Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Hey forum,

I'm in week three of adapting to the keto diet and I thought I'd pool some resources here and see if there's any new or fresh opinions and insights.

That is basically what I've been working from so far.
I'm still not the best at counting macros.

I lost water weight very fast, like 3 to 4 kgs. Then it's slowed down to a good rate. The sad part is I feel like my ass is half its usual size, but I am enjoying seeing my waist come in a little (the only other way to get a V shape other than building out the shoulders).

There is talk of a 'keto flu' as your body is deprived of sugar. I mostly feel flat and my libido has largely vanished. Apparently this can take 2 to 4 weeks to navigate through and adapt to the fat-burning system of ketones. I would like my horny back.

Reactions: bryantpau

Shofixti

LPSG Legend
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Key point is that relying on ketones for energy has nothing to do with the ketoacidosis that occurs in some extreme cases of diabetes.
Our heart muscles prefer keytones and fatty bodies as a fuel source over glucose.
1967 was the first publication showing that our brains can use ketone bodies as fuel, deriving two thirds of its energy from ketones and one third from glucose.

There is no dietary requirement for any carbohydrate as your body can manufacture glucose from fats.

Obese people who were put through two months of drastic fasting showed that they had no cognitive changes when their blood sugar was medically lowered (to a rate that could cause coma) because their brains were running off ketones.

Gestation and new born humans have ketone levels five times higher than adult humans - showing that retones as a fuel source is very natural and part of our lives from the very beginning.

Shofixti

LPSG Legend
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Mark speaks generally about self improvement and a 'primal' approach to getting the most out of life.
The evolutionary story of human diet is of storing and burning, but the modern food production system over plays our storage capacities (obesity) and limits the burning (sedentary).

HorseHung40's

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I wish you the best of luck on your quest to lose weight.

I have known two persons, who have followed ketotonic diets, and, have lost a lot of weight - so much so that I did recognize her, when I saw her after many months.

Sadly, both regained more weight than they lost. How did that happen?

Once the diet part of the journey ended, each one returned to her original diet and eating habits (eating out, too much snack or prepared foods).

Another person, whom I know, lost weight through a gastric bypass. He lost 100 lbs, and, has kept it off for four years. He said that he never tried to eat large portions of food again. He eats out only sporadically.

Good luck on you journey!

Reactions: Shofixti

Shofixti

LPSG Legend
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Once the diet part of the journey ended, each one returned to her original diet and eating habits (eating out, too much snack or prepared foods).

Yes indeed! Thomas DeLauer talks quite a bit about the vulnerabilities as well as the strengths of keto. It potentially leaves the body quite vulnerable to spikes in blood sugar, and it possibly incentivises fast fat storage when new glucose sources are added to the diet.

The discipline of keto has taught me to recognise that even though I have had an anti-sugar stance for many many years, my lack of vigilance allowed it to seep in from multiple extra sources: candy, milk, pastries, and such that I really could pack on kilos around my midsection even while being slim overall.

I think that if I modify the diet it will either be in two ways:

* Specific intake of carbs before and after gym workouts only
* Slight carb re-feeding in the form of beans, lentils and chick-peas being added to meals

Walking through the supermarket today was a refresher in just how mass-production of foods results in seduction of the consumer: after the 'smelly' fish aisle you are brought to the bakery section with the air alive with sugar. Entire aisles consist of carb dense products and so forth.

Last night I had two squares of very dark chocolate. Normally I would recoil from this, but for some reason even the bitterness could become a pleasure.

HorseHung40's

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Yes indeed! Thomas DeLauer talks quite a bit about the vulnerabilities as well as the strengths of keto. It potentially leaves the body quite vulnerable to spikes in blood sugar, and it possibly incentivises fast fat storage when new glucose sources are added to the diet.

The discipline of keto has taught me to recognise that even though I have had an anti-sugar stance for many many years, my lack of vigilance allowed it to seep in from multiple extra sources: candy, milk, pastries, and such that I really could pack on kilos around my midsection even while being slim overall.

I think that if I modify the diet it will either be in two ways:

* Specific intake of carbs before and after gym workouts only
* Slight carb re-feeding in the form of beans, lentils and chick-peas being added to meals

Walking through the supermarket today was a refresher in just how mass-production of foods results in seduction of the consumer: after the 'smelly' fish aisle you are brought to the bakery section with the air alive with sugar. Entire aisles consist of carb dense products and so forth.

Last night I had two squares of very dark chocolate. Normally I would recoil from this, but for some reason even the bitterness could become a pleasure.

I do not obsess over food and food types. I have followed these rules:
1.) Ensuring that I have movement for the burning of calories;
2.) Ensuring that I have sufficient sleep - something needed for weight loss and overall health;
3.) Ensuring that meals are self-prepared and balanced with sensible portion sizes.

I do eat grainy, whole wheat bread for fiber, but avoid pasta, because I cannot digest it. I don't smoke, use drugs or drink excessively. I do like something sweet, but, will brush my teeth after so as to remove the sugar-taste from my mouth.

I am slim, with firm muscles. I don't have washboard abs, and, don't care. I look good without being a slave to unnecessarily draconian rules, opting instead for sensible moderation.