How many of LPSG members are nerds?

D_Johnson Withernads

Just Browsing
Media
Well I get that blank look of utter incomprehension sometimes, so I'm playing it safe and staying with the slight social ineptitude of a nerd.

I hate to say it but it's Friday night and I'm on my bloody laptop! That's got to count for something.

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
This also looks instructive:

Nerd - Encyclopedia Dramatica

Encyclopedia Dramatica said:
A nerd is essentially an ugly, anthropophobic luser, often fat and/ or a basement-dweller, who is obsessed with and quite knowledgeable about a particular, non-mainstream hobby. In practice they are essentially like geeks, except that they are even less socially adjusted. Thus, unlike geeks, nerds are notoriously easy to pick out of a crowd — one need only listen for the person who is prattling on endlessly about a subject of little interest to anyone else, or who only wears t-shirts that they purchased at last week's convention. They also just so happen to fail it at socializing (except perhaps with other attendees of said convention).They are not neutral at Mudkipz and the most of all,they are 100% offended in ED (nerds have no lulz).

D_Johnson Withernads

Just Browsing
Media
Originally Posted by Encyclopedia Dramatica
A nerd is essentially an ugly, anthropophobic luser, often fat and/ or a basement-dweller, who is obsessed with and quite knowledgeable about a particular, non-mainstream hobby. In practice they are essentially like geeks, except that they are even less socially adjusted. Thus, unlike geeks, nerds are notoriously easy to pick out of a crowd — one need only listen for the person who is prattling on endlessly about a subject of little interest to anyone else, or who only wears t-shirts that they purchased at last week's convention. They also just so happen to fail it at socializing (except perhaps with other attendees of said convention).They are not neutral at Mudkipz and the most of all,they are 100% offended in ED (nerds have no lulz).

Hmmmn. Can't say I like that description one little bit. Think I'm a long way from fitting it too, even if I may be an ugly bastard.

With that in mind I'm withdrawing and agreeing with CatchOfTheDay in #15 - I obviously can't be self proclaimed nerd. You guys can call me what you want though!

B_subgirrl

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
At my school anyone who wasn't popular, or at least tolerated by the popular people, was considered a nerd. We didn't have all the other not so cool categories that seem to exist in the US. I don't know if that's a general Aussie thing, or specific to my area.

YourAvgGuy

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
This has been an interesting, hilarious, and somewhat informative thread - although I do not know what information one would gleam other than the defintions provided, particularly about nerdism. I did learn, however, new variances of terms that I would have never associated with the term "nerd."

I must find different things to do with my time while students are on fall break! But thanks, anyway, for the chuckle! :)

g_whiz

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I read comics, play video games, love trivia and tend to find guys with glasses irresistible. One of my favorite temp jobs in life was working at a comic book store when I was a teenager. Geeks > most other types of guy imho