Interacialationships

Gisella

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I think technically you're not a 1st generation immigrant, Gisella. If I'm not mistaken, your children would be 1st generation, and you would be considered simply an immigrant. The generation-counting is based on how many generations have been born in this country.

:biggrin1: Oh yeh...you are right..it have been so long that I get confuse...:rolleyes:

I'm a simple immigrant...and always will be that...

stud_hunter

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
:biggrin1: Oh yeh...you are right..it have been so long that I get confuse...:rolleyes:

I'm a simple immigrant...and always will be that...

Oh, hardly "simple" :wink: . You know, what I've never understood is what I'd be considered. 1 of my grandparents immigrated here from Quebec, 6 of my great-grandparents immigrated here from Italy, Germany and England, and 1/8 of my family, the Welsh side, has been here since the early 1800s. So if you average it all out what the heck am I? 1/8 of me is 2nd generation, 6/8 are 3rd generation, and 1/8 is like 7th generation. Brain freeze... I don't know if you're supposed to take the longest time or the shortest, or average them, or whatever....

Gisella

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Oh, hardly "simple" :wink: . You know, what I've never understood is what I'd be considered. 1 of my grandparents immigrated here from Quebec, 6 of my great-grandparents immigrated here from Italy, Germany and England, and 1/8 of my family, the Welsh side, has been here since the early 1800s. So if you average it all out what the heck am I? 1/8 of me is 2nd generation, 6/8 are 3rd generation, and 1/8 is like 7th generation. Brain freeze... I don't know if you're supposed to take the longest time or the shortest, or average them, or whatever....

Yep..is hardly simple matters of heart so deep and the process of immigrating..love for what you left and love for the new land that you learn to embrace...

But for sure the generations after that will have different and etc.. even dont know or forgot the one who came first..long or not so long ...and everywhere in this planet people are immigrating all over..Good Luck everybody!!!:cool:

Keep mixing keep blending!:smile:

Gain on 10

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Race is a biologically invalid term. It is a term purely of social construct, and has little, if anything, to do with genetics. Many people have a prefered set of physical characteristics which they are more attracted to. They may percieve these characteristics as being more abundant in a certain population... but it's all about perception.

Wonderful explanation. Sad it was needed. Sadder still that it went so unheeded.

danerain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Yeah, most people I meet think I'm just a white girl with a good tan LOL. I don't look very Latina but if I tell someone I am then they're like, oh I can see it now. Actually when my hair is my natural black I think I look more Latina. Right now it's auburn so most people just think I'm white.
Funny thing is when my hair is colored lighter I get hit on by more white guys, when it's black I must look more Latina because I get hit on by more Latino guys. I find that amusing.

I have pretty much the same thing When people think I'm black they take on this submissive manner when they deal with me, if they think I'm Latino they just try to get me up against something and take my pants off. Sounds cool until notice that the person is saying something to the effect of "You don't speak english, so you can just shut up.":biggrin1:

Yeah, the mixes are some of the hottest people on earth. Some of the most unusual too.

Gee, thanks. I love being reminded that I'm unusual when compared to nice, normal monoracial people:tongue:

I find that people of mixed ethnicity appear to me to be either breathtakingly, achingly beautiful, or absolutely mofugly. There is no middle ground. Anyone else find this? I know I'm not alone. I had never said it aloud, but a friend of mine said it to me the other day, and I laughed so hard I frightened my cat.

Again, thanks, I'd heard the fugly thing before (from girls who later try to force themselves on me) but never MOfugly:cool:

I really think it's all about what we're used to. I read an interesting article about racial mixing and how we're moving towards more and more of it. It also said a lot of people we don't consider "mixed" really are. Like in the US 80% of black people have white blood, and 50% of black people have Native American blood. And most Hispanic or Latino people are a mixture of European and Native North American. It seems like white Europeans just went running all over the world getting their genes in everything.

Yep, that pretty much sums it up. It's just annoying how if you don't meet someone standards of monoracial beauty, you are automatically fugly. And as most of you know, if your fugly in America, you don't matter. If you don't matter, it's okay to do TONS of fun stuff to you.

I think I'll go mope about being mofugly now.....:wink:

Gain on 10

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
African-American is a misnomer. African Americans are immigrants. What I am is American by nationality, black by ethnicity, and human by race.

Damn straight. There is only one race. Human. But there are many cultures and ethnicities. And we can all qualify for those. You can claim any ethnicity and be scientifically correct. So, choose whatever one you want. It's all good.

I've seen on NOVA (PBS in America) a show about race where they put up a man as white as Steve Martin why had two sets of full on African American Grandparents. He got up and said all this racist stuff about how his company only hired whites because blacks were too slow to learn and the white guys hollered it up...then they showed his grandparents on the screen, full on black "appearance" and it was a powerful demonstration on how close to the surface racism remains. The White army soldiers shut up then and realized they'd made a determination based upon appearance and skin color because it fit their vision of the world even though it was a LIE.

