Mental Health

D

deleted5791141

What if yr not spiritual?

spiritual doesn’t necessarily mean religious. <shrug> I’m not religious at all, but do connect with Mother Nature often. That’s my church - being outdoors on hikes and whatnot. That’s where I feel closest to my form of spiritualism. It will likely be different for everyone depending on what’s important to their beliefs.

Staysi

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have also experienced guilt and anxiety in the past.There are so many options out there to help you, cognitive behavioural therapy being one.I think comparing one's self to others in today's society is so common with everyone's lives on show.This can make us feel like we are not enough or are not where we shoud be which can be a cause of both guilt and anxiety.I hope you manage to find a counsellor you feel comfortable talking to :) @Staysi
Thank you :kissing_heart:

Reactions: deleted5614381

Just_Ryan

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I have been twice to consult a psychologist, unfortunately I do not have time to find a good psychologist and psychotherapy courses. I am neurotic and constantly nervous about the slightest thing, I live with constant anxiety and guilt. Sometimes the anxiety is tearing me apart.

I hope you find activities , hobbies, meditation, or just anything that helps reduce the constant attacks you experience. I can completely relate with dealing with my own demons. Maybe there’s some solace in at least knowing you’re not alone

Staysi

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I hope you find activities , hobbies, meditation, or just anything that helps reduce the constant attacks you experience. I can completely relate with dealing with my own demons. Maybe there’s some solace in at least knowing you’re not alone
Thank you :relieved: My salvation is the lack of free time, in this case there is no energy and time for unnecessary thoughts. I can't meditate :(

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Thank you :relieved: My salvation is the lack of free time, in this case there is no energy and time for unnecessary thoughts. I can't meditate :(

people are very fortunate as to the region of the world they belong/fortunate,to live in

thinking
when i first saw Russia,whie travelling by boat, from Kobe Japan, to Nakhodka Russia,to commence the Trans Siberian, 80s

viewing the desolation of the country even then

not suggesting it could be generational MH
but sad indeed
cant help thinking MH could be,a collective of many things,virtually inherited,to some degree

Reactions: deleted5614381

Just_Ryan

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I can relate there too. If I had the time, the space set up & environment, I’d probably meditate. I have found or created the time & space to do so. Nor do I find to many things that soothe me. Playing my bass always does. Was more of a suggestion as I’ve heard it’s wonderful when you can find a way to bring meditation into your life. I have yet to know. But, keep trying to find things that help your mind relax.

Reactions: Staysi

Staysi

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I can relate there too. If I had the time, the space set up & environment, I’d probably meditate. I have found or created the time & space to do so. Nor do I find to many things that soothe me. Playing my bass always does. Was more of a suggestion as I’ve heard it’s wonderful when you can find a way to bring meditation into your life. I have yet to know. But, keep trying to find things that help your mind relax.
Meditation doesn't help me because I can't abstract my thoughts and relax. Playing with a dog or socializing with a close friend usually helps relieve tension.
It's great when you find peace and relaxation with something. I wish you and everyone who reads this to find peace of mind and be happy.

D

deleted5614381

I know everyone's curcumstances are different but I think your mental health should take priority over everything as it affects every aspect of your life. Practicing stillness/meditation have always been useful to me bit I'm still far from 'zen'. I'm like a coiled spring some days o_O but we're all only human.

Reactions: Staysi

Just_Ryan

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Meditation doesn't help me because I can't abstract my thoughts and relax. Playing with a dog or socializing with a close friend usually helps relieve tension.
It's great when you find peace and relaxation with something. I wish you and everyone who reads this to find peace of mind and be happy.
I’ll simply say I agree. I can’t either. It was just a suggestion & wishes I hope you find more soothing things to help those really trying moments. I wish you & everyone the same.

Reactions: rbkwp and Staysi

Infernal

Superior Member
Media
Phoenix, Arizona, United States of America
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I took Paxil for depression in the early/mid-'90s. It kicked off some weird stuff in me that took me years to really identify. I eventually stopped taking it and due to the situation at the time, I wasn't able to step down from it gradually. I had weird visual distortions and brain fog for a while. It made me emotionally numb, which at the time was a good thing. A 'friend' fucked me over pretty hard and I probably would have snapped otherwise. Years later, after my mother died I realized I needed some help because I was overwhelmed by just about everything. I spoke with my physician and since Paxil had helped before I started a low dose of it with the intent to be on it a few months and then taper off. That lasted about 2 weeks. All the weird shit came back and I stopped taking it right away. Now that I'm older, the shit that life throws at me is easier to deal with. Though I do have to say... this year has tested me.

