How old you look vs. how old you are

A

AM_092

It varies for me. I'm 20, and some think I look older and some think I look younger.

Though, people usually think I'm around 23-25. And I've been told I could pass for being young as 14.

NCbear

Superior Member
Media
Greensboro (North Carolina, United States)
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
When I was in my early teens, people thought I was 21 or older. When I was in my late teens, they thought I was in my middle 20s. I stayed there until I hit 35, when people started thinking I might be 30. Now that I'm 41, people think I might possibly be as old as 35. :tongue:

My parents are even more baby-faced: They've looked like they're in their late 30s or early 40s for three decades. Now that they're in their early 70s, they finally look like they might be around 55 and prematurely gray.

It hasn't tended to be a problem for me except when colleagues think I don't have the years of experience that I have and try to treat me with less respect accordingly. In fact, about five years ago a clueless man in a meeting referred to me as "being just out of school," meaning just a year or two beyond my undergraduate degree. To clarify what he meant by the comment, I asked him in front of everyone else just how old he thought I was, and he said "about 25." I was amused and showed it and said "I'm almost a decade and a half older than you think I am." :smile: The level of respect in the room ratcheted up a notch or two after that. :tongue:

NCbear (who's a tall bearish man with boyish good looks, apparently :rolleyes: :biggrin1:)

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
If someone asks your age, just say, 'old enough'. Unless you are getting carded.

Nowadays I see lots of folks who look and dress like teenagers but when they turn around they have faces older than mine. Unless someone is completely gray haired it's hard to tell anymore.

Just interact with people as individuals who may or may not get along with you, regardless of age. It will help you sidestep your anxiety.

Rob_81

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm 21 and people tell me they think I'm like 18 or 19. But on the other hand, I have had one person say I look 25 so I don't know, wtf... As a matter of fact, one time when I WAS 19, I was at a mall and a mall cop thought I was skipping school! XD

hungthickone

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
^^ like Lux said, I too have a baby face, am 27, but I'm often mistaken for much younger, on top of that? I get ID'd at 90% of the establishments I visit.

There's pro's and cons of being in my position, depends on how you look at it.

try gettin ID'd till your 40 then get back to me, you'll be lovin it

Enid

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I look roughly 10 years younger than I actually am

I'm certainly not unhappy about it

I've never even thought of trying to actually pass myself OFF as 10 years younger though. In fact I'm more apt to occasionally for fun increase my age by 5 years or so and watch people's jaws drop when I tell them I'm in my 40s (actually, another couple months and it'll be true!)

:biglaugh:

Last edited:

yoursgetsmine

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Look, people with straight hair have it curled, people with curled hair have it straightened, white people that are pale try to tan,black people try to fade if too dark, younger looking people want to look older, older looking people want to look younger, bald people want hair, and people with hair shave their heads, women with big boobs want smaller boobs, women with small boobs want bigger boobs, guys with small dicks want bigger dicks and guys with huge dicks want...(gotcha because they're happy with big dicks).....so it's apparent that most of us are looking for some type of change and can't seem to accept ourselves for what/who we are....the mystery of man I suppose. Be glad you look younger and just hope that it lasts....but your body WILL age and looking young won't change that fact at all......so you see, you will show your age and people will think you're a young person who is not in good shape and still make fun of you!

Daisy

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Its funny how almost everyone says they look younger. I am no different, I tell people how old I am and they usually don't believe me. Most people assume I'm the same age as my BF (who is 29). I also have very small kids so maybe thats part of it. I do think that most people look, act and dress younger than in generations past so it's probably natural for people to assume you're younger. I wear pretty stylish clothes and I try to keep up with trends as far as my hairstyle etc so it's all part of the big picture. Age is nothing but a number anyway.