Race is an arbitrary thing someone, even yourself assigns. All white people are as mixed as any other ethnicity is. Everyone is mixed.

Gain on 10

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

You belong to the race of beings termed "Hottie"

I have science to back this.

D_Prudence_Admonition_Drightits

Experimental Member
Media
I do not have a preference of race or racial features. Being of a mixed background myself, I have dated guys of all backgrounds, and loved each one with equal intensity. I guess what I looked for more was a cultural compatability. There are some cultures where women are really treated terribly; and I don't care what color a guy is, I want him to give me respect emotionally, physically, and mentally.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Studhunter,

I would like to throw a little history into the mix here. The concept of race as it has been seen in the new world has been clearly tied to the time when slavery was practiced in North, Central and South America as well as the Carribean. To add a bit more confusion, depending upon whether it was a Spanish ,French or English area it determined the way in which slavery and racial classification were carried out. In the US, along the East coast Upper South, slavery was practiced under English rule. African slaves and White indentured servants as well as privileged white males mixed and created the first mulattos early in the colonies developments. Early on they may have had certain privileges, but with the increase of colonists from England flooding the shores who did not like the idea of bein g on equal footing with freed Mulattos, laws regarding who could be called "white" sprung up. It was more a term related to power rather than actual genetics. With the ratio of white to colored very close at that time there was a need to make distinctions and the predecessor of the "one drop rule" came into being. Being that no matter how much white blood flowed through the veins and regardless of features any degree of mixture would be classified as non white.
If the mother was white in states like Virginia, the children would be born free and called "free issue" since the status of the mother determined the status of the child. This was convenient since most of the intermixing came from white men and African women.
In the Gulf coast, primarily Louisianna, slavery was practiced under Latin rule. There were specific "Black laws" developed to govern the treatment of slaves and to determine conduct. However, with the emigres from Haiti after the revolution there were Free people of color with money and privilege who also owned slaves and Among there women the practice of placage abounded because of the laws against intermarriage between white and non white. Plantations for rice and sugar were much larger than those for tobacco and so the ratio of black to white was much more pronounced. Africans who were brought over for those plantations were in many cases overseen by others of African descent and because of their infrquent contact with whites their culture stayed more intact. Even though femmes des couleurs libres (free women of color) up until the mid 19th century often stepped into the accepted role of demi monde entering into contracted arrangements with White males of the priviged class, producing ever wealthier, educated and whiter offspring, they were still required to wear the "tignon" the head wrap which signaled them as a woman of color not to be confused with free white women. As more anglos entered these formerly French and Spanish territories after the Louisianna Purchase, more stringent laws grew up to further restrict the rights of the gens des couleur libres. Many people do not realize it now but up until Reconstruction there were three distinct groups , White, Black and Colored. But after Reconstruction with more stringent laws governing the newly freed slave as well as free colored people, they were made one. It was these free people of color who became the first leaders among Blacks as they moved into the 20th century.
As we know the institution of slavery and its descendant,segregation dogged the steps of people of color up until the last half of the 20th century.One of the last taboos to fall were the laws governing marriage between black and white. So it isnt a wonder that it has only been two generations of parents and grandparents who acknowledge their black offspring, but in most cases with the relatively new designation of "bi-racial" a term which too is a misnomer.
Now, it is time for me to get off my soap box.

B_David Berg

Just Browsing
Media
Yes, and society's effort to seperate you into "African-American" is entirely based on culture and not at all based on what you actually are.
But again, Bronxy, my point that we consider blackness a lowest demoninator. Many people who are considered "black by ethnicity" are really no more black than white. Back to the Colin Powell example. He is far more white than black but he's considered black because we consider anyone with any visible black features to be black.

Umm where did you get the idea that Colin Powell is even part white what to speak of being "mostly" white? i'm pretty sure both of his parents are of African decent. Although based on his skin tone his parents likley have mixed backgrounds. I don't think you know what you are talking about here.

stud_hunter

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Umm where did you get the idea that Colin Powell is even part white what to speak of being "mostly" white? i'm pretty sure both of his parents are of African decent. Although based on his skin tone his parents likley have mixed backgrounds. I don't think you know what you are talking about here.

Thanks for again proving my point. Both of Colin Powell's parents are largely white, but they are considered black, or as you put it, "of African descent." Again, many people who are probably 60%, 70%, 80% white, are still considered black if they have any visible black features.
And, by the way, I checked. Colin Powell's parents are from the Caribbean. Jamaica I think. And most Jamaicans have significant European blood. Certainly just looking at Colin Powell's skin tone removes any doubt that he has very significant European ancestry.

Gain on 10

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
There is no "white" is his point. There are no other races and no white races. It's all just opinion. Saying one person is 30% white and another is 35% white is arbitrary at best. That statement has no meaning in fact.

