what is it about red wine???

10inchtim

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Reservratol, Tim.
Yur other spelling mistaeks are ovbius, but someone might try to Gugul reservratol.

Terribly sorry, I was not aware that we were in competition for spelling honors here. I thought this was what we like to call an internet forum where things were "casual", I have enough formality in my life. I could have done some spell check, but why? This is not a Thesis, or you going to be doing my peer review?

FYI my PHD thesis is:

Consumption of heavy metals during primary fermentation by various strains of saccharomycies via the glutathione reaciton.

Why is it that small mided imps can only point out spelling errors, do you think gee, I don't have a clue about this shit, so I better point out spellig errors?

You don't see me pointing out that your name needs a Tilde above it. MABE U SHULD LERN HW 2 PUNKSCHUATE. Viola tricolor hortensis!

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Strangely enough, generally avoid Pinot Noir as it tends to have very high Biogenic-amine levels.

Very interesting...the pinot noir is generally my go-to grape, particularly the beaujolais varietals. I wonder what this says about me?

He's no doubt been enjoying and sampling the very best Australia has to offer.
As have I. :wink:

10inchtim

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Very interesting...the pinot noir is generally my go-to grape, particularly the beaujolais varietals. I wonder what this says about me?

As have I. :wink:

It means that you are not really sensitive to those compounds, and you prefer light, complex and complicated wines. You like the runway model type of wines: thin, challenging and striking in their own unique way.

I am more of a Marilyn Monroe type, thick, rick voluptious and well rounded....but not flabby! Shiraz, Malbec, Petit Sirah, Petit Verdot, (If you can find one) Nebbiolio, and Zinfandel top my list in terms of flavor.

If I had to pick a favorite to work with it would be Cabernet Sauvignon it is such a great performer, but it takes lots of patience and good barrels. On the white side I love to fool around with Viognier, it has stunning aromatics during primary fermentation.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Terribly sorry, I was not aware that we were in competition for spelling honors here. I thought this was what we like to call an internet forum where things were "casual", I have enough formality in my life.

I think you have slightly overreacted.

FYI my PHD thesis is:
Consumption of heavy metals during primary fermentation by various strains of saccharomycies via the glutathione reaciton.

Why would I care about your thesis?

This is not a Thesis, or [are?] you going to be doing my peer review?

On the evidence, it might have been painful.

You don't see me pointing out that your name needs a Tilde above it. MABE U SHULD [why include the 'L' when you are obviously trying to give an illiterate's phonetic spelling?] LERN HW 2 PUNKSCHUATE. Viola tricolor hortensis!

In English, you could use the tilde (no initial capital), or not.
Viola tricolor hortensis ... look, homophobia does not go well on this site.
I shall report your post.

10inchtim

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
No Response
So 10inchtim,
Where do you stand on the whole "plastic cork" debate?

Shit, you thought my rant about sulfites was long this could be eternal.

There is something to be said about using something natural to fill the hole, plastic things may get the job done, but somehow nothing seems to satisfy like the real thing.

All joking aside:

I love corks, 100% natural straight from the cork trees of Portugal. Now let me explain why:

Corks are a 100% renewable resource. Many people think that cork oak trees (Quercus Suber) are being cut down to make corks, but the truth is that corks are made from the BARK of the cork tree. It in no way shape or form hurths the tree to harvest it. As a matter of fact cork trees live LONGER if the cork is harvested.

When entering any sort of a debate about anything business related, follow the $$$. The cost goes something like this:

Real cork: $.50-.70
Plastic cork: $.07
Screw cap: $.02

If you are a major producer making upwards of 10,000,000 bottles of wine you can see how this could considerably effect your bottom line.

Follow the money, big wineries get someone to lobby the major wine magazines like Wine Dictator, grease some palms and villify the cork.
Then reap the benefits of saving $5,000,000+ per year. Pretty simple math if you ask me.

Now most people will give the opinion that the reason we should stop using cork is because of "Cork Taint" that is when the wine smells corked. The funny thing is that the cork does NOT cause that off odor, 2,4,6 Trichloranisole causes the odor. The base of that compound as most people will see: Chlorine.

Problem is that winemakers used chlorine for decades to clean their wineries, it is an exelllent sanitizer. However, when the right reactions occur Viola you have Trichloranisole in your wine and the wine never touched a cork. In fact I have had numerous bottles of "Corked Wine" that had a screw cap or synthetic in it.

2,4,6 Trichloranisole is VERY volitale 1 tablespoon could ruin ALL OF THE WINE ON EARTH. We measure its odor threshold in parts per Trillion. So basically it is not necessarly the corks fault for bad wine, it is usually faulty winemaking on the front end which causes the problem.

So why, besides the renewable side of things would I personally use a cork and waste all of that money? Because corks breathe, thats right they allow micro-oxygenation of the wine so they age. Use a screw cap or a synthetic and your wine will be locked in time. (or use tons of sulfite-see previous rant)

Now if I made fresh tasting Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling, Gewurztraminer, (Yeah, I spelled that right spelling partol boy) Viognier, or any other light delicate white I would use screw caps. They are a better choice for those types of wine. However I make wine for those who want to see their wine evolve and change over the years, that is why I use cork.

I love the thick, velvety, cigar box, leather, cedar and tobacco that comes with a properly aged 25+ year old wine. I am still drooling over my last bottle of 1959 Chateau Palmer.

