bit of eye candy again! Well, that and the fact that I'm very keen that this whole episode doesn't result in my becoming a sort of a hermit.

In the meantime, I feel fitter possibly than I've ever done before with all this running, but I think my feeble efforts to bulk up a bit are toast. I do have a book of bodyweight exercises to try out, but I'm not sure I can be arsed TBH.

Now I've been forced to go out running on the roads and have discovered that I really quite like it, I can imagine that I might not be back to the gym for a while, even when they eventually reopen (and FWIW I reckon they'll be one of the last places that does, what with all those people huffing and puffing in a confined indoor space, it's almost tailor-made for spreading the Plague.)

I guess when they are available again then I'll have to weigh up two considerations: how much danger there still is from the virus, versus the desire to enjoy a bit of eye candy again! Well, that and the fact that I'm very keen that this whole episode doesn't result in my becoming a sort of a hermit.

In the meantime, I feel fitter possibly than I've ever done before with all this running, but I think my feeble efforts to bulk up a bit are toast. I do have a book of bodyweight exercises to try out, but I'm not sure I can be arsed TBH.
I have been using body weight and exercise bands at home. Not as good as the gym but better than nothing.
When my gym reopens, I will be reluctant to go back because I will have to be dressed to exercise.
At home I am always shirtless and usually nude when I exercise!

Reactions: bravodeltalima

ericbear

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I miss the gym badly and I have zero equipment here at home.

I was in the same situation. Granted, I'm a tired old man, and not looking to build my body, but exercise is still necessary for good general health. I was a very fat mess most of my life, but saw the light and actually entered my 50's looking halfway decent-- I'd shed the weight (260 down to 180), and then had the upper body looking good. Unfortunately, I lost everything when I ruptured my bicep tendon (doing the housework, not in the gym), and had post-surgical complications, so the recovery went on for so long that I ended up fat with no arms again. It's not easy to grow it back (or loose the gut) as you get older (now pushing 60), so I decided I'm not about to loose such as I've gained back again. For a while I had some heavy landscaping projects to serve as a workout, but those are almost done, and it is going to be months before the gyms reopen here in California. But I had nothing at home, and was not about to pay $200+ bucks for a pair of dumbbells (incredible, but that's what they are going for on Ebay).

The sporting goods stores may sold out and closed, they gyms may be closed, but Home Depot and other building suppliers are sort of open. So, DIY cast concrete dumbbells it was, for under $20:

concrete1.JPG

I used 3 lb plastic tubs that low fat cottage cheese comes in (I consume a lot, and the plastic tubs are useful, so I wash and save them) for molds. Even with the densest standard concrete mix, they only made a pair of 20 lb dumbbells, but that's a start. They are a little bulky, since the usual cast iron is much denser than the concrete, but still quite usable. I'm looking to find something denser than the usual pebbles to mix into the concrete, to get a heavier set in the same size. There is a steel pipe cast into the concrete ends as the handle, although at this weight, much cheaper PVC would have been strong enough to work (the steel pipe does add about a pound, though).

If you try this at home, note that it is necessary to anchor the pipe in place, not just stick it in the wet concrete, or the end may fly off. I drilled and threaded a couple of bolts in an X through the end of each pipe, as seen below at the red arrow. Obviously, you cast one end at a time, then flip everything over to do the other end.

bolt.jpg

Now I'm working on a barbell. Even with the concrete mix I have, I calculate that if I use the big jars that 5 lbs of protein powder comes in, filled with concrete, as the weights, with a pipe bar in the middle, I'll get about 100 lbs. That will have to do for bench press. I'll probably make another, a little lighter, for curls. Or, since the pipe is the most expensive part, maybe make the concrete weights interchangeable, like a real bar...