Straight Guy's and Speedo's

Over-reaching

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm curious what other straight guys think of the whole speedo topic and if you currently don't wear one, would you if more guys did, or would you wear one only in certain circumstances, or never at all.
I wear a speed when I'm swimming seriously because they're the most comfortable for that.

It's true though that they don't really cover anything much up - they are just small slips of material that leave little to the imagination. I think I look good in one (and I've been told that by others too) but I'm aware that they are not always completely appropriate, so I tend to decide whether to wear one, say at the beach or at someone's pool, on the basis of what seems sensible and what others are wearing.

Reactions: beach_bud

chadexx

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
But why is it 'appropriate' to wear speedos on beaches throughout Europe but 'not appropriate' in the States. What does that say about the American mindset??

Over-reaching

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
But why is it 'appropriate' to wear speedos on beaches throughout Europe but 'not appropriate' in the States. What does that say about the American mindset??
I guess that's a cultural thing. Why is it appropriate for a woman to wear a short tight skirt and a skimpy top in one country but in another a woman is expected to cover herself from head to toe? That's an extreme example, of course, but there are lots of such cultural differences. In the case of broadly similar countries and cultures (such as western Europe, the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand), such differences can be quite hard to explain, it's true.

MuscleBoundMan

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
i swim for cardio in a jammer usually. sometimes a speedo depending on water temp. I hate long board shorts so i wear trunks that are about medium thigh on the beach. the wife would never let me out on a beach in a speedo. but i would wear one because i am completely comfortable in my own skin. when we travel places where a speedo or even less is the cultural norm she is cool with it. just a few months ago i swam naked all day every day at our resort in Madagascar. Most me did, most women were topless and she is good as long as that's what everyone else is doing. I loved it. the less the better, so if it was the normal thing here in the states then I definitely would

Reactions: nutsac64

hzs3fg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I can't think of anything more silly looking than a naked guy with "board shorts tan-lines."

These days, when I go to the beach I wear Speedos briefs with 1' sides and then cover up with loose fitting trunks with a 3" or so inseam. I leave the trunks on for walking around or going in the water (I don't really swim) but take them off to lay down and work on my tan. I do the same on our annual Caribbean cruise while aboard ship.

Back in the 80's when I lived in Fort Lauderdale I often wore a black thong to the beach. They were not unusual there at that time and I had the body for them.

svirken

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I do wear tight square cuts. I'm north European but some sort of shorts nominate now days beaches. However, our culture is not so discriminating if wanting to wear something tight but you're need some confidence to do that. In reality, large number of people don't really care.

D

deleted15807

I do not know where it comes from because we used to wear speedos all the time. I think we are going in a homophob society. Cannot wear briefs or speedos. I think personaly wearing boxers is like wearing shorts under shorts its rediculous. Everything is gay now.

In the U.S. anything that might indicate you actually have a dick is regarded as bad taste.

NIC160

Experimental Member
Media
I think Speedos look ridiculous and would never wear one unless I was training for the Olympics. So in other words, I would never wear one. I've gone swimming at nude beaches before, so it's not that I have any insurmountable aversion to seeing other people's asses or baby-making bits. I just think they look terrible and imagine they are horribly uncomfortable. If I'm going to wear a swim suit I prefer loose-fitting trunks that hang down to my knees, which are hard to find because I have very long legs. Normal sized trunks often mean that my dick ends up hanging out the bottom.

Reactions: Hatt_101

hzs3fg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I think Speedos look ridiculous and would never wear one unless I was training for the Olympics. So in other words, I would never wear one. I've gone swimming at nude beaches before, so it's not that I have any insurmountable aversion to seeing other people's asses or baby-making bits. I just think they look terrible and imagine they are horribly uncomfortable. If I'm going to wear a swim suit I prefer loose-fitting trunks that hang down to my knees, which are hard to find because I have very long legs. Normal sized trunks often mean that my dick ends up hanging out the bottom.

1) They are not the least bit uncomfortable. Quite the opposite, in fact.

2) On the right body, they do not look at all ridiculous.

Me thinks thou dost protest too much. Maybe you should try a pair before you come to such strong opinions.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DJAOVSU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

mako shark

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Lots of pictures of speedos in my gallery and even those swim jammers that I have transitioned too. Anyone that swims in board shorts is not a serious swimmer in my opinion.

NIC160

Experimental Member
Media
1) They are not the least bit uncomfortable. Quite the opposite, in fact.

2) On the right body, they do not look at all ridiculous.

Me thinks thou dost protest too much. Maybe you should try a pair before you come to such strong opinions.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DJAOVSU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

No thanks. Honestly, when I see men wearing them my first thought is that they look like some kind of EuroTrash/JerseyShore sleazeball. I know I shouldn't judge. But definitely not my style. And I've worn speedo-style briefs before. They were extremely uncomfortable. Maybe the swimsuit versions are magically more comfortable, but I can't see how. Don't care to find out. If you want to wear them, great. Whatever.

NIC160

Experimental Member
Media
Lots of pictures of speedos in my gallery and even those swim jammers that I have transitioned too. Anyone that swims in board shorts is not a serious swimmer in my opinion.

Yeah but aren't we talking about lounging around at the beach or poolside? I wouldn't expect to see a man wearing trunks at a competitive meet. And I wouldn't expect someone lounging at the beach to be worried about drag. It's two different worlds. I'm not a competitive swimmer. And IMO, if you aren't either, then it's very silly to wear speedos. If you ARE a competitive swimmer... then by all means... wear them.

Reactions: Hatt_101

mako shark

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
If I'm just sitting in a hot tub I wear boardshorts but if I'm lounging around the pool or swimming I do wear jammers and usually hike the up or take them off to get a better tan when laying out.

D

deleted15807

Normal sized trunks often mean that my dick ends up hanging out the bottom.

How is that possible? Every pair of swim trunks I've seen has a pouch in them to contain "the goods".

lovingu

Experimental Member
Media
Back in the day it was standard wear on the swim team, the beach, and community swimming pools without any kind of comment etc...

Then over the years it's become associated with perversion, being gay, laughable by everyone else as society has digressed. So much for freedom of choice. It's a shame really. Still worn on swim teams but always covered up when not actually swimming.

hckyfan03

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I lived in Germany for a couple years when I was in the military. I was pretty young like 19 and 20. I used to go swimming at one of the local swimming Pools. It was very interesting the way they had it set up. You paid your entrance fee and then they had a series of doors that actually were into a small one person dressing booth. When you go out the other side of the booth you were in the men's locker room / bathroom that then led out to the pool.

I didn't like changing in the little booth. Once I went through the booth and there was a couple doors that lead to a large sort of team locker area. I used to go in there to change.

Once I was in there getting ready to put on my bathing suit and then a swimming team came in, in their Speedo's and all joking around and got naked. It was quite a surprise.

Oxnard

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
When I was young and in shape I wore stuff like that. Now? No. Hell no. I wouldn't do that to other people.

Reactions: Brisler