Now if you want to get really nit-picky why the hell are we still using bottles. They are fragile, heavy and do not pack well. You will see me use a Bag in a Box prior to submitting to the (false) pressure to use cork alternatives. It is a smarter closure. PERIOD.

The Dragon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Shit, you thought my rant about sulfites was long this could be eternal.

There is something to be said about using something natural to fill the hole, plastic things may get the job done, but somehow nothing seems to satisfy like the real thing.

All joking aside:

I love corks, 100% natural straight from the cork trees of Portugal. Now let me explain why:

Corks are a 100% renewable resource. Many people think that cork oak trees (Quercus Suber) are being cut down to make corks, but the truth is that corks are made from the BARK of the cork tree. It in no way shape or form hurths the tree to harvest it. As a matter of fact cork trees live LONGER if the cork is harvested.

When entering any sort of a debate about anything business related, follow the $$$. The cost goes something like this:

Real cork: $.50-.70
Plastic cork: $.07
Screw cap: $.02

If you are a major producer making upwards of 10,000,000 bottles of wine you can see how this could considerably effect your bottom line.

Follow the money, big wineries get someone to lobby the major wine magazines like Wine Dictator, grease some palms and villify the cork.
Then reap the benefits of saving $5,000,000+ per year. Pretty simple math if you ask me.

Now most people will give the opinion that the reason we should stop using cork is because of "Cork Taint" that is when the wine smells corked. The funny thing is that the cork does NOT cause that off odor, 2,4,6 Trichloranisole causes the odor. The base of that compound as most people will see: Chlorine.

Problem is that winemakers used chlorine for decades to clean their wineries, it is an exelllent sanitizer. However, when the right reactions occur Viola you have Trichloranisole in your wine and the wine never touched a cork. In fact I have had numerous bottles of "Corked Wine" that had a screw cap or synthetic in it.

2,4,6 Trichloranisole is VERY volitale 1 tablespoon could ruin ALL OF THE WINE ON EARTH. We measure its odor threshold in parts per Trillion. So basically it is not necessarly the corks fault for bad wine, it is usually faulty winemaking on the front end which causes the problem.

So why, besides the renewable side of things would I personally use a cork and waste all of that money? Because corks breathe, thats right they allow micro-oxygenation of the wine so they age. Use a screw cap or a synthetic and your wine will be locked in time. (or use tons of sulfite-see previous rant)

Now if I made fresh tasting Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling, Gewurztraminer, (Yeah, I spelled that right spelling partol boy) Viognier, or any other light delicate white I would use screw caps. They are a better choice for those types of wine. However I make wine for those who want to see their wine evolve and change over the years, that is why I use cork.

I love the thick, velvety, cigar box, leather, cedar and tobacco that comes with a properly aged 25+ year old wine. I am still drooling over my last bottle of 1959 Chateau Palmer.

Now if you want to get really nit-picky why the hell are we still using bottles. They are fragile, heavy and do not pack well. You will see me use a Bag in a Box prior to submitting to the (false) pressure to use cork alternatives. It is a smarter closure. PERIOD.

Aren't you just devine!
Keep going on like this and I could develop a crush!

10inchtim

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I think you have slightly overreacted.

Why would I care about your thesis?

On the evidence, it might have been painful.

In English, you could use the tilde (no initial capital), or not.
Viola tricolor hortensis ... look, homophobia does not go well on this site.
I shall report your post.

I am a scientist / winemaker, not an english major. If you think that I am a homophobe...that is just funny.

10inchtim

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Actually, Pansys are some of the strongest and most resillent flowers on the planet. You should be honored I called you one. I just like to make people use search engines to find out what I just called them. It is strangely fun to make someone look up something new and figure out why I called them that. This is why I fit squarely in the nerd department.

With that my favorite horticulture term: Pseudotsuga menziesii e Dougei. (Douglas fir) but damn it is fun to say.

With that, cheers, I have a life to attend to.

10inchtim

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Always sounds good to me, I am stressed out over this moving to another country thing....Lets see what is in tank 5....I just racked my '05 cab out of the new hogs heads....Good night!

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Goodness sweet go right ahead and explain things.
It's such a novelty to have someone knowledgeable post rather than have to put up with the mindless dribble that Transformer has been inflicting upon us.
With a bit of luck the verbose know it all will learn something...but I won't hold my breath.
(mix sprite with it! Good lord and saints preserve us! )

May, I pour you another glass, love ? :biggrin1:

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yes it could drive me to drink..oppps! Just wait..I already am.
Goodie..time to crack another bottle.

Well, that would explain your antagonistic post earlier. After the first glass you've become a "mean & nasty" drunk. A bottle into it and I can imagine that you actually think you've become more intriguing, knowledgeable and sophisticated by ingestion & consumption somehow ? I might suggest you sober up, and maybe come back here when you can be a more civilized human being ?

D_Kaye Throttlebottom

Experimental Member
Media
Well, that would explain your antagonistic post earlier. After the first glass you've become a "mean & nasty" drunk. A bottle into it and I can imagine that you actually think you've become more intriguing, knowledgeable and sophisticated by ingestion & consumption somehow ? I might suggest you sober up, and maybe come back here when you can be a more civilized human being ?

dude - seriously...have a glass and mellow out.