Started again today, she remininded me that mum dying in January wasnt long ago and suddenly losing your home and the woman you loved in such a violent way just adds to that loss :broken_heart: found going to work after was horrendous

michael_3165

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I truly believe we need to seriously look at the education system in the UK (from experience) and start investing in high quality, psycho-education for children and teenagers at a much younger age. In a world where so many people are self-harming, have anxiety and depression it seems common sense to equip young people with the tools needed to feel better about themselves nd the shitty world around us.

I would go so far as to say that there must be a legal requirement for schools to provide this education across all age ranges. We should be doing mindfulness in primary school. We should help kids understand their thoughts and feelings so they know what to "do" with them.

The problem is we now have a generation that believes being mildly unhappy is "mentally ill" and it simply isn't. Life is shit. It is hard. It is painful and full of suffering. We need people to accept this and develop the ability to cope with and make sense of it. From my experience it has gone from one extreme to another. From emotional constipation to emotional haemophilia. Now everyone has some sort of disorder, anxiety, panic, depression, PTSD, OCD... We need a middle ground.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
farmers,since time memorial
returned veterans
CV affected/or otherwise,currently
many many others,reasons,never really pursued by govts/authorities that cry 'concerned'

another of humanities major failings
whats important huh
DISGUSTING

michael_3165

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
farmers,since time memorial
returned veterans
CV affected/or otherwise,currently
many many others,reasons,never really pursued by govts/authorities that cry 'concerned'

another of humanities major failings
whats important huh
DISGUSTING

Is that haiku ha

DiamondJoe

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I truly believe we need to seriously look at the education system in the UK (from experience) and start investing in high quality, psycho-education for children and teenagers at a much younger age. In a world where so many people are self-harming, have anxiety and depression it seems common sense to equip young people with the tools needed to feel better about themselves nd the shitty world around us.

I would go so far as to say that there must be a legal requirement for schools to provide this education across all age ranges. We should be doing mindfulness in primary school. We should help kids understand their thoughts and feelings so they know what to "do" with them.

The problem is we now have a generation that believes being mildly unhappy is "mentally ill" and it simply isn't. Life is shit. It is hard. It is painful and full of suffering. We need people to accept this and develop the ability to cope with and make sense of it. From my experience it has gone from one extreme to another. From emotional constipation to emotional haemophilia. Now everyone has some sort of disorder, anxiety, panic, depression, PTSD, OCD... We need a middle ground.
Hmmm... possibly... speaking as one who has worked with people with severe and enduring mental health problems there's a couple of things going on here.

1/ that yes, as you say, some people do conflate a general disappointment that their life has not turned out as they wish with mental health problems, particularly depression. I have seen that.

2/ there's also quite a lot of really rather fucked up people around. The group above pale into insignificance when compared to the disturbed, lonely and forgotten MH sufferers who struggle to access basic services and a level of respect from fellow human beings. And that's not just people with formal MH diagnoses, I have seen it ever more prominently since I entered my 5th decade that people who were a bit odd or maladaptive in their youth fully bloom into properly fucked up people in their 40s with depression, anxiety disorders, OCD and the like. It is real. It's just the previously these issues or personal peculiarities were swept under the carpet.

3/ there has also been a major change in the way in which society views mental health problems. Time was that MH suffers were shunned, made fun of and left to rot. I for one think it is important and good to have discussions about mental health - it's not something to be ashamed of, or to repress and hide in a mental cupboard. Mental health is better discussed, confronted.

I am a firm believer that the majority of mental health problems do stem from trauma and people attempt to cope with it. I also think that how society - friends, family, wider community - treats the individual has a large impact on the progression of that person's mental health. If you are treated with love, tolerance and respect, you will respond in a positive fashion. If you are ridiculed, marginalised and told you are a freak, you will slip beyond "normal society".

We are used to discussing good physical health - the need to exercise, eat well and so-on - but we rarely talk about ways of achieving and maintaining good mental health.

As I woman I used to know once said, "We all have a touch of mental health - just depends on how in touch your are with it."

There for the grace of god go I.