If the election were today who would you vote for?

Who would you support in the election?

• Al Gore

Votes: 46 14.9%
  • Barack Obama

Votes: 62 20.1%
  • Jeb Bush

Votes: 19 6.2%
  • John Kerry

Votes: 13 4.2%
  • John McCain

Votes: 28 9.1%
  • Hillary Clinton

Votes: 86 27.9%
  • Rudy Giuliani

Votes: 54 17.5%

• Total voters

pianoguy

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I find Barack Obama (who, incidentally, is already older than JFK was when elected president) to be an incredibly articulate, passionate, thoughtful, honest, and appealing guy. Oops, I guess that disqualifies him right there.

Apparently I have to wait another 8 or 12 years--sufficient time for him to become cynical and corrupt enough to be an "experienced" politician--before he can be considered "electable" as president.

Meanwhile, Bush was somehow considered "presidential" enough to be elected twice (or, depending on your viewpoint, only once) because of his "experience" as one of the worst governors ever.

Am I missing something here?:confused:

socoken

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Maybe our country is ready for a woman to be prez, but is the rest of the world? Would we be taken seriously by less modern countries?

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Ask Chile (Michelle Bachelet), Germany (Andrea Merkel), and Liberia (Helen Johnson Sirleaf) why they just recently elected their female presidents.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
big dirigible said:
Re poll ratings, keep in mind that even if he could walk on water, no president will ever have ratings higher than the percentage he was elected by - those who voted against him when he was elected will always regard him as the spawn of the devil.

BD, where do you get these crappy ideas from? Your self-confidence is extraordinary ... but where the fuck does it come from?
Probably the polling histories of most presidencies disprove this imbecilic notion.

i'm a noob but i would like to tell my opinion. it doesn't matter. i'm a very open minded traditionalist (if you can figure that one out, lol), but since so many political decisions depend on special interest groups, MONEY, and even personal interest; i have a difficult time believing any of these guys/girls when they say anything. Despite a few key differences; ie abortion, gay marriage, and the "war on terror", i don't think there's that much difference between parties since not many politicians stick to their true beliefs at all. I would love to find someone that offers a happy medium of my personal beliefs but i don't think that type of person will have the opportunity to run anytime soon. Follow the money and usually the answer will lie there, buried deep beneath red tape and political mumbo jumbo. I will always believe that people will choose to live the way they want to no matter who's in office or what the "laws" say, so vote for who you think will be the best person to lead this country and live your life the best way you know how, no matter who you voted for. it makes sense to me in my little world, so please don't blast me.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
jdmjr671 said:
i'm a noob but i would like to tell my opinion. it doesn't matter. I will always believe that people will choose to live the way they want to no matter who's in office or what the "laws" say, so vote for who you think will be the best person to lead this country and live your life the best way you know how, no matter who you voted for. it makes sense to me in my little world, so please don't blast me.

Your sweetness is such that 1) no one could blast you, and 2) you're saying, in your latter remark, pretty obviously true stuff anyway. Who doesn't 'live your life the best way you know how, no matter who you voted for'? Essentially no one.

But I can't believe that the last five years would have rolled out the same way under a Gore presidency as they have (so disastrously) under the Bush presidency.

American politics are far more polarized than they used to be, and a suggestion that a choice between Democrats and Republicans is insignificant just doesn't hold much water in my (Canadian, and therefore not fully relevant) view.

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
THERE ARE HUGE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE DNC AND GOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let alone the huge differences between everyday Reps and Dems, like night and day!

Pumblechook

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
No one,

It is best to stay out of politics. All it does is tear people apart from one another. And if you are in politics, all your effort brings is the deceit of those in higher positions who are paranoid of your success.

Oh, and I see thus far that Hilary Clinton is the #1 vote getter.. which reminds me of something that my grandpa said about a year ago... "If Hilary's elected, I'm moving to Mexico." And having been on vacation to Mexico twice, I believe I'm going with him :biggrin1:

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I dont like any of the candidates in this poll To the left or right. I think they are all a bunch of losers. Im so sick of being lied to,and over taxed its disgusting I think we should put them all on a bus and then push it over a cliff.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
So I guess most everyone has heard by now that Obama has reversed himself and is now considering a '08 presidential election bid. I hate politics in this country and I hate politicians in general, but this guy gives me at least a glimmer of hope, just from the little bit that I know about him. He seems to genuinely want to reach across party lines and accomplish something good, hopefully it's not just an act like Bush back in 2000.
I think it would be really interesting to see an Obama ticket in '08 with a moderate Republican or independent as his running mate... maybe McCain or Giuliani? Anybody agree? I just detest that politics anymore seem to be about winning elections and nothing more. This "us versus them" mentality makes me sick.

Incidentally, it's no surprise that Hillary would be leading the polls at this site... but even if dubyah brought about the Apocalypse sometime in the next two years I still don't think that she would have a snowball's chance in hell of winning a presidential election. If a woman is going to be elected president in this country it's going to have to be someone with broad appeal, not someone as polarizing and widely reviled as Hillary. It would probably have to be a conservative cantidate as well since in general liberals are more likely to vote for a woman. If the Democrats push her through the primaries (which she may well win, as she is at least fairly popular among Democrats), they'll be shooting themselves in the foot.

D_Prudence_Admonition_Drightits

Experimental Member
Media
There was a light hearted joke being passed around the work place today, it said (paraphrasing):

Why do we hold the elections in early November? It gives us time to pick out the next turkey.

Anyway, in spite of the choices, I will still get out to vote. It's like picking the lesser of two evils. Even the good one that go in straight, come out crooked.

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I think Kerry's comments last night will mark the end of his 08 run.

Nah. If "Macaca" didn't end George Allen's, this won't end Kerry's. That said, I think Kerry's chances at getting the 2008 nomination are very low regardless.

Onslow

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I sttill can't figure why anybody would vote for Hillary since she recently said that she doesn't support gay marriage. Her comments came with the New York State discussion on gay marriage. Hillary commented that she is okay with civil unions but not gay marriage. She went on to say that she would support the ruling if gay marriage is legislated. Now I need to ask doesn;t that seem somewhat two sided? Anywaay the point is how can all the queers here support this woman for anything when she clearly does not support any real rights for queers?

Yes my name is Otis and I might be a queer--at least when I'm sober.

dems08

Loved Member
Media
Nah. If "Macaca" didn't end George Allen's, this won't end Kerry's. That said, I think Kerry's chances at getting the 2008 nomination are very low regardless.

It may mark the end of his <Allen> time in the us senate. Webb is ahead in the latest polls.