Grammar Police (What ticks you off?)

FRE

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Loose instead of lose.

That is one of several words which are easily confused. Others are stationery vs stationary and principal vs principle. I don't always get them right myself.

The inconsistencies in English create problems. Sometimes I am unsure whether to use "s" or "z" as in "ize" or "ise". The fact that there are two ways to pronounce "s" is the problem; sometimes it is pronounced like "z" in which case spelling would make more sense if "z" were used instead of "s".

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
That is one of several words which are easily confused. Others are stationery vs stationary and principal vs principle. I don't always get them right myself.

The inconsistencies in English create problems. Sometimes I am unsure whether to use "s" or "z" as in "ize" or "ise". The fact that there are two ways to pronounce "s" is the problem; sometimes it is pronounced like "z" in which case spelling would make more sense if "z" were used instead of "s".

Easy squeezy.

The principal is your pal at school.

You lose the extra 'o'.

The 'e' in stationery is for when you use paper instead of an e-vite.

9 A.M. in the morning, as if it could be 9 A.M. in the afternoon.
That is for use by people such as myself, and it makes perfect sense to me.
9am IN THE (fkin) MORNING o_O. Or, *groan* 9am in the morning :confused:. Sometimes even 9aminthemorning:mad:.

"ise" or "ize" are sometimes different in English and American spellings, often either is acceptable.

FRE

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
American versus British. What ticks you off about either?

American English is not consistent where the article "the" is concerned. Thus, we should not become irked about British use of that article.

We say, "He is in the hospital.".

We also say, "He is in jail." or "He is in prison.", but we say, "He is in the hoosegow.".

In Minnesota, as you no doubt know, people will say, "We are going to the lake for the weekend." even though there are more than 10,000 lakes in Minnesota.

I prefer the way the British use quotation marks. I ignore the usual way quotation marks are used in American English and try to use them in the way they make the most sense.

For some languages there is a commission to keep the language regular and to ensure that needed changes make sense. English has no such commission the result being numerous irregularities.

Here in California the local media "anchors", and I use that word lightly, mispronounce words frequently. Some examples: distribute becomes distrib...calculate is calcoolate...memory is memry...police is poooolice...nursery is nusry...mountain is mounton....

Neller

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Here in California the local media "anchors", and I use that word lightly, mispronounce words frequently. Some examples: distribute becomes distrib...calculate is calcoolate...memory is memry...police is poooolice...nursery is nusry...mountain is mounton....

Aren't those are more like examples of an accent than mispronounciation?

"I think that maybe a rock."

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, it could be or may be, be that as it may.

If it's a rock, does it have soul?

Only if you add, the rock to a roll.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Fuzzy_