It's the equivalent statement to "He's 30% glpudilisp." You may think there's a glpudilisp, but no one can agree what one is. Basically everyone makes up their own definition of it and then starts with the death camps and crap. That's "race" in a nutshell. Just a made up thing like glpudilisp.

kuriousrebecca

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
haven't read all the posts in this thread, but, being someone who is in and has had interrelationships before, it's caused me pause to think for a second.

for me, i don't think i've had "preferences" when it comes to race. I certainly have never said "i'm going to date so and so because he's black," or " i'm not going to date so and so because he's white." Men of any colour can have the things i hold dear - charm, great smile, beautiful eyes, intelligence, strong physically/emotionally.

now that being said, i will admit to having a bit of a "rush" regarding my first interrelationship when it came to race, but that was mostly as a result of me dating "outside" my friends circle, and outside my gfs experiences. So it was more of a subject of conversation at that time, but we were all young. And wasn't with the person because of their race, or any stereotypes that came with it. I was with the person for other reasons.

i'd like to think, as the world grows "smaller," and countries become even more multicultural, that the nature of race discussion, certainly in North America, will change. I also wish all rap videos were about something other than "money, cash, hos" hahahaha. Call me an optimist...

Gisella

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
i'd like to think, as the world grows "smaller," and countries become even more multicultural, that the nature of race discussion, certainly in North America, will change. I also wish all rap videos were about something other than "money, cash, hos" hahahaha. Call me an optimist...

Bare with me people...bcause I'm thinking and trying to organize my view of things..but about the way I see the nature of view of race in the USA...:is mostly about color: black and white....I dont want even touch what white standings..but in my mind what I see as me and immigrant:

Just imagine..you have to be forced to immigrate because of slave traffic...they snap you from your village your tribe your ethinic family...observe the exchanges that goes inside this type of community their custumes and etc...than if you survived the ship journey..you enter a new land and etc...them it starts your new identity as a bought slave and all the attrocities and heavy struggles that goes with it. Inside your heart you do cry for your people, home,tribe and etc...you do speak a diffrent dialet than others that are in same slave situation than you..you have even to start to learn differents dialets to talk to them beside you (who looks like you as 'colored' but they are not familiar just because of that)... until you learn the new land tongue...and time and generations goes by...by now your inside identity is soaked with struggles and you are being put apart and diferenciated because the color the covers your body skin...doesn't matter if many mothers in different times gave births in the land..still you are somehow looked as inferior and laws are made to make sure you stay in this condition..because of your color. Than some improvements are made some changes takes place...you even start to call yourself a proud African plus American...as some way to grab an identity for yourself you embrace the whole blackness of a continent for you...but what you did not experienced and your ancestrals did and many more in this world knows by heart...is that even when we are proud of our continents, we do have a 'mother' nation that in reality depending of cultures is really a village and a tribe..very unique among all others near by...you could walk many distances to get water and pass by people of same color as you..but they were not even familiar not 'your' people your tribe...

Than what I think in all this situation black Americans because of so many things they learn, experienced, suffer about their color they see themselves as 'black' in a foggy mirror of distortions..they lost inside the touch of their villages long ago no information left about that and some may feel incomplete...but than I become emotional because I may know and feel as an immigrant and woman that it is a deep lost of identity our unique roots and as much babies I give bith in a different land I would hope they are embraced as beautiful as unique as having the same value as others mothers babies...and they feel they 'belong' and are allowed to be proud of me and my unique heritage and ethinicity that involves many things among them different tones of skins, that may show outside them!

But than is just my own personal sense of things inside my head and heart based in what I experienced and see.I have no ideia what others see,feel inside. I think is very cool the sense of villages, ethnicity etc we learn one anothers uniqueness as going to different villages, making fires, grilling food, exchange stories and when there is sparkles hmmm making love with the delicious hunk native ... sky full of stars and the full moon.mmmm...:hug:

B_David Berg

Just Browsing
Media
Thanks for again proving my point. Both of Colin Powell's parents are largely white, but they are considered black, or as you put it, "of African descent."

Sorry but you haven't "proven" anything. At this point you are merely "claiming" this "largely white" theory of yours. Based on the information presented you have done little more than speculate.

Section8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
All those words just to ask about jungle fever. :biggrin1:

You know, for me it was never about race.:rolleyes:

I was always attracted to certain physical features. Blue eyes with dark hair is very very hot. IF there was a certain race that had that, I would like them. :tongue:

I can say that I love accents.

South Ireland. The people are termed "Black Irish" - not due to any african ancestory, but due to the combination of having a kind of bluish-black hair,
blue eyes, and very pale skin.

Section8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I dont pick any race/nationality in particular however i do seem to end up with white guys all the time. I do know i lam a sucker for a accent, especially British (English Scottish, Irish)

And to be honest even though it may get me in trouble i am not attracted to Asian, Indian, Pakistani men...so far anyway, but who knows :confused:

Why would that get you in trouble? Too many politically correct people around
putting pressure on those who give their own race first preference.

People will call anything racism these days.

For the record, I love redheads with blue/green